Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bandit XX Mounting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got an old pair of Bandit XX's and when compared to other skis in the quiver the bindings are mounted much more forward. Suspect that as we don't see too many French skis over here in Austria perhaps the techy stuffed up the mounting (possibly mounting the mid-boot mark where the toe should of been).

So the question for ski tech's or Bandit owners is - on a pair of 170cm Bandit XX's how can I tell if they have been mounted properly? e.g. How far from the ski tip should the boot toe or mid sole mark be? (ca 300 mm sole length)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, about ...

I....................................................I

That far.

(provided your screen is the right size to display that information correctly.)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Fox,

That was about as much use as a one legged man at an @rse kicking party.

(Please note the question was for ski techies or Bandit XX owners, not expert skiers.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, ah, ok then.

The quick n dirty way of doing it:
1. Get your skis, turn one round so it is tip to tail, bases together.
2. Have it so the skis are just touching each other at the tip and tail (their natural camber should keep them apart in the middle.
3. You may need to move one ski forward or back so that they are aligned properly (the tips will probably be a few cms past the tails.
4. Get a measuring tape and measure the length between the two points where the skis touch. Half that distance, and you have the centre of the ski.
(you can also just use a piece of string, and then fold it in half.
5. Mark this point on the ski.
6. Measure back from that on one ski around 10cm. You shouldn't be too far off the mid sole point.

NOTE: This is NOT an accurate way of doing it, I am not claiming it is precise. I am offering it as a quick and dirty solution to get a reasonable idea of how close to the midsole mark his bindings actually are
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At point 6). Should that mark be just under the ball of your foot and as such you measure backwards by the distance from the ball of your foot to the mid point of your boot. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill, mmm, funny, I was just thinking of the exact same question. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiBod, Ah, great minds. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, Funny, I was thinking that too Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiBod, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, you are assuming that DB has a ball on his foot. (I am assuming he has opposable thumbs!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
marc gledhill, you are assuming that DB has a ball on his foot.

Yep, and a chain round his ankle.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Looks (very) similar to how Tele bindings are mounted - IIRC the centre point is used for the location of the pins on some tele bindings.

When measuring skis it's worth being aware of the fact that sometimes the graphics won't match from on ski to the next.. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, also. That method is, or was, used for setting bindings on piste/race skis and you are measuring the "running surface" of the ski on the snow.

But, in deeper snow the "running surface" changes as the whole ski base is in contact with the snow. Thinking whilst I type, this should move the mid point forward a bit shouldn't it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, on a B2, yes. On a twin, no.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy