Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question: Found a very good deal on a pair of very lightly used Völkl G4s should I get em?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey fellow snow heads.

Ive got a question.

Today when I was at my local ski store talkin to the guy there he mentioned he had a pair of very lightly G4s that he could sell for a very good price. They where used as rentals but with hiking bindings on them hence they have seen extreamly little usage and are in a vrey good shape.

Im currently sking my old 193cm G30s that I do love in the groomed stuff but feel are little too narrow and too long in the trees.

The G4s are 188cm.

I am 6'4'' 230lbs so I like my skis hard when it comes to the groomed stuff. I do like to ski trees and easily accessible offpiste. I do not hike as Im not in that good shape and dont have good enough mountain knowledge.

This winter Im goning to Fernie for 3 weeks.

For skiing in Fernie would the G4s be an upgrade over my G30s?

Tex
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TexMurphy, The G4s are (were?) a great ski. Stiff and burly, I used to enjoy skiing them. By 'hiking bindings' do you mean touring bindings? If they are touring bindings and you don't plan to tour on them it's best to avoid them. Especially as you are a big guy and like to 'ski hard'. The binding / ski interface is not as good as with regular alpine bindings.

Other than that. If I was going to Fernie for 3 weeks I'd get something wider underfoot. If you like Volkl have a look for some Gotamas or Mantras.

Where do you normally ski?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have Touring bindings on them now but I will get them with a pair of new bindings.

The price will be below 300 bucks for them including the new bindings.

Reason Im thinking about getting them is that I do want something wider then my G31s that are what 105-69-101 iirc. The G4s would give me a wider ski 118-83-106 .

Yeah I could go for a Gotama but I cant afford it atm as they would cost me about 900 bucks.

Where I normally ski is a hard question to answer. It all depends on how much money I have atm. Over the last 7 years Ive been in UTAH 3 times, Whistler once, Alps twice, Norway once and sidelined with injury one winter. If I look ahead over the comming years I would predict 50% alps, 25% norway and 25% north america.

Tex
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great ski, that and it's AX4 siblings.

"New bindings" = factory new bindings? 'F'so, or even if that price includes the touring bindings, I would jump on it. Heck, there's always Ebay.

If the bindings are used ones, I'd have to know more.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The new bindings are unused bindings. Im not exactly sure which ones it will be but it will be a last years models and at least 12 strength.

Tex
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TexMurphy, No doubt the ski would be a good replacement in terms of being similar to the G30s. I can see why the price is attractive.

Not sure I'd do it. There are loads of good deals, you've just got to look for them...

Good Luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:

Not sure I'd do it. There are loads of good deals, you've just got to look for them...

It is true, they are getting a bit long in the tooth.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah thats what Im thinkin... they are getting a bit old and there is alot of skis that have similar characteristics... offpist ski that handles well in the pist...

If you guys would sugest something from the 2005/2006 lineup that would be comparable or better then the G4 that I should look for.. what would it be?

Tex
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure I would go near e bay without a very good look in shops for 05/06 or 06/07 gear. There are comedians over there at the moment who are up to £333 (including delivery) on a pair of salomon foils with bindings with over a day to go - which is £50 more than snow and rock did them at the end of the season by mail... (they will mount for free later), and someone else has B2s on with a starting price £10 greater than S&Rs current price, and double the delivery charge...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynastar Legend Pro (fatter but stiff and carves very will)
Look out for Kneissl Tankers and Blizzard Titan 9s or Titan Pros (super stiff apparently!) too
Mantras (as mentioned above)
Gotamas are a bit less burly than the above and fatter still, so not so good on piste IMO. Great fun skis though. They ski short due to the massive twin tip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Id also like to add one more thing on me and my skiing.

I really do feel like a oldschool skier. I learned to ski in the 80s and yes I do edge alot and I push my skis quite hard. I do know how to carv but my carving technique isnt really that good. Dont get me wrong Im not a bad skier just quite oldschool. That and my body mass is why I like the Völkl skis they really allow me to ski oldschool while still evolving my carving technique.

You know how it is... ski the woods and challanging runs using my old techinque or stick to the groomed and practice my carving technique... yeah you guessed it my carving techinque doesnt get much practice... which is a shame because I do knwo I would enjoy the groomed stuff much more if I would just get my carving technique together.

Tex
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TexMurphy, any of the skis that Arno mentioned will let you ski like this. They have less side cut that 'traditional modern' skis. Did I just invent a new ski catagory?

I'm guessing that you're in North America, if so get to a local gear swap you'll find something right for you. You need something around 190cm, 90mm underfoot, stiff with very little sidecut (small turn radius). If you can find one of Arnos skis otherwise Volkl Explosives (any year)and possibly old Rossi B3 (blue / grey ones).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually no Im not from the US Im from Sweden... Wink

Reason this deal is a good one is that in sweden they are horribly bad at sales. Skis are one of the few things that they actually have clearance sales for but you rarely see bigger sales then 50%. Reason is that our stoopid stores use sales as a way to attract customers not get rid of stuff. So they drop stuff 10-20% call it a sale and advertize it all over the place. You get there and very little is on sale.

That said yes you can still make good deals on last years equip but you dont see the massive sales like you can have in the US.

I will keep my eyes open as the sales start to see if I can find any of the mentioned skis below 350. Really with the upcoming 3 week fernie trip my wallet is really thin. If not Ill just go with the G4s.

Tex
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TexMurphy, I have sometimes found some of the cheaper prices on German websites. These guys seem to have some cheap mantras going (although the really cheap 05/06 ones are only in shorter lengths...) Did you mean 350 pounds or euros? Looks like they will post to sweden for 15 euros. Some other deals on other skis look reasonable
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TexMurphy, Sorry, my mistake. You must be able to find some suitable skis in Sweden.

Is it important that you buy skis? Why not rent?
latest report
If you are going to Fernie check out The Guide's Hut http://www.thehut.ca/# (site being rebuilt at the moment) or Ski Base www.skibase.com (site seems a bit out of date) in advance - give them a call & they'll be glad to help, may even have some of last year's fats on pre-season sale that they'll reserve for you with a credit card to get mounted when you arrive
ski holidays
@parlor

Well I could rent a pair of powder skis for the real powder days, true. But renting for 3 full weeks isnt really an option as it would more or less cost the same as the G4s. Sure by renting you always get the latest stuff but you can also get stuff you arnt really happy with.

If I can ski close to 5 weeks on the skis in 2 years I might as well buy them.

@fatbob

Thanks for the links. Ive mailed skibase but the email addy on thehut´s site doesnt work. Will give them a call though.

Thanks guys
Tomas
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy