Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for family orientated ski companies.

Poster: A snowHead
Not interested in the usual suspects – Mark Warner, Ski- Esprit, Club Med etc. done them all and looking for a change. Looking for a small independent company with good service.

We are a group of 14 (4 families) and would ideally like a catered chalet in a good location (ski in, ski out) with good child care i.e. they pick up and drop off for a full day. Happy to consider any resort within France, Austria or Italy.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MarkH, I'm not sure you'll find a small independent operator with child-care facilities but what you should find are lots of small operators who know exactly how the local creche/ski schools work . In our village, we have a very good nursery/creche that takes infants from 18mths up to 12 yr old kids, they can look after them all day and can pick up/drop off kids for lunch and take them back for their afternoon ski school lessons. They let you drop off your children bfore 08.45 and will keep them after 17.30, so yopu get to ski school if needed and donb't have to rush back immediately you've finished skiing.
We know this from personal experience and whilst we're happy to help guests sort out the logistics, we do not take guest's children to and from the nursery, I suspect we are not alone, I don't know of any other independent operator in our villagel that offers that service. Incidentally in our village Ski Espirit is the largest UK TO. I'm not knocking their operation which I think is very professional and well run but we've had guests who've stayed with them and the next year opted to save a lot of money, still enjoy the chalet experience but follow the French pattern, find the local nursery/creche and work out for themselves how to best ensure they and their kids have a great time.
We can also arrange for baby-sitters, the local Tourist Office has a register of child-minders whoc can either come to the chalet or take infants in to their own homes, if all-day care for very small babies is required.
As a recommendation, our village La Rosiere is very good for kids, if you got to our website www.tracksvacations.com you'll find a link to the Toursit Office website with lots of details about kid's facilities.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MarkH, We used Ski Hillwood for two years and then Ski Esprit another time. We were very happy with both.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MarkH, How old are the children and is there any particular time that you are planning on going away?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MarkH, how old are the children. If they are over 5 SkiMiquel is excellent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.familyski.co.uk/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MarkH, Les Gets /Morzine - Ski Famille www.skifamille.co.uk , smallish company with 5/6 chalets. They also have their own nannies .We've stayed with them and they are very good - looked after friends' 2 horrors brilliantly.
. I think they only have 1 ski-in ski-out though and given that it is at 'Chevannes' then I would avoid that chalet as it is out of town and not easily accessible by road in bad weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been using skibeat.co.uk with kids for 10 years now and can happily recommend them.
I used familyski and was very unimpressed with their food but it was the last week of the season and they were clearly using everything up and we get a very good deal. They are fantastically well located in Ardent - the best lift in the PDS and a very good area for families.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used LeSki last season and they were very good. They did an early children's supper and had their own in-house creche and nannies. We went with another family, and the chalet was dominated by families and I heard no complaints whatsoever.

They go to about 3 resorts but only do childcare in La Tania, which is a nice, quiet family-orientated place. Easy access into the 3V.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies!!

I have Chalet La Grange http://www.familyski.co.uk/1/resorts/portes/lagrange.aspx with Family Ski on hold until the end of the week. Looks very nice, and The Portes du Soleil - Ardent is a lovely area.

I am still checking out the other resorts, but this is the favourite so far.

Again thanks for the recommendations!

Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax, OK enough's enough, I don't think anyone (least of all me) has a problem with you spamming the poop out of your business in the 'Chalets and Apartments' section but when you abuse the resorts zone by forcing a link to your own business and not even making the effort to put in a direct link to http://www.larosiere.net/uk/index.html . . . you're just taking the p¡ss out basic good manners.

It's one thing promoting your business, it's another when you treat this community as a cash cow. I don't care what you think about me but the rest of this forum deserves more respect than you grant them. Snowheads is not a cheap Pound Store for you to pick-n-mix from because you don't want to spend money advertising in the mainstream ski press.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, valid point.

Although I wouldn't want another thread to go down an abuse route.....

Perhaps a PM from a mod to David@traxvax?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, Don't think I need to say more.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, bit if an over-reaction, don't you think? You've always got the option of ignoring him if you don't like it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, I was thinking more about the response your post would get wink Very Happy
ski holidays
Lizzard, MarkH is a newbie, he deserves better, cathy, you jest wink
snow report
It's not a problem for me, as an occasional user of Snowheads, if someone wants to promote their chalet... but as a heavier user of other (non ski related) sites I know it can be a nuisance. I suspect more so on a site like this as no doubt there are a lot of chalet owners who could self promote...!
ski holidays
Masque, you really are a prize berk aren't you, once again another display of your spleen and temper.
snow conditions
David, huh? Na, just pointing out the obvious.
ski holidays
Masque,aka Supergrass, another opportunity for you to complain to someone?
latest report
David, OOh behayave! ©K.Williams
snow report
MarkH. Have you considered the Moon? (just kidding!)

Photo: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/slasherman1971/spam-on-moon-web.jpg

One small sidestep for a man, one giant leap for spamkind
snow conditions
Where's Goldsmith ?, someone go and get him out of the sweet shop Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Puzzled
snow report
Sh%t, late yet again Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow report
I'm swimming in the Sea of Tranquility. Back in 5 minutes.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, Little Angel
ski holidays
MarkH, Would also recommend Ski Beat. USed them for three years when kids were young (3 months on) as nursery was great and chalets a good standerd. The ones we used were in La Tania, prices always reasonable as well.

Unless catered is a must, also consider a more DIY route. We've booked our own chalet last few years with friends and family on self-catering basis as gives more flexibility for those with kids to eat early, or to go out if there's a babysitter. Bit of research around the net will get you lists of Nanny Service or similar. We've used the Nursery in Vallandry recently and has been great.

Finally of course its never to young to get them skiing! Our youngest started at three this year in ESF and was in nursery in PM
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarkH, looking at the prices of Chalet La Grange is there any chance you could hire a s/c chalet and bring out grandparents to help with getting kids to ski school/doing the cooking?

I'm sure it'd be cheaper and they'd get to spend some time with their grandchildren (this is how you'll need to spin it rather than saying "did you ever fancy being a chalet maid").
snow report
Boris, My daughter also started at 3... this will be her 6th year! Not bad for an eight year old! First year for my son, a 4 year old... obviously a late starter! Wink

We just prefer the fully catered route... I am holiday and can't be arsed to cook!
snow report
MarkH, I agree. Getting changed and venturing out can be a pain with young uns.
snow conditions
ben wright, Nice idea... but never in a million years would that work with my parents!! They woudn't stay in a small chalet, they would want a "5* boutique hotel"...!
snow conditions
MarkH, Excellent - this will be the second time for my Daughter, now 4 and 3rd time for the twin boys who will be just short of 6.

Fair enough on catered chalet - my wife hates the self-catering route and the rule is that I cook. Happy with this as like cooking!
ski holidays
MarkH, make it a condition of you organising the trip that one of the other families has to supply the "help" wink
latest report
MarkH wrote:
I have Chalet La Grange http://www.familyski.co.uk/1/resorts/portes/lagrange.aspx with Family Ski on hold until the end of the week. Looks very nice, and The Portes du Soleil - Ardent is a lovely area.
Very Happy

I reckon that's a pretty good choice MarkH. I've always thought that the Family Ski chalets up at Ardent look good and I've often noticed a healthy ratio of staff to children when we've seen them out with the kids.

The only downside of Ardent is that there's only one bar - l'Escapade (I think). But it does do (generally good) apres music. Last season, there was one performance that was pure magic - a French guy singing "You're booootifulllllll...eats trooooooooo..." (think wolf howling) Shocked Shocked Shocked A truely moving experience.

If you've got a night off then there's an excellent restaurant down by Lac du Montriond called Au Bord Du Lac, which is run by a lovely, but fiesty old lady who loves kids.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Having just the one bar is not a problem when you are on a family holiday we only go out the one evening when it’s the cook’s night off. We are going with friends who know the area really well, and they mentioned that there is a great restaurant in Ardent - must be the same one. But it is always good to hear the same recommendation from someone else! Very Happy
snow conditions
MarkH wrote:
Having just the one bar is not a problem when you are on a family holiday...

I suspected that to be the case.

I'd have thought that Ardent would have served you very, very well. It's got, probably, the most useful lift on the PDS on your doorstep with a ski school at the top of the bubble and good beginners terrain in the Linderats bowl.
latest report
PhillipStanton wrote:
I'd have thought that Ardent would have served you very, very well. It's got, probably, the most useful lift on the PDS on your doorstep with a ski school at the top of the bubble and good beginners terrain in the Linderats bowl.

I am told that's where we drop the children off for ski school. Place sounds ideal!

Do you have place in Morzine?
snow conditions
MarkH wrote:
Do you have place in Morzine?

We do, in Morzine at the Thonon end of town. We've had it for two seasons, although this coming season will be our first there full time - we're doing our BASI instructor qualis.

Ardent is our favourite lift to ski from as it gives lots of options for terrain - left takes you into the excellent Linga sector; straight on takes you over into Switzerland and right takes you into Avoriaz proper.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Off topic I know. But what are the prices like in the Morzine area? The friends we are going with, rave about the place, and we have been considering buying somewhere for a while. I have been thinking if it's as good as they say, maybe we'll buy a couple of apartments between us - gives us flexibility for larger groups and can be let individually. A bit premature I know, especially as I haven't even been there, but interested nevertheless!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy