Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you get an idea of how good someone is just by reading their posts?

Can you get an idea of how good someone is just by reading their posts?
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 20 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 19 ]
Don't Know
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Voted : 48
Total Votes : 48

Poster: A snowHead
JimW wrote:
Isn't there someone on here (or was it something WTFH said a few months ago) with a tag line, " the best skier is the one with the largest smile"? So , that's me then snowHead snowHead

Not sure if it is anyone's tagline, but I've said it (or variations on it) a few times.

(I'm an expert at truisms - would you like to see a video??? Laughing )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parlor, thanks - I can live off a compliment for months. Very Happy

DM, yes this is a non-painful thread (so far). Now, about meeting for beers/Jagers/Pastis/... in Chamonix...
(I'm not an "expert" drinker, but I am a reasonably knowledgeable one - want to see a video? Very Happy)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now that we are on the rob@rar.org.uk, appreciation thread, I think he has a beautiful smooth, gliding, carve.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Now that we are on the rob@rar.org.uk, appreciation thread, I think he has a beautiful smooth, gliding, carve.

I see him ski a lot, and I can assure you that he does this:

rather often!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
JimW, that's kind of you to say so; I'll try not to hide my light quite so far under the bushel in future Wink One of the reasons I don't think of myself as a good skier is that I get quite intimidated by the level of expertise on display here, and for fear of embarrassing myself when I actually ski with fellow snowHeads I try not to 'over-claim' my ability.

Good point. I think there is a competence - confidence - complacency curve. For me there is a big difference between rationally thinking I'm competent to ski a particular piste/pitch whatever and being confident about doing so. I therefore find it very difficult to have a realistic idea of my ability and when I gain some confidence I often experience pride coming before a fall - a shift into complacency can knock me right back again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
agavin, I think you're about spot on. Although I am now rather conscious about spinning too many yarns...

Don't worry Laughing ... I saw your video clip of you zip lining those moguls ... you have a lot of snow cred in my book ...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few thoughts on the original question.
Firstly I think it depends quite a bit on someone’s posting frequency and on what topics they post.
I suspect it would be pretty difficult to read much into twenty posts on word association.

I doubt anyone is intentionally dishonest so you can always look at their ski profile if posted and I suspect that anyone who regularly does the Inferno, Meije Derby or whatever is going to be pretty damn good skier. snowHead

Does it matter? I don’t think a pecking order is of any great importance but I do think it can be useful to accurate communication if considering new areas etc.
If someone’s interest lies in cruising blues and reds their opinions on the ski area may be different form my own. Equally if someone is skiing couloirs and steep stuff my opinions on the off piste are likely to be of little help to them.

It is probably also pretty essential if a small group of snow heads are planning trips together a large group can divide but noone really wants to ski a full holiday holding up others and struggling or waiting the whole time when they want to be ripping it.

I guess you form a mental impression of how some sH’s ski but how accurately I don’t know. How accurate were the impressions of those who went to the EOSB ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlorD wrote:
There are defiantly tell tale signs as to whether a poster is a good skier or not. My own guide is:

1) They never ski indoors

Got me Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, I work in Shoreditch and coincidentally am out taking liquid refreshments ce soir. Does this club start with a 'B'?

As to the thread....I dont disagree with any of the above but I would add as follows.

As a mad keen surfer growing up there were a lot of guys who had the kit, had the haircut, had the lingo but just didnt look like they could surf. I saw it over and over BUT it took nothing away from their enthusiasm, albeit sometimes it was very annoying.

Me - I aman embarrassingly average skier (but a good former boarder). I ask questions on snowHead because I am genuinely excited about skiing and going sking and coming back and wanting to go again etc etc. I almost always know what people are going to come back with because I knew it from boarding days eg what will the snow be like on March 14th? I ask lame questions like that because I just want to engage with people who are keen as well, not because I need to know that badly. (Having said that snowHead has enabled me on occasions to make some very well informed decisions that I might not have done previous)

So if I asked those questions as a boarder, you would have been wrong. But as a skier you'd be right (which isnt difficult to work out as I always state I am what I am)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
DM, yes this is a non-painful thread (so far). Now, about meeting for beers/Jagers/Pastis/... in Chamonix...
(I'm not an "expert" drinker, but I am a reasonably knowledgeable one - want to see a video? Very Happy)

I asked around, and found the video...

EpicSki Thread about it

The video
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, Hi Peter, no the initials are P.B. (it's on Paul Street). The critical difference is in the description "full contact". I think it's about as close as I can get to any female other than Sophie without running a high risk of being "Bobbitted".

I'm certainly not suggesting people don't post whatever they want - I mean pity the fool who started this daft thread!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, so you wont be needing loose change to throw into a pint glass then?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this is so hard, not just because people tend to exaggerate etc. but also because our own perceptions are so often wide of the mark and, indeed, we all have good days and bad days.

I consider myself competent (nothing more, nothing less) on most terrain and yet the only photo fellow snowHead s have ever seen of me on snow is this:

Not pretty! I mean, where exactly am I in this turn??? In fact, which turn am I on???? My weight's all wrong, my hands are all wrong and my downhill ski is flapping about all over the place! So no matter what we all might think and therefore how confident we might be in discussion, the truth is often somewhat sobering.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

our own perceptions are so often wide of the mark

Last year I felt on a particular day like I was skiing well beyond what I ever hoped. My wife took photos on a cheapy disposable camera. When the photos came back weeks later I snapped at her for taking photos of the wrong person..... until I realised I was the only person on that piste at that time!
ski holidays
I think most people have different definitions of the word "good" in relation to skiing to start with. Most Snowheads are enthusiastic, even quite serious about their skiing. After all, no-one would waste their time on an internet forum if they weren't, would they?

I don't think you can ever be sure until you see someone ski, but anyone who talks about the colour of runs as an important thing, or thinks speed is important per se would definitely suggest to me that they weren't much good - no matter how many long technobabble words they use. (Actually I despise technobabble, but most of you already know that. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
easiski,
yeah - I have been fooled re T-bar riding a few times... for years we tried to ensure I rode with those that balanced well themselves - as i was likely to complicate the issuea at worst and at best be unable to help them at all.... So the lifties all tried to help me find the folks that could ride... ditto I would try to find useful folks in the queue... (patrol were always a good bet as were the lift supers that i KNEW and off duty instructors)... Sometimes I could pick by the look on the face when i said i had balance problems.... others would look cool and say "I'll help you - that's fine" The clothes skis etc were no help but the look on face was quite a good indication... or so i thought...

I got one who was going to "save me" no worries - he could barely stand up on the flat part!.... the steeper section was a nightmare... kept trying to go sideways off the track(on my side) ... it was all I could do to steer the other way... at the top he tells me "oh that is steep compared to xxx isn't it?" xxx being the t-bar they use to teach t-bar riding and the one we were on the steepest/rockiest bit you could find....
snow report
IMVHO, those that can do, those that can't talk or type about it.
snow report
kitenski,

Quote:

IMVHO, those that can do, those that can't talk or type about it.

Hmm so that's everyone on this forum then ? Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, 'twas George Adam. Here's another small clip (2Mb) - do you recognise him?
snow conditions
ski, can we really guess whether kitenski eats, shoots, and leaves, or eats shoots and leaves?

Yoda Laughing Laughing
snow report
Yoda wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, 'twas George Adam. Here's another small clip (2Mb) - do you recognise him?

He reminds me of an instructor who did a couple of seasons with Masterclass in Courchevel (now Ski Supreme) about 12 years ago. I can't remember the guy's name from back then, so it might be him or it might not be. The sense of humour is very similar! Thanks for digging out that extra clip.
latest report
I did my Grade 2 Technical with Grumpy George. Shocked Best BASI course I ever did. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy