Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge Sharpening

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ive just started skiing on a dry slope, and have found it very hard to get and hold a good edge. The edges on my skis are a little (in fact very) dull which i think is part of the problem. Usually i would get this done as part of a full ski service on the first day in a resort, but there doesnt seem to be anyone here in Irl who doees that.

I have a swix edging tool and have looked at their school website, but i just dont seem to be able to improve the sharpness of the edge no matter how many times i run it over. I might add that I've only been doing the side edge. Does anyone have any suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark, I suspect that if you looked at those edges under magnification they'd be quite rounded, because the dulling of a plastic slope is more likely to be more serious than snow - too much dirt tends to get transferred to the slope surface.

Only a base grind on a machine is likely to plane off enough metal to restore any sharpness, and this would probably be quite temporary.

The general wisdom seems to be not to use skis you'll use on snow on plastic, because the heat friction and wear to the base plastic also slows the snow performance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I'd rather feared that might be the case. I've got a little more edge on them now than I had after a few hours of going over them, I'm able to scrape a layer of finger nail on them now, which I recall as being one way of telling if they were sharp enough. Hopefully I wont be skidding around quite as much when I go back to the dry slope!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark2010, Is there any kind of a race club at your slope. They will know how to get (and keep) edges sharp ! It is much harder to get skis to grip on plastic, but blunt skis will not help.

If you are practising for instructor qualifications remember that (assuming it hasn't changed) quite a few of the things you will be asked to do will involve skidding, for which very sharp edges are very little help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and another thing ! If you can hotwax your skis, then POLAR_X from Data will protect them. If not then Zardoz works well too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, thanks for the pointer. Im only starting out up there, with a view to getting back into racing. As such I havent really spoken to anyone up there other than to ask if there was some one who serviced skis there (apparently there isnt). Last night was my first effort and i found it quite hard to keep my edges from skidding out from underneath me. Im sure i'll get used to it quickly enough, but i reckon sharper edges would help that along!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark2010, Have fun !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark2010, When you've tuned the side edge are you removing the hanging burr caused by the file or stone? It's ofet overlooked & many people often mistake the sharp feel of the burr for the sharpness of the edge it's removed all your edge work will be in vain. I've PM'd you some info.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy