Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge bevel angles.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch wrote:
veeeight, why did anyone ever want to detune in the first place? Never ever felt the benefit myself.

Because your average holiday skier with their wishy washy tail sliding heel pushing *style* would find sharp tails interfering with their *gracefulness* in their tail sliding turns.

As for sharp tips engaging - whoa - they would scare themselves silly!

Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SHello, I reckon that whitehorn must get different stock as all the UK Volkl's are 2 degrees, both pre & post the K2 acquisition & Chineese production. 4 degrees seems a bit extreme for anything other than a race ski. Must be bloody icey down under :shock.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am wondering that tooo spyderjon, all the Heads I've seen here and Canada have 1,1 out of the factory. Either that or his trubar is not.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, that must also include Germany then as mine came direct from Conrad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

ski, I've never done any base waxing for plastic racers so what's the current hot set-up?

I expect RJS may have somthing to add.. but here's what I do.....

Hot was/Hot scrape with a yellow (clean and heat ski base)

Then Hot wax with CH4 or Polar-X. Scrape with a sharp scraper.

Then Zardoz on the top.

For training - that's it. That will last about 4 hrs of skiing. - Top up with Zardoz weekly.

For racing;

Before the Zardoz I rub in a layer of Data racing silver - then Zardoz. I can't be doing with taking a generator to races to hot wax whilst I'm there ! I'll do the silver/Zardoz after each run.

Skis will be carried to the start, and then they'll have v slippery stuff (cable grease), and Sheen applied to speed the start. There seem to be as many variants to apply at the start as there are racers !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight wrote:
I am wondering that tooo spyderjon, all the Heads I've seen here and Canada have 1,1 out of the factory. Either that or his trubar is not.

Yup, US heads are 1,1 as well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, Thanks for that, it's about what I thought. The cable grease sounds a good base clogger Shocked.

I'm talking to Dominator at the moment about some cold 'speed start' overlays for one of the Lions guys so I'll ask them if they have anything trick for plastic.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, or anyone else tried Cerax #5 on plastic?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, I do pretty much the same as ski, with a few variations. I wax about once a week with Polar-X. Don't normally bother with scraping much after the Polar-X - the plastic scrapes any excess off after about 2 runs anyway. If I'm feeling keen, I do that Zardoz/wax combo mentioned some time back (by David Goldsmith IIRC) - lather on some Zardoz before the wax, then let it bubble into the wax layer, so it stays pretty slippery all through the depth of the wear. The only slightly scary bit is that it does smoke rather a lot while ironing in the wax.

For the start I either use just Zardoz or the hi-tech solution of that plus Tesco's Value Washing Up Liquid (at the princely sum of 13p/l Very Happy ). Surprisingly though, my fastest times have been with the Zardoz only, so I'll probably junk Tesco's worst from now on. Most people seem to use a combo of Blue gunk (often with some Yellow gunk on first) and Mr Sheen - all applied in the 2-5 mins before your start. One guy mentioned to me that they'd done some comparitive evaluations of start preparations; the result was that putting something on made a huge difference over nothing, but what you put on was pretty much irrelevant. So it's probably all psychological!

ski, did you ever try that Data Super-Slip Cream? I tried putting some on once, but the base then felt really rough and tacky so I hurriedly rubbed it all off again and threw on some more washing up liquid. I guess I wasn't doing it right Sad . I've also not tried that carbon-black stuff they sent me either...looks rather a faff.

As for edge angles, I use 87/0.5 (Fischer RC4). I used to use 88, but get a far better edge hold at 87. I do really notice it going off after about 4 runs down the matting though, so they get sharpened (about 2-3 swipes with the file) about once every two training sessions, and a good going over with a medium stone between each race run.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:

Sorry no, I've never done any waxing for plastic.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Me neither-- but I guess it's similar to CH4/Polar X - i.e. extrememly hard ?

Quote:

ski, did you ever try that Data Super-Slip Cream? I tried putting some on once, but the base then felt really rough and tacky so I hurriedly rubbed it all off again and threw on some more washing up liquid. I guess I wasn't doing it right . I've also not tried that carbon-black stuff they sent me either...looks rather a faff.

Yes I've used the Data Super-slip. I liked it - but as I've got a load of racing silver - will have to get rid of that first Puzzled

Quote:

One guy mentioned to me that they'd done some comparitive evaluations of start preparations; the result was that putting something on made a huge difference over nothing, but what you put on was pretty much irrelevant. So it's probably all psychological!

Interesting. Our best racers *do* get better times when they've waxed, but for old gits (i.e. me) I need all the help I can get - even if it is only imaginary Laughing Laughing

Quote:

Don't normally bother with scraping much after the Polar-X

I find it lasts a bit longer if scraped - but I don't get to ski as much as GrahamN, Sad

We've tried the carbon black - works best with a roto-brush - see comments aboout power above.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy