Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - buying abroad or in UK

Poster: A snowHead
I am toying with the idea of buying some boots and I am wondering what the pros and cons are of buying boots in the UK or abroad.

There is a possibility of my going to Andorra this season which, being a tax free haven, should be cheap - but is cost the only factor?

Would love to hear your views and I'm guessing SZK will have an opinion wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you buy them in resort, make sure you do it near the start of the trip, not the end - if you need adjustments done, then you have time to get them sorted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kosciosco, On the way to Andorra, pass by Chamonix to see SZK and then you won't worry when you buy them in Andorra Twisted Evil Seriously, boots are no cheaper than in France and there is no substitute for service
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kosciosco, I bought my boots in the UK from S&R, and spent 3 hours on making sure I got it right. My SO got his in resort, he skied in several pairs before finding the right ones. Most hire shops are happy for you to do this and won't charge you. We were both happy with our boots. Very Happy

The other alternative is to get along to the sH boot clinic on the 23rd October, for CEM, SZK and the other fitters from Lockwoods to sort you out. I am going to this clinic for my next set of boots. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17998
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the end of the day it's the quality of the shop staff whether you buy here or abroad. This is a terrible generalisation but I wouldn't buy in Andorra. There may be good shops there but I have seen plenty of boots bought in Andorra (yes they might be cheap) which are 2 or sometimes 3 sizes too big. Same applies if you as much as consider buying at a ski show - they might be cheap but if they don't fit it really is false economy.

In the UK I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Lockwoods in Leamington. Whether you go on the special snowheads day or any other day really makes no odds. They have a good team of fitter and are normally open Tuesday-Saturday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Adrian29, Welcome to snowHead You're not Aid from the eagles ski club, I hope Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco, where i could sit here and defend buying in theUK over buying in resort, there would be plenty of people out there that would come up with counter arguments.... wherever you buy, service is the key as has been said so many times before. find a bootfitter and work with them, bare in mind that it may well take more than one visit to the shop wherever it may be.

there have been comments about buying in Andorra, and in a lot of the cases that i have seen the boots have been way too big, but in saying this, the same thing can happen in any country. wherever you decide to go, good luck Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of the benefits of buying in resort is that if you go to a shop that does a brisk hire business, then they'll usually give you a money back comfort guarantee on the boots, and put them in their hire stock if it doesn't work out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Brilliant mate - I want to do the valley blanche do you hire rope?!?!!! Oh and I dont want to ski down I just want to skin up if that's ok. When I reach the Aguille I'll take the lift........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Evening Charlie!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LARGEZOOKEEPER,

Not really au fait with this messaging Sport (I assume you are the infamous Alfie North) but when you come over give us a shout on the mobile and we'll meet up for a few beers. Got some good pics of you and your lovely lady at the wedding. Same for you Charlie if you are coming up from Bicester for a couple of nights for this boot fitting thing we should have a night out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adrian29, My lovely lady wasn't at the wedding Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
Adrian29, My lovely lady wasn't at the wedding

Did you take Mrs LZK instead? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Shock, horror, probe
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LARGEZOOKEEPER, (on topic, vaguely), I expect to be buying boots soon - are you in Cham on 10-12th November?
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Small one mentionned that you were dropping by, I should be around but I might have to go to Panorama
ski holidays
Adrian29, you seem to have your zookeepers mixed up old chap Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

i will be picking up the small one (and large if he is coming) from the airport on Sunday so will definately be there for one night ...possibly monday night as well, it all depends on how busy i get on the tues back at home

Kramer, a good independant uk shop will offer the same types of guarantee, if not better, you are also protected by thew sale of goods act, something that most foreign shops have never heard of. as has been said by so many people find the right bootfitter and the problems are normally resolved pretty quickly Toofy Grin
latest report
kosciosco,

If I were buying, I would try and get to Chamonix - its a great place - and go to the zoo, if I wanted a fit, I would go and see CEM, you live close enough. Maybe PM them both and take it from there. Again, if I were you, I would try and get along to their session in Lemington and see whats what.
ski holidays
Im going to be in Cham early next year and I need a new pair of boots. I'd rather give the business to a fellow snowhead plus im sick of being sold boots by people who know even less about them than i do! Whats the name of SZK's shop, and where abouts in the town is it, or does he have a webpage or anything with contact details?

Mark
snow conditions
Mark2010, FootWorks, and its at the bottom of the Aguile cable car.
snow report
Cheers Very Happy
latest report
Will I get funny looks if i go in asking for Small Zoo Keeper?? Twisted Evil
snow report
Mark2010, you could always ask for ediblepants instead! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mark2010, best thing to do is mince in wearing a one piece suit with some snowblades over your shoulder. They'll all know who you're there to see...
ski holidays
Mmm. One piece + Snowblades.
ski holidays
comprex, Quick, find Murdoch that suit would be wicked with his boots Madeye-Smiley Laughing Shocked
snow report
Very confusing - I give up
snow conditions
Adrian29, you thin k this is confusing Laughing Laughing just wait around
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Mark2010, best thing to do is mince in wearing a one piece suit with some snowblades over your shoulder. They'll all know who you're there to see...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
The Vested Interest Camp says Buy in Britain. With Capital Letters Because I REALLY want to make the point. I also write to local newspapers In My Spare Time. And am aged 107.

But there are good reasons for most folk to buy locally, mainly to do with fit guarantees and dealing with people who (should) really want you to go back again.

And it's a campaign we're running, too. So I should put my mouth where my fingers are.
snow report
You can't fit boots properley where there ain't no snow unless you're prepared to travel back and forth to where you have bought them from.
A good bootfitter will get close first time, but will want to refit. Unless you ski well and regularly indoors you are not going to give the boot enough time to settle and could well be on your holiday when problems arise.
I don't wish to say that the people in the U.K. are doing a bad job, Shops like Lockwoods are testement to this, however when i was fitting in the U.K. should i find my client between sizes or shapes, i'd edge on the generous side as i wouldn't see them again until after their holiday, here on the mountain i can edge on the precise side and know if there is a problem they'll stop by, have a beer and we'll do the work. This gets quicker results and a closer fit long term. The problem with buying abroad is language barrier and knowing where to find a good fitter, a good reason to use chat rooms and forums i guess! Little Angel
ski holidays
My man, I would never diss a native tongue experienced operator, wherever they are based. Well, I might, but only very quietly and where you couldn't ever hear about it.
There simply aren't enough zookeepers to go around, though we do know where they hang out. I should make the point to all that I have used Footworks before to get my X-Waves adjusted, knowing their rep. That was a long time before the internet was invented btw.
ski holidays
fallliner, That must mean that the small was a micro and the large only a small
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I was once NANOZOOKEEPER
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You i belive were POSHZOOKEEPER
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, That's nothing I used to be ANGSTROKEEPER
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, If you're going to say rude things, you could at least spell them correctly
latest report
Certainly my skirts were a lot shorter back then.
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Oh i made me head spin then, started talking to myself about being you, i think! Shocked
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, That you did my boy Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy