Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking a minibus in Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of a self-drive of 6 guys to a central hotel in Val d'Isere next season in my MPV/people-carrier/minibus that is 2.1 metres high.

Does anyone know if any of the underground/covered car parks have a height to accommodate taller vehicles, i.e. at least 2.1m high? I suspect they're all max 2.0m headroom.

I know there's an outdoor car park at La Daille, but is there any outdoor car parking in central Val d'Isere?

Any advice much appreciated.

Ta.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which hotel?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Blizzard. They said ask Val d'Isere tourist information - and I've sent an e-mail to them.

I'm wondering if anyone here has good info too, e.g. "Don't even think of taking a minbus to Val unless you're a licensed transfer operator, etc."
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
crosbie wrote:
Le Blizzard. They said ask Val d'Isere tourist information - and I've sent an e-mail to them.

I'm wondering if anyone here has good info too, e.g. "Don't even think of taking a minbus to Val unless you're a licensed transfer operator, etc."

park it at la Daille in the free open air parking after dropping your luggage and mates off - don't leave anything visible in the van. I've parked my Toy-Yoda here and it suffered no ill effects although I would normally park it in the underground parking - however this is generally very tight and I doubt you will get a bus in - maybe in the parking by Dick's.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks davidof.

The vehicle is only 4.6m long. I guess another term is 'caravanette' - it's the rising roof that adds a tadette of height to 2.1m. It's a Mazda Bongo.

I should add that it will also have a small luggage trailer (which can be upended), so I'm a little concerned about the security of the trailer (despite padlock). I simply don't want the hassle of finding the trailer missing at the end of the week - and these are easily flogged.

I will of course use the La Daille car park if nothing else is available. However, if any central covered parking had a headroom above 2.1m, I'm pretty sure my vehicle would fit.

When you say 'parking by Dick's' do you mean there is occasional on-street parking there, or is there a covered car-park/garage that you suspect may suit the 'larger' vehicle?

I wish tourist information sites would list the heights of their 'parking couvert'... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a central underground park (very convenient for the lifts) into which I squeezed my Multipla with ski rack on top - that's about 2.1m - my passenger had to climb out and check there was room. The car parks do not all have the same clearance - I passed one (between La Daille and the centre, on the left) which was less than 2.0m. However, even once into the carpark (low season week) it was hard to find spaces and I had to squeeze into one so tight I had to fold in the wing mirrors, because the Multipla is wide. It's only the same length as a Golf, but the length of the space wasn't generous either; no chance at all of getting a trailer in! I don't think there's any outdoor parking in the centre where you could leave a vehicle for any length of time. Maybe the tourist office will come up with something better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like Baldrick, I have just had an ingenious, but potentially flawed, idea. It may be possible for me to flatten the interior seats, and then get the trailer (upside down) into the van via the rear tailgate. Twisted Evil

Interesting to hear about your Multipla. Was that the Rond Point car park?

Here's the list:

Car parks Location
Centre E6 +33 4 79 06 07 44
Funival B3 +33 4 79 06 07 44
Pierre et Vacances A3 +33 4 79 41 30 30
La Balme D5 +33 4 79 06 02 62
Rond Point des Pistes A F6 +33 4 79 41 50 50
Conference centre E5 +33 4 79 06 21 23

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski-Val's hotel Chamois d'Or has its own parking - I would virtually guarantee that if you were to rock up there and offer the manager a small amount of cash in hand you'd be able to park it there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ta. I will ensure I have a wodge to hand if this may end up being worth chancing on the day (10-11am Saturday arrival).

Still convinced the apts and hotel's would get more punters if they clarified the height of their garages.

I've been looking at a chalet and it has a 6:55am depart from Gatwick. With increase security this means a check-in of 3:55am, and that means depart from North London at about 2:30am, which means setting the alarm clock for about 1:30-1:50am.

And people say the problem with an overnight self-drive is that you don't get much sleep!!! Puzzled

Self-drive:
3:00pm North London
4:00pm West End
5:00pm Blackheath
6:30pm Dover
8:00pm Ferry
:cross channel: Dinner on board
11:00pm Calais/Dunkerque
1:30am Reims - passengers snooze
4:30am Dijon
6:00am Lyon
7:00am Chambery - sunrise
8:00am Albertville
9:00am Bourg Saint Maurice
9:30am Val d'Isere

10:00am ** SKI!!!! **
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crosbie wrote:

When you say 'parking by Dick's' do you mean there is occasional on-street parking there, or is there a covered car-park/garage that you suspect may suit the 'larger' vehicle?

I think it is The Centre underground parking... it seems to have more height than some of the nuclear bunkers that double for underground parking elsewhere. 6'6 is on the limit for multistory parking - watch those light fixtures!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Drop off and park at La Daille, you can catch the little shuttle bus back!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I second davidof suggestion to park in the open car parks.

In one year I drove a 4x4 into a car park in Tignes. The height was OK at the entrance but if you don't find a space you have to drive down to the lower levels right? That was the time when I discovered the height got gradually reduced when I heard something and found my ski clamps on the floor instead on the car roof.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie, we had no problem parking our 2 cars outside the chalet a few years ago in Val. Not sure if they have adopted the val thorens idea though of making everyone pay (i.e. you get towed/fined if you don't) and go into a car park than park (read "dump" for majority of people Evil or Very Mad ) around the roads. Depending on what time of the year you are going you could leave it until you arrive to find the best space to park?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan, thanks. I really just wanted to check in case there was high parking. It would be irritating to park at La Daille and discover there was a central car park easily able to contain minibuses, etc.

saikee, point taken re entrance height no guarantee of similar headroom throughout. Sad

Nadenoodlee, it's looking like you're right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy