Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pistie Beasties - What do you call them ?

Poster: A snowHead
Pisten Bully, Piste machine, piste basher, rat track etc etc. What do you call them?

Somebody in the crowd a skied with years ago came out with "Pistie Beastie" and it's always stuck with me. In fact my kids now think this is the proper name for them, and I've seen some puzzled expressions when people have heard them refer to them !.

Are there any other proper or improper names for them ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The erudite members of another ski forum call them 'snow bison': an apt name for massive powerful beasts that graze snowy pastures, often nocturnally.

Snow bison hibernate in summer, by the way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed I saw one such creature foundering on a hill on Monday having hurt it's right hand legs (lost a track) and it seemed to be waiting patiently for the vet (Mechanic) to come to its assistance, I went to take a picture of it from the train window only to discover that my digital camera was no longer working properly, could this be some in built defence mechanism, peculiar to these creatures that is designed to save them from embaressment Question
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wonder if young Sam Lee ever got a ride on one
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got a ride on one last week-it was fab.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter (when aged 4) called them 'The Prowlers'
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I've correctly understood what the subject is...I call those the usual name:
Snow Cats, or simply Cats. ("Gatti delle nevi" or "Gatti"...their official name here is "mezzi battipista")

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 19-02-04 10:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I call them Pistie Beasties as well. I think all my friends do as well (but that's probably my fault). Excellent name for them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I have always called em piste bashers..... or Fruity Getters.... cos they always head in my direction (one of my pet hates - they scare me witless for no apparent reason). Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought a toy one in Alpe D a few weeks ago with the intention of giving it to my nephew. But being the big kid I am, I kept it, so you can guarantee that after a bottle of wine on a friday night the piste basher is on carpet duty! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jason Carpenter has his own that he skis behind when on holiday Cool

Sorry Jas - was funny Laughing though Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have learned that I should call them Pisty Beasties. Much better than Piste Bashers what I used to call them
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK so, new terminology to amuse the husband with. " oh, no its a Pisty Beastie driving right at me"

yeh, right like he's gonna believe I got this from you lot..........................

thanks. street cred for ski terminology 0
ability to ski blacks 0
ability to keep up 0

Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
however, if you should see a woman out of control on a red in passo tonale in a fortnight, waffling on about pisty beasties and snowheads...... feel free to introduce yourself and buy me a pint.

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nothing I'd like better Fruity, just need a parachute rolling eyes
snow conditions
woah! Alan, check this out!!!!!

latest report
I forgot my poles!!!!!!

snow report
No, Sam hasn't had a ride yet. He's green with envy as his friend has not only been in a pistie beastie but on a snowmobile as well.
ski holidays
I call my piste basher,'Polly the Piste Basher', but the drivers name is Pierre ! Its a rather indulgent luxury, but one I enjoy !!!! Wink
latest report
I've always known them as "Piste Dragons", is this a tradename?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy