Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheffield Dry Ski Slope

Poster: A snowHead
What is it like?

Ive never skied plastic.

How does it compare with Castlford snow dome in length (which is 165 metres)

the web site dosnt give a great deal of infomation on slope detail.

is it worth a visit for a change instead of Xscape?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry,

Sheffield, at a guesstimate, is about the same in length as Castleford, although its a bit more split up with a couple of different routes down from the top of the drag lift.

The surface at the top half is the honeycomb type material (the stuff everyone tells broken finger horror stories about) and the bottom half, which runs into and through the freestyle area is made of the white carpet type stuff (called Snoflex I think).

The freestyle area is quite good fun with a half pipe and plenty of large bumps and jumps to enjoy.

Personally I would choose Castleford everytime simply due to the surface, I just find artificial surfaces such hard work (this of course is probably down to my lack of fitness/technique rather than a fault as such with plastic).

Having said that I'd say its worth trying anything once, you may love it, and from memory I think Sheffield works out about half the price of Castleford for a couple of hours on a weekend.

Boy of the Hairy variety
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hairy Boy, the honeycomb 'toilet brush' stuff is called Dendix. And yes, I have broken my thumb on it ! Confused
Renry, snows better. I dont bother with Sunderland dry slope, I add the extra hour's driving and go to Castleford snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cast' is also only an hour away for me. We go about once every 6 weeks or so. Generaly midweek as its quieter (i presume) We do the lunch session 11am-1pm for £25 inc a lunch. The panninis are rather nice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lampbus, is that the ski slope at Silksworth? I learnt to ski there Razz I have never once regretted having 10 dry slope lessons before my first ski trip - i then got the most out of my holiday Smile

Renry, I would try the dry slope once so you can then decide for yourself - it will most probably be much less busy and for half the price you might just enjoy it more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry; The best time to go is on a frosty evening after 8pm (most people are drifting off to the bar or pub at that time so it gets progressively emptier). When it is frosty it is quite close to a smooth piste skiing experience, the uplift on the main slope is a T bar. It is definitely worth a visit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, never been to Sheffield dry slope but heard good things about it. I've just got back from the dry slope at Norwich (first time for 6 months). If you're lucky enough to be nr an indoor snow slope, then of course there's no real contest, but I'm not Sad , and I find the dry slope good fun. They are good for practicing technique and if sheffield is anything like the Norfolk ski club they'll probably have regular group sessions where you get instruction. Wednesday night is men's club night in Norwich (they have a women's club as well- different night more's the pity wink ) and for £6 I was with a group of 6 practising carving for 1 1/2 hours. It was great fun with good instruction. Other groups were doing different things such as moguls, short turns etc. Great value and great fun, it's now going to be a weekly fixture for me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry, I worked at the Sheffield Ski Village as an Instructor and the slope at Sheffield is definately longer than Castleford, I think its closer to 250m. The problem is that the Dendix on the main slope is very worn and not in the best state of repair. The advantage of Sheffield has to be the Freestyle arena (halfpipe, tabletop and rails) which is covered with Snowflex, if you are into that style of skiing. That said I would still probably go to Castleford as its snow as opposed to plastic.

There is a bit more variety regarding the terrain at Sheffield with a mogul field at the top left of the slope and the section of slope that goes under the lift line and there is also the ski jump ramp into the water (if that floats your boat). The bar is fairly good and so is the food and there's also the Snow & Rock shop on site. But as I said before I wouold still make the journey to Castleford if I was you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The advantages that Sheffield has over Castleford (other than being able to see it from my bedroom window!!)

1) It's outdoors. Obviously if the weather is bad, then this can be a disadvantage...but skiing was invented to be done outside, not in a fridge.

2) The freestyle area is good. Even if you're not into the "big" stuff, having a halfpipe and mogulfield gives a variety of skiing.

3) It costs less.

That said, most of my recent UK skiing has been at Castleford.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I could make an analogy - or two

If Skiing on snow is like making love to a beautiful woman then skiing on plastic or even an indoor slope is like making love to a blow up doll!!!

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guys & Gal's - when did you last visit sheffield ?
the free style snowflex is still there, but what was the main slope of dendex is only half as long as it used to be, the removed the top half.

great in summer if you want a tan, but i much prefer to do practice etc. at Cas.

HOWEVER

Big things planned for Sheffield, including a REAL SNOW SLOPE (a'la xscape only longer) and a cable car system

web site is here snowmountain Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Odin wrote:
Guys & Gal's - when did you last visit sheffield ?

Oooh...let me think... wink

Odin wrote:

Big things planned for Sheffield, including a REAL SNOW SLOPE (a'la xscape only longer) and a cable car system

Not sure exactly where things are up to, but (according to the Sheffield Star a few months ago) plans appear to be on hold for the moment after the council refused to support the housing part of the proposal (part of the grand plan was to build a new housing estate). Unfortunately, this was one of the ways that the project was being funded, so it appears to be "back to the drawing board".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Not sure exactly where things are up to, but (according to the Sheffield Star a few months ago) plans appear to be on hold for the moment after the council refused to support the housing part of the proposal (part of the grand plan was to build a new housing estate). Unfortunately, this was one of the ways that the project was being funded, so it appears to be "back to the drawing board".

This point is still under discussion. One of my clients works in the housing department on Sheffield city council and she says that they are wrangling about the amount of housing that is to be sold as it is in conflict with a council housing project. The argument stems over how many houses that the Snow mountain consortium want to sell off, the quality of those houses and what impact it will have on the council plans to sell their houses.

As far as I know building on the site was due to start over the next few months but that will oviously be set back until they sort this problem out. I will endeavour to find out more info from my client.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus, next time you fancy the extra hour in the car give me a pm and if at all possible i'll share the cost. That's of course if you want some more snowheads to come. snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Curtains, Its always fun to share Cool
Which part of Newcastle are u based in ?
latest report
lampbus, sunny bedlington , but i work in gateshead Sad
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
The advantages that Sheffield has over Castleford (other than being able to see it from my bedroom window!!)

I can see it out of my attic wondow. Never been though.
snow conditions
skanky, you're not about to tell me that your another snowHead that lives on my road are you?? wink

I've been many times....usually through work.
latest report
Elizabeth B, I'm near to Woodseats...if you are too, then get worried.
wink
snow report
skanky, phew!!! wink I'm on a different hill to you then....over where I now can't park because all the students are back in town!!
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
skanky, phew!!! wink I'm on a different hill to you then....over where I now can't park because all the students are back in town!!

When I was a student in Sheffield, I think that in our group of about 15, there were two car owners. But we were 'appy. wink
snow report
Lecturers didn't have cars when I was a student Shocked
ski holidays
Yoda, nobody had cars when you were a student Toofy Grin
latest report
Yeah...when I was a student I didn't have a car...but a lot of them do now....and park outside my house Evil or Very Mad
snow report
That's why we bought a house with it's own climbing wall...sorry drive.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy