Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody snowHead

Sorry for being a noob, I only tend to frequent DVD, AudioVisual forums and bargain forums.

I caught the ski bug on 2 school trips (10-12 years ago) and would really like to go again at the end of January with my girlfriend (not learned to ski yet).

I remember finding this site a couple of weeks ago and seeing a link to a Times article that talked about the merits of last minute bookings (It even mentioned USA for £200 or something stupid). Im assuming that its worth waiting until the last week before booking a holiday? I cant see driving will be cheaper for just 2 people (even to France).
Hate to be a cheapskate but we spent months saving for Florida (last month, really enjoyed it) and its practically emptied the bank accounts rolling eyes

Do people on here wait until the last minute? Can it really make a ski holiday possible on a tight budget? Or do I run a good chance of waiting till the last week only to find I have stitched myself up?

I have tried searching, but this forum has a Search function that is different from what I have seen before Embarassed

Any help greatly appreciated Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well to snowHeads smashed

There was a recent thread here.

The bottom line is, yes, you can get some bargains. But it's worth doing some research on more beginner friendly resorts - as there are some resorts that are less beginner friendly. I'm sure lots of people will pitch in with suggestions.

There's no escaping it, though, that skiing is an expensive sport - and the headline price for flights / accommodation / food are only part of the costs. In addition, you'll need to find money for hiring equipment; a lift pass; lessons; eating on the mountain and clothing before you go.

You can, of course, cut the cost of clothing by borrowing off other people.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the response Smile
And thanks for the other thread, will read it now.

Im totally aware of all the extra costs incurred (lift pass, clothing, food etc), so I am hoping to get the headline price down quite a bit. Alternatively, if I could get to the USA for the same price as Europe (thanks to a last minute deal) then both of us would be delighted.

Like you say, I need to be aware which resorts cater for beginners, and this could be even trickier if you are waiting for a last minute deal.

Just wish the other half was good enough to come down some more advanced slopes with me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
smashed wrote:
Just wish the other half was good enough to come down some more advanced slopes with me.

The important thing is to make sure they have a really good time and don't get pushed too much. Otherwise you'll be knackered.

And skiing alone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I dont really fancy doing myself any injuries Sad
Luckily we both are heavily into fitness, so we should be ok (Tho there are obvious problems, altitude, strain on legs etc)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
smashed,
Welcome to snowHead

Cheap skiing:
Go mid to late Jan (schools are all up then) so slopes will be quiet

Do some research into finding out which resorts are good for beginners and possibly have something else to do other than skiing – make a list of them.

If you want to go DIY (ie book your own flights and accommodation book sooner rather than later)

If you want to book a cheap late deal (from a TO) and can be flexible (how much notice do you need to give to book the time off) then the later the better.
When you see a last minute deal to one of the resorts on your list you’ll be quids in Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the tips.
My girlfriend hits 21 on January 23rd, so we would like to be away for that. I cant see a problem with swapping to a week either side of that if I can get a great deal and I am sure that work can be understanding.
I did the Florida trip USA, but am happy to use a TO if I can get a last minute bargain.

I guess its now time to do research on beginner locations. (Not sure if beginner places are more or less likely to have last minute deals tho?)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should be ok to get a good deal that week. The earlier week is one I'd view as one of the quieter weeks in the season.

I think in terms of resorts being good for beginners, I think its more a case of some resorts to avoid as suiting more advanced skiers.

E.g. France avoid Val d'sere, Tignes, Chamonix
Switzerland avoid Zermatt and Verbier.
Austria avoid St Anton

One or two others may suggest other resorts to avoid for beginners. Otherwise most larger resorts in France cater reasonably well. If one comes up ask on here Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smashed, often the best place to find last-minute deals is Teletext p.226 (I think that's the one). This is where many tour operators and agents clear their surplus holidays.

For mid to late January there should be plenty of holidays available until a few days before you travel, and the tendency is for prices to drop to about £200 to £300 for a week half-board in a good resort at that time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a helpful bunch Very Happy

I am already doing some reading.. its just difficult to contain the excitement Embarassed

Hadnt really thought about using Teletext (last did that 4years ago). I always thought it was one of those places that advertised deals that were not really there (like the shops with stupid deals in the window).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well a gang of us just booked Arcs 1800 in late Jan for £237 per person (flights, transfer and rooms). Add a few hundred for lift pass, booze and food and it comes out fairly cheap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy