Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do You Lunch?

Poster: A snowHead
I have to have quite a substantial lunch or else my skiing is very bad - seriously. About an hour before lunchtime, I began to get things wrong because I have to eat - hope that makes sense!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, do you eat breakfast ? I find if I go out with very little to eat I get a bit ropey before lunchtime, and have to stop.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's why I favour the early & late stops Helen Beaumont, stop for a quick drink and maybe small bit mid-late morning, ski through lunch and then have a mid afternoon stop before the last runs home.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mostly C, the last day at VT, E, and a few times F (Which is beer and waffle - the snack, not the tendancy to talk a lot wink )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on the day really, sometimes we pop home for lunch, sometimes we stop at a restaurant, sometimes we don't stop Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, Yes, I eat breakfast, but still need to have lunch at about 1pm at the latest - maybe its because I have a big appetite.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar wrote:
Apparently in Whistler the Americans are more serious about their skiing cos they lunch on power bars. Having eaten on the mountain in Whistler it may not be the only reason Puzzled

Clearly, you eat on a different Whistler than I do. rolling eyes

Let see.

20 Euros in Europe for a greasy burger n chips,

or CAN$9.00 for a bowl of hot steaming asian noodles, with spicy peanut sauce, fresh broccoli & veg, and spring roll. Or CAN$4.00 for a gigantic wrap, choice of plain, tomato or spinach tortilla, with roast beef, montreal smoked meat, tuna etc., plus cheese, salad?

Or pay CAN$15 for a 2 course meal in the Christines Restaurant or Steeps Restaurant?

Or CAN$12 for arguably the best steak sandwich in the Crystal Hut, served with roasted veg & potatoes.

Hmmm. Where *did* you have a bad meal on the mountain?

http://wikitravel.org/en/Whistler#Eat
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It varies massively, according to the day, the night before, the weather, who I'm skiing with, how I feel and the conditions. On a good day, wherever else isn't busy. Usually a 11:30 coffee (optional) and then through to 1:30 for whatever is left and sit in the sun. On a bad day, according to how my confidence is and my ski buddies, I'll have a longer one . . .

Once you know a resort, you more or less know the sort of lunch you are going for before as you arrive.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
C and a half? usually C (if on my own, then something simple with fries), but for 1-2 days in the week, everyone in the chalet might meet up for a bigger meal, verging towards D. Certainly when we do the PdS circuit, we stop in a mountain hut above Morgins, and get through a couple of carafes of fondant. Good stuff that. Loosens your legs and makes you ski better.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You certainly don't have to pay €20 for burger and chips here, in fact they don't do burgers! Goulasch soup -€3, spag bol €7, schnitzel and pommes €8-10 etc etc

The food here is our downfall as we spend our takings (which aren't huge by any means) eating out when friends and family come to stay.

Deb
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, Christine's is great isn't it? With only limited experience of US skiing, it and the River Cafe in Deer Valley are the only two "proper" restaurants we've found. Generally I have found Europe superior to the US for "mountain" dining...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight,
I guess you know Whistler a lot better than I do and it is easy to stereotype, but when I was there the culture of eating well on the mountain did not appear to exist, though it may have improved.
I went twice; in '98 and'99 March both times.

The mountain restaurants were extremely busy much more so then in Europe and actually relaxing to eat was difficult. The food I would have characterised as fairly tasteless and bland. I was living in Asia at the time and the noodles were like a McDonalds parody of asian food full of msg with the possibility of chilli sauce to hide the lack of flavour. I ate in several different restaurants though not all, the quality did not vary a great deal we tended to end up in the Ravens nest where you could eat a reasonable wrap without having to wait forever.

The childrens eating at ski school was worse, there was a choice of pizza, hot dog, jam sandwich and I think one other thing, it did not vary at all on either visit (total approx 5 weeks). This was contrasting with the European equivalent where there was a different varied menu each day of nutritious food not tasteless junk.

I am not trying to knock Whistler as a whole the fact that I returned for a second year shows that on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it. The adult ski school was good the mountain was great though the lift queues were a little long and eating out in the evening was generally excellent. The mountain dining experience though was something that could definately be improved if it has since my visits so much the better.

Yes European food particularly in some areas of France can be overpriced though I would charecterise the worse excesses as being rubber spaghetti rather than greasy burgers. But I have had an awful lot of excellent food at reasonable prices in pleasant surroundings in Europe which did not seem to exist on the mountain in Whistler.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a cultural difference between North American & European on mountain dining. As a rule North Americans have shorter average ski holidays or make exclusively weekend trips and skiing is often viewed more as a sport so it is not surprising that efficiency at processing diners with a quick turnaround rather than leisurely fine dining tends to be a priority. Plus picnicking in daylodges is accepted & welcomed unlike the sniffy Euro attitude "Picnic interdit". Local skiers will slate resort food as much as anyone but will simply bring a cooler full of picnick stuff for the whole family and leave it in the lodge.

In addition on mountain facilities are generally (always?) owned by the lift co so there is little opportunity for differentiation and the personal touch. High end resorts tend to have at least one "exclusive", "opulent" or "finest tradition of grand Alpine resorts" eating establishment and increasingly as more base villages are developed a full service restaurant is located as part of the package.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree, on the whole when I've been in Canada all the Americans and Canadians come well prepared with their food for the day.
The 'brits' on vacation are in the minority.

As a comparison having snowboarded here in Scotland on a couple of occasions I have planned next time to take food with me for similar reasons. The trip to Cairngorms tends to be a daytrip and wasting any amount of time in a restaurant waiting for food seems a bit of a waste.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austria must be the exception to what Fatbob says as the alms(restauarants)here are all family owned and individual, with the exception of 2 owned by the same family. You just have to make sure that you go either before 12 or after 1, Germans and Austrians all love to eat at 12 sharp - the best time to ski!!

Deb
snow report
djfletcher wrote:
Austria must be the exception to what Fatbob says as the alms(restauarants)here are all family owned and individual, with the exception of 2 owned by the same family. You just have to make sure that you go either before 12 or after 1, Germans and Austrians all love to eat at 12 sharp - the best time to ski!!

Deb

This is typical of Europe - I was referring to North America though I appreciate the second para wasn't clear.
snow report
C or D.

occasionally F) in a "teleski dificile" cus the plans for the day were to see the entire espace killy Wink

didn't find that dragbuttonlift to be very difficult obviously.
snow conditions
Usually C. If you stop around 11 for a snack and try to avaoid the 12-2 peak, Find somewhere good to eat, proper food. No spag bog, fries, burgers etc. I'm usually on holiday I like to relax enjoy my meal and rest before the afernoon assault on the mountain begins.
snow conditions
Hmmmm varies a lot

at my home resort I'd have to say f) none of the above....

My regular routine is... wake at 6am... wait for BP to increase to level suitable for standing...
rise at 630am - sick of being awake and not up...
stretches, sipping water, maybe cup of tea and watch sunrise on mountain
7am breakfast
clean teeth, etc etc... walk to bus
8am get on bus to other end of resort
830am get on lift
ski warm up...
915am collect instructor...
ski with instructor until 1230pm... call a kafi lutz/toilet break in there when required(10-15mins as the place knows us and the order and prepares on entrance - longer if I/WE feel the need)....
1230pm banana and water/toilet break...10mins
130pm-2pm - everyone finishes lunch... lift lines getting long and no longer have lift queue super priority from private lesson line...
GO HOME!!
eat some cereal/milk... or cheese/garlic bread toasted with vegemite.... stretch... eat more food for lunch as required by body... drink lots of fluids... feed currawongs leftovers while sitting on balcony in sun (or snuggle up by fire as appropriate).... Currawongs LOVE nashi... You can train currawongs to "take turns" and "catch" by using leftovers...

I feel no need to ski until 430pm that would be 8 hours ski time if no meal break taken....WHY??

discussed this with instructors... all feel around 5 hours is plenty ski time per day... the general rule is - when tired GO HOME... and in a 3 hour private with full lift queue priority we are skiing right into the lift most of the time... I GET TIRED... when I'm tired - I stop... no point practising bad technique....

My instructiors say they race train in only 2 hour blocks - after that the focus is gone.... so they expect no more than 2 hour before a break for me too... and if I look beat up/pale/not focusing well etc before then we stop anyway...

Note - this happens 30 days straight... EVERYDAY .... no breaks (unless we have land gale and all lifts on windhold).... One of our olympic biathletes was working at the desk opposite my boot locker... she was telling everyone at the end of season how I turn up every day - day in - day out - rain - hail - sleet... before the buses arrive... I often see myself as "slack" for missing that 800am bus and 830am lift... 9am would be a super sleep in... she says cut self slack - every day for the month is good enough and i get there early enough most days...
snow report
Ok - now the average day is out of the way...

sometimes I ski with a bunch of friends and we "ski for coffee" "ski for lunch" ... ie we plan our ski itinery to arrive at the right coffee/lunch place at teh right time... and lunch may be LOOOOOONG....

other times we ski for the snow - but get cold and stop for a nice hot lunch some place(or hot chocolate or schnapps)...

other times we have a ball skiing - get soaking wet... come and eat lunch until the gear is dry...

other times we ski out of resort - to collect a suitable stash of beer/picnic left in suitable location by prior arrangement (as is car transport home as we rarely wish to sleep with the wombats in a burrow under a tree)

other times we get up early and climb the local hills with skins... ski...climb...ski... etc... and return in the late arvo to scoff beer, food etc and be silly bugs and do it all again tomorrow...

a couple of times a year (instructors birthdays, friends birthdays etc) we plan an all day adventure including very long alcoholic lunch.... instructors love these days often... they are my "thankyou" days to them... we ski hard - but rest hard also!

Note - if my instructor have been race coaching since 730am and the weather is foul, I have called a breakfast break... just to warm them up and get the focus back...
Ditto a bust up with girlfriend may call for a schnapps break at certain intervals....

and when i'm having a bad day lots of schnapps and coffee can and has saved the day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy