Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

children, half term, ski schools....where?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Took the wife and kids to meribel last year for the first time skiing...youngest was very bored in esf kindergarten, 8 year old was happy after we moved her from esf to magic in motion and wife was ok in esf but found the slopes not very beginner friendly and would probably prefer some cruising runs.
So I guess I'm looking for a beginner friendly resort where my 5 & 8 year old girls can be in a good english speaking ski school...not too fussed about the country but it will have to be in uk half term Sad and still have vacancies. Any recommendations? thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vacancies dependant, Soldeu would probably fit the bill. Ski school has a vast number of native English speakers and they have a good childrens programme - which my next door neighbours son absolutely loved despite not wanting to go in it at the start of the holiday (wanted to ski in his mum's group) - and that's a good sign as he's a little bit stubborn and when sporty things are concerned wants to be pushed and challenged and is thus hard to please. The slopes are great for cruisers, but there is some more difficult terrain if you want it.

See my resort report here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could try BASS in Les Gets - lots of good reports on here (my not-very-brave 8 year old nephew was very well looked after, small classes) but quite pricey and very booked up at half term; no time to lose. BASS good for adults too (I speak from experience of both private and group lessons), and a range of beginner-friendly slopes. There are some all-in chalet and instruction holidays in Megeve with Simon Butler - always fancied going, though never have, so no experience of my own, but have seen some good reports. Probably full for half term. At half term the ESF groups are sometimes huge - 14 kids, ridiculous.

If it has to be school holidays you could consider Easter - got a lot to be said for it, especially booking at this stage. But maybe not Les Gets as late as that, somewhere with higher and more snowsure slopes (eg Val Thorens but don't know anything about the instruction there).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vallandry (part of the Les Arcs domain) might be suitable. They have a good British ski school (New Generation), lots of gentle terrain including several lovely runs through the trees back to the resort. The rest of the Les Arcs domain offers lots of options for new skiers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
www.snowbizz.co.uk. try this company and psv is a great resort for families I couldn't fault it for the first few years family ski hols.If you want any more info just ask.
hedley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ollski, I could/would suggest Evolution2 in La Rosiere. Our kids and others we have taken adore it/them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've found (properly) English-speaking instructors for children's ski school a slight problem in French resorts. There are more native English speakers in Switzerland and Andorra I'm told because you only need the ISIA level ski teacher cert (and not the international teacher diploma or european equivalence with speed test) to fully teach there, and from my limited experience the Austrian and Swiss instructors speak much better English. In France imho it's safest to stick to British ski schools (I'm not sure that is an exhaustive/up-to-date list) but some "international" ski schools and indeed the ESF! will have native English speakers or instructors who speak very good English. Book early for half-term. Very early.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges wrote:
Book early for half-term. Very early.

This should be read as "Now".

The courses at half term dates are filling up already.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Switzerland. Austria is also good....but that's where the majority of school groups go, so will be busy with kids!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anywhere in North America. I can personally recommend the kids' ski schools in Panorama, Big Sky and Breckenridge, but if you read the reports in Where to Ski and Snowboard, you'll generally find higher levels of satisfaction with North American schools than with those in Europe. I put this down to four factors. One is down to differences in typical North American employment contracts and the other three are cultural.

1. North Americans don't have much annual leave, so they take short breaks. That means that most ski-schools book kids by the half-day, not by the week, so most of their ski-schools reassess every child every half day to make sure they're in the right class. It's a rare day when none of my three kids change classes, and that sense of immediate attainment really motivates them. My experience of European ski schools is that class changes are rare, as all kids start together on Monday and finish together on Friday having supposedly learned at the same pace as each other.

2. North Americans give kids special treatment; Europeans treat them as young adults. Across the pond, ski-school is about fun - Breckenridge has Ripperoo, the skiing dog; Panorama has Fort Hide and Seek hidden deep in the forest where adults are too big to get in. From a child's persepective, things like this make the difference between a good holiday and a great one. They learn, but it doesn't really feel like school.

3. The famous North American customer service culture really makes a difference. Just as you'll rarely find a surly waiter over there, you'll also rarely find a grumpy instructor. You pay their wages, and they know it.

4. Humour and fun have so many subtle cultural references that having a common first language really does make all the difference if kids are to enjoy spending time with their instructors.

The good news is that North American prices are generally much less inflated at half term than are European ones. The bad news is that, at least for our family, half term clashes this year with President's weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I am now leaning towards easter week as its early this year and also thinking back to the snowfall pattern from last year. Must admit la rosiere looks tempting but that part of the ski school website is down at the moment...lets both kids be in the same group though and a decent price so very tempting. I'm a bit dubious about the us at the moment not knowing how the travel situation may go in the next year or so.....I was quite happy to take the discount and fly to vail in the first gulf war but not sure I want to make the choice for my whole family.....plus its a long way for little ones! (my grumpy travellers anyway).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ollski, Just checking you know that Easter is early April in 2007? Not especially early I don't think Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well a week earlier than last year!, I am always wrong though..... this year it is bound to dump early and be bare at the end of the season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we have a great ski school here run by an english woman with lots of english insturctors (yes i did say english instructors!!!!) and all the french ones speak bril english.

French kids holidays are a little later this year so you should find it really quite nice in serre che for the english half term.

Give me a pm if you'd like some details about my place.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I concur with Jonny Jones, on the North America/Canada ski school ethos - much better than we had in France and Austria for SP. The ski schools in Stowe and Panorama were just perfect for SP when he was younger. Expensive though, but you pays for what you gets.

I would have a punt at Panorama, the outdoor hot pools and tubs seal the deal.
snow conditions
Quote:

French kids holidays are a little later this year so you should find it really quite nice in serre che for the english half term.

The two worst weeks (the Paris ones) are last week of Feb, first week of March, I believe, so you would miss those.
But I think that one or more of the French regions are on their "half term" for the four weeks which include both the English half term weeks. The crowds should be liveable, especially somewhere which is not so full of UK visitors, and it's a good time to be in a ski school with lift priority.

We have not yet had rubbish snow in the first week in April, and the weather and long light days are a joy. I think there is a BASS school in Avoriaz, which should be fine in early April. The easyJet flights for April are not yet released - and probably won't be till sometime in October, if last year is anything to go by.
latest report
Quote:

The two worst weeks (the Paris ones) are last week of Feb, first week of March, I believe, so you would miss those.
the 2007 Paris school holidays are Sat 17 Feb - Sun 4 March so the first week of those (which overlaps with the Grenoble/Lyon school holidays) which is also half-term in parts of the UK will be chaos in most of the French Alps.

In terms of crowds, you'd be better off heading to the vrais southern French Alps (Isola, Auron, Val d'Allos) which are inaccessible from the north so unaffected by Paris' holidays), the Pyrenees or avoiding France altogether.
snow conditions
Superb, thanks to all for the advise. Have managed to get my wife to swap some of her study weeks at uni and can now go on the 10th March so hopefully I can just wait now for the prices to drop down to a reasonable level.
ski holidays
ollski,
Forget the crowds - have a look at some of the Swiss resorts in the Vaud Alps - most within 1hr 40m by train from Geneva airport (same by car): Villars, Les Diablerets, Leysin etc.

Great attraction this season will be all ski passes for kids under-9 are free....serious saving for families.

We're biased to Leysin - great value, multi-lingual ski school, some brilliant private instructors, two excellent sports centres and if the kids get bored (?) with skiing, the longest tobogganning circuit in Europe.

PM if you'd like brochures and ski maps.

Boswell
latest report
ollski, there are still a lot of UK kids on half-term that week, although the main one is 17th Feb. I rent out an apartment, and it was the first week to be booked, almost three months ago.
ski holidays
doh, week off middle of feb....2 weeks off start of april. Is there actually a term time?. Are you sure its still half term or is it more the fact that parents are now quite happy to take there kids out of school to resist the ridiculous costs and this is one of the few weeks everyone isn't on holiday? Smile
snow report
ollski, we've still got availability for 11th -19th Feb and 8th-15th April, see our ad in snowShops or go to www.tracksvacations.com for details of chalet Le Mouflon and La Rosiere 1850. La Rosiere is a great resort for families and it's snow record for April is very good, the resort is scheduled to close on the 27th April 2007, last year there was still snow in the village in June. There are a few other snowheads booked for the 11th Feb, La Rosiere is not manic at half term, the new lifts ensure that queues are minimised, you'll only find a queue at the main lifts firts thing in the morning and immediately after lunch. Frosty The Snowman submitted a review of La Rosiere in the resorts section, they're back in the village for the third time next Feb half term.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 19-09-06 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
ollski, I think 10th March is clear of all half-termism Very Happy

UK is spread across 10th Feb - 24th Feb, France is spread across 10th Feb - 3rd March.
latest report
David@traxvax, Hi David looks ideal. La rosiere was the resort I had in mind originally to be honest. How are you fixed up for the week beginning the 11 /3 ?. Cheers simon.
snow conditions
ollski, I'll send you a PM. don't want to upset the more sensitive snowheads.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy