Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cat Tracks

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody use them, are they worth it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand, yes, and yes, imho.

(well, they reduce the wear on your boot soles, which means they stay fitting your bindings safely, and they can give you a bit more grip)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
halfhand, they can make it harder to put your skis on though (as I have found on several occasions rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, Stupid boy (pike) Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Don't tell him your name Pike" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Gets me everytime.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand, As FOXY says, however mine fall off in the street every 5 metres, so most of them i gave to the ARVE, i'm ok if i need new boots. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use them and they do the trick just nicely - especially considering I'm in my boots four or five days a week.

If they keep falling off, go for a size below or after you put the toe bit on, twist them a couple of times before you put the heel bit on as that makes it a snugger fit.

All in all, well worth the few quid to protect your boots, plus gives you a bit of grip too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowaddict, Try that trick after you warm them up in a little hot water, leave them stretched over your boots overnight and the'll be just right. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Found them a bit of a pain to get on and off personally. Just by boots with replaceable heel and toe pieces.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, Yes, and yes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, yes and yes. Protect the boots and give more grip.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They're gay. By the time your boots are wear enough to cause problems, you should be replacing them anyway
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Figured I would as I quite like the idea of being able to walk on snow and ice when I've got my skis off! So sorry Georgio, but I'll risk the gay slurs and pick up a pair (might even get the pinky/purple ones) wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Georgio, sorry old thing I've got a gay'o'meter right here in my trousers. Getting a ZERO for Cat Tracks.

Cat Tracks are amazing. Buy them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Georgio, Hmmm

Quote:

By the time your boots are wear enough to cause problems, you should be replacing them anyway

My Langes are two years old ? Just replaced toe and heel pieces... They're going to have to last a lot longer !
snow report
Don't think my X-Wave 8s have replaceble toe and heel pieces anyway Puzzled
latest report
Edmundh009 wrote:
Found them a bit of a pain to get on and off personally. Just by boots with replaceable heel and toe pieces.

Exactly.

All boots should have replaceable heels and toes - with spares readily available.

Salomon used to be great for that. It is rather annoying now that they seemed to have joined the trend for boots without replacement bits.

I am still waiting for some clever marketing guru to announce that replaceable heels and toes have a really bad impact on a boots performance. Years ago they used that trick with hi fi turntables and removed the 45rpm option.
ski holidays
Latchigo Edmund009, My feet fit perfectly in Salomon shells. In 24 years of skiing I have never had such comfortable shells. Sadly the toe and heals are not replacable. So it makes sense for me to protect them.

However, it's not just about extending the life of your shells. They make walking easier in two ways. One. They offer grip. Two. They provide a tiny amount of cushioning which has a massive effect on how comfortable it is to walk in ski boots.

Try them.
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:
Edmundh009 wrote:

Exactly.

All boots should have replaceable heels and toes - with spares readily available.

Salomon used to be great for that. It is rather annoying now that they seemed to have joined the trend for boots without replacement bits.

I am still waiting for some clever marketing guru to announce that replaceable heels and toes have a really bad impact on a boots performance. Years ago they used that trick with hi fi turntables and removed the 45rpm option.

actually it can have an effect on the transmission from boot to ski, if you have two surfaces joined together with a few screws it is a weak point when compared to a solid piece Little Angel
latest report
CEM, that makes you a clever marketing guru Shocked
snow report
parlor wrote:
CEM, that makes you a clever marketing guru Shocked

no but i have a wife who is a very clever marketing guru Toofy Grin
snow report
They're a bug to put on when you're wearing the boots until you've had them a while, and as soon as they become easy to put on, they fall off when you walk. They're a bit if a nuisance to cart about, especially as they are often covered in slush and grit. I prefer to organise things so that I don't have to walk far in boots.
snow report
If your boots don't have replaceable pieces, we can plane them and add one!
snow conditions
It's all very well replacing toe and heel pieces, but the inners will be compressed over time and reducing the effective transmission of movement to ski. I replace my boots every two seasons at the outside. This is with about 8-10 weeks on snow and year round skiing on both plasic and indoor snow surfaces.
Obviously, you can replace inners, but this is not often cost effective.
snow report
Georgio, so, how many weeks on snow/indoor/plastic do you do a year in total?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy