Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another "what board to buy" thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I am contemplating buying my 1st board and could do with some advice...

I would describe my standard as intermediate(ish). I've been boarding since 2005 and I try and do a week abroad at least once a year. Plenty of visits to the Snowdome in-between. I can link turns and carve with no probs, ride switch a bit (as long as I stay on my toe edge), do small jumps and ollies without rotation and jib a bit - only 50-50 though.

I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh about 14 stone and I have size 12 feet.

I learnt to ride on a borrowed, seriously beat up Salomon driver which had not been waxed for years and had bug-all edges. Since then I have hired when I've gone abroad and used the Snowdome's boards - both of which always seem to be Burton Cruzers.

I am contemplating getting either a Rome Manual or an Icon Wallpaper, both of which seem to be pretty heavily discounted in the end of season sales. I haven't tried either and do intend to before I buy, but both boards have decent reviews so I'm pretty confident that either will be ok. I'll probably put Salomon Relay or Burton Custom bindings on.

So, after all that waffle my questions are:

- Should I bother buying or just continue to rent when I go abroad? I'm not sure if it would be wasting my money to buy, when I'd then have to also shell out on maintaining the board and transporting it when I go abroad. Also while I'm learning to jump / jib is this better on a rented board in case I damage mine?

- Would you recommend the two boards I'm considering for my level? I wouldn't really want to spend much more than £300 on board / bindings and I reckon in the sales I shouldn't have to if I go for these.

- Should I go for a wide board or a normal size? I normally use a 164, previously I haven't rented a wide board to my knowledge and my feet haven't dragged, although that might be because I have the bindings at +15 -15.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i think you should deffo buy a board. the difference between rental gear that has been used and abused and a new board is unreal - if you go to tamworth just go to the TSA shop there and ask for a demo of the board you're interested in. you'll end up buying i guarantee it.

as to which board i guess it depends what you want it for - but i'd say you're almost certain to need a wide board with those hooves Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Update - I went to TSA and ended up buying an ex-demo 08 163 K2 Titan with Mission bindings for £200 less than it should have been. I tested it 1st and compared it to a 165 Burton Air which felt horrible by comparison. I am very pleased but also highly frustrated that I'm going to have to wait the best part of 10 months to give it the shredding it deserves.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ronaldothefrog, excellent, no more crap hire stuff Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a good board.

You definitely need a wide board (26cm+ wide) which the Titan is.

Yo Scoops, I had a look at the website of the guy who did the ski test in Val Thorens. Was looking at VIST ski bindings but one thing lead to another and I ended up buying a new board!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ronaldothefrog, good call. Its so much less hassle having your own gear. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DebbiDoesSnow, until you have to drag through a airport Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, What !!! you don't play knock over the annoying loud tw@t in the airport ? Great Fun Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bikeandsnow, all you now need is a new bike then, get shopping Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buy the prittest one !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cookie monster, I did Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ronaldothefrog, soooo... what did you go for?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i think you chose the rome ????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pic please Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, I got a K2 Titan in the end. See the update about 12 posts up Laughing
latest report
Come and try out some boards and kit at the ski and board camp in Tignes during the autumn - from £99 you get 3 nights catered accommodation, Geneva transfers, lift pass and use of test equipment...no obligation to buy anything, just come for a try out or take advantage of a good excuse for some cheap early season riding!!

PM me for details if you might be interested or to get website details.
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, is this the atomic thing or something else? That's such a good deal...
snow conditions
Swirly, i think it is, Snowheads heading out in Oct and Dec with a few individuals going on other dates. I intend to go at some stage too and it is good to know some boards will be there Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops, I'm not going as I'll have no income at that point, will need to do as much writing as possible and what's 3 days when there's a whole season ahead wink
snow report
Swirly, are you decided then upon a season and a resort ?
snow conditions
rayscoops, yeah L2A it's coming together.
latest report
Swirly, Last year it was "Atomic Boot Camp" and it just involved Atomic skis and boots. It worked really well, so we've built on it this year and teamed up with Edge2Edge so that we can offer other manufacturers (so this year it's not exclusively Atomic), and include snowboards (lots of snowboarders came last year anyway just to take advantage of a good deal). Burton equipment will be available for testing,,,all included in the price.

I'm heading out for the start at the end of September to get hold of all the boards while it's still spanking new Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy