Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recoomend a book on avalanche awareness and avoidance?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I hope to improve my understanding of avalanches this season, where they are most likely, how to avoid them, search and rescue techniques, etc. Can anyone recommend a good book which is aimed at those with no or little understanding of this topic?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk, last year browsed some books at Snow + Rock at Chertsey store, but found the pisteurs ( spel? ) site also very good.

have a look at http://pistehors.com/news/ski/2005/12 - the page I 've pulled up is at random. I remember reading some good scientific stuff here last year - just have a look around the site and you'll hopefully find it.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 18-09-06 20:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tony Daffern - Avalanche Safety for Skiers, Climbers and Snowboarders
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, www.pistehors.com is snowHead davidof, he did an avalanche beeper lesson for us at the first EOSB.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FenlandSkier, thanks for that - did not realise it was davidof - I did find the section on explaining how avalanches arise and the science around them very informative and is my favourite source of reference on this subject snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The book Off piste with Wayne Watson gives lots of advice on where and when to ski off piste. Also, most importantly, where and when to not ski off piste. It is a book of stories about peoples experiences on the mountains with advice on what went wrong. Daffern's book is excellent for technical detail, Watson's book offers another view.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, Allen and Mike's Backcoutry Ski guide (goes with 101 Telemarktips) has a really nice, concise chapter with (IMV) pretty much all you need to now.

Snow Sense (can't remember the author) - contains more of the science.

Avalanche Safety for Climbers and Skiers by Tony Daffern very good too - although it reminds me too much of a geography text book.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk,

There is some excellent info at the Scottish Avalanche info service , "Chance in a million" is an excellent , clear , understandable book - although it is slightly scottish centric , the physics are universal. Its the only book I ever read on the subject.

Steve
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a good account of avalanches, you should read Snowstruck - In the Grip of Avalanches, by Jill Fredston, who has been studying and working with avalanches in Alaska for most of her career. It makes for some grim reading, but fascinating nonetheless.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"As mentioned by stevepick - "A Chance in a Million" by Bob Barton & Blyth Wright published by the Scottish Mountaineering Trust (SMT)

A good book which "...provide the kind of understanding of snow conditions that is a prerequisite of safe travel for climbers, skiers..... The text includes analyses of a large number of avalanche accidents dating from 1899 up to the present day. A detailed section on the physical causes of avalanches allow these incidents to be interpreted with informed hindsight and a further chapter describes the techniques of protection avoidance and rescue that can be of life saving importance on the mountains"

All incidents occurred in Scotland but relevant worldwide.

Paul
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain - Bruce Tremper. Lots of scientific detail on the but well written and pretty easy to follow even for people (like me) who aren't of the scientific bent.

The book accompanying www.powderguide.com . The theory of how avalanches are caused is all very well, but how to you apply it to the question of whether or not to ski a particular slope. This book sets out a couple of methods for deciding whether or not to go - really useful IMO
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy