Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - a good hotel for just one night please

Poster: A snowHead
Circumstances have conspired to force me to endure the ghastliness of Half Term Skiing (having carefully avioded it for years).
The crowds! The prices! The airport scrum!
With two typical teenagers I'm going with Mark Warner to Val d'Isere, but their flight is at 0730 (so have to get up in the middle of the night) and doesn't go until Sunday, which misses out on good skiing time.
So I've come up with the Master Plan:
Train out Friday night to Bourg.
Ski Les Arcs Saturday.
Stay in Les Arcs Saturday night
Bus up to Val Sunday morning.
Hence the title of this thread: I need a hotel for Saturday night: single room for Rosie and double for me and Tom.
Preferably with Bath/WC and near the centre of town.
Any ideas?
Indeed, will it be possible on February 17th?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One night only at half term.

You can hear the drawing of Gallic breath from here snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim, I'd say it's easier to stay in Bourg St Maurice and 'commute' up to Les Arcs for the day's skiing rather than trying to find a hotel in Les Arcs itself. A few hotels in BSM for you to consider:

http://hostelleriedupetitsaintbernard.com/index.htm
http://www.hotel-autantic.fr/autantic.htm
http://www.relaisdelavanoise.com/

The Petite Saint Bernard and the Relais de la Vanoise are within walking distance of the train/bus station at BSM, the l'Autantic is a bit further away, probably a short taxi ride if you have heavy bags with you.

You could also contact PG at My Snow Sports to ask if he had any ideas.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would recommend the Hotel de la Vanoise in Peisey-Vallandry, but being february and all that.....
web : http://www.hotel-la-vanoise.com/
tel : 0033 479 07 92 19
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flying_squirrel, is there a bus route from the station at BSM to Peisey and Vallandry?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whoops! Silly me. As rob@rar.org.uk sensibly points out, I (of course) meant a hotel in Bourg rather than Les Arcs (I'm not that stupid!). Sorry folks. And thanks Rob for your suggestions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, If you drop the "Near the Centre of Town" requirement I can highly recommend La Petite Auberge in BSM and the excellent restaurant attached to same. They certainly take short bookings so might be a possible. Snag is that it is well out of town....you'd probably need a taxi to/from train station and it's a good trudge or taxi ride to the lifts, (there's a bus stop but even that's a short stoll and I haven't got a clue how often the buses might run!). Still it's an option.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, I second that, La Petite Auberge is very good and good value and run by 2 Brits (or was a few years ago) and the restaurant, which was managed by someone else when I was there is lovely.
I found the bus OK, you just need to get the timetable to time your exit and return to avoid a wait. Its only a very short walk down the lane to/from the main road (or perhaps you could ski accross the field to the road, I can't remember?) I did once walk back when I missed a bus but it is a very long way carrying skis. Better get a taxi.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I would recommend the Hotel de la Vanoise in Peisey-Vallandry

Sad to report but they wouldn't have us for a Friday night in January in 2006, but HOTEL RESTAURANT LA TOURMALINE
Aime 73210 0479 95 62 93 did - comfortable, 15 mins up to Peisey to ski snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Back to the Drawing Board.

I have phoned 4 hotels in Bourg: Hôtel Le Savoyard, Hostellerie du Petit Saint Bernard, Hôtel Autantic, and Hôtel Le Relais de la Vanoise.
They all say the same. No bookings for single nights in High Season. Sad

Hôtel Arolla says the same on its website.

I couldn't get through to the Hôtel La Petite Auberge or Hôtel l'Angival, but I'm sure the message will be the same. No way.

One hotel (I forget which) did suggest I phone (0033)479410041 which is meant to be a hotel 2km further up the road from Bourg, but that is just too much hassle. My great Master Plan has gone into the shredder. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, Have you tried Au Bon Accueil in Landry?

We've stayed a Friday night there in high season, but they only let us book 2 weeks before we wanted it. I think all the hotels will hang on to see if they can get a whole week booking.

Hotel de la Vanoise in Plan Peisey did the same in January last season.

http://www.lesarcs.com/article.php3?localisation=-1&id_article=68&type=4&Submit=Rechercher

Heres a list you could try too! Good luck!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, ok you could try Aime which is 15km from Bourg at the bottom of La Plagne valley. The train stops here so yuo could alight here. There are a small number of hotels there and worth a try. If I get time later I will look for the details. Do an internet search though in meantime.

The other option is you could try Moutiers or Albertville. The train may also stop at Moutiers? You will def get a hotel in Albertville. This measn you could still ski on the Saturday but would need to drive. Staying in Moutiers or Albbertville opens up the three valleys as possibility fo the day.

Just a few more options for you to consider
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Jonpim, PG used to do B&B in BSM, not sure if he still does but might be worth getting in touch (unless you're on the wrong side of the divide Confused ).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep trying Hôtel La Petite Auberge - I've stayed one night there in the past, though they might have changed their policy.
Alternatively if you booked at the last moment (perhaps 3 days befor), through the tourist office you are fairly much certain to find something. The Hotels just hold out till then in the hope of booking the room for a full week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:

Alternatively if you booked at the last moment (perhaps 3 days befor), through the tourist office you are fairly much certain to find something. The Hotels just hold out till then in the hope of booking the room for a full week.

Might be a bit of a risky strategy if you don't have a Plan B up your sleeve. JonPim and his teenagers might end up sleeping in the funicular car park for the night if they can't make a last minute booking!
latest report
brian wrote:
Jonpim, PG used to do B&B in BSM, not sure if he still does but might be worth getting in touch (unless you're on the wrong side of the divide Confused ).

Could work - might be best to PM through mysnowsports, as things stand.
latest report
Try Bike village.com - Its a chalet in Landry (£km from Bourg and there is a shuttle bus) that runs as a Mountain bike chalet in the Summer and as far as I know they operate as a B and B over the winter.
ski holidays
Down and Out in Bourg St Maurice

Thanks folks for all the suggestions.
● One of the hotels did say that Albertville was the only option for a one-night-stand in February. But all the pallaver of getting a car, and then the extra long hike up to Val d'Isere makes it all just too complicated.
● I am reluctant to wait-and-see. I don't know the funicular car park, but I bet its not particularly comfortable, and I suppose en-suite bath is out of the question.
● I will try Hôtel La Petite Auberge again as snowbball suggests, but from my experience so far I would be very surprised if their response was any different.
● Aime? I had assumed it would be the same as Bourg, but what have I got to lose?
There is a sneaky gambit: fake some significant injury and get a night in Bourg hospital. I could even call it research. Yes?
Maybe not.
snow report
Quote:
I am reluctant to wait-and-see. I don't know the funicular car park, but I bet its not particularly comfortable, and I suppose en-suite bath is out of the question.

It's not bad as car parks go, and you may get the odd shower.
ski holidays
Jonpim, I suspect the owners of La Petite Auberge are on their annual holidays or some such....I'm waiting on a response to an equiry about an Xmas stay with them and they haven't got back to me, last time they were very quick so I suspect they're shut down for a couple of weeks? Based on when I sent my email through they might be back in business next monday? If I get a response from them I'll give you a heads up that they're back in town!
ski holidays
Things I'd try, but are probably unlikely....

1) Ask Mark Warner for advice (they may have peculiar bookings already that leave accommodation available that night)
2) Try hotels in Val d'Isere
3) Try hotels in Tignes

I did a two-centre self-drive trip last season. 2 nights in Chamonix. 6 nights in Avoriaz (they had a 6 day bargain period because of a neighbouring extension period caused by New Year or something). Believe me, I tried bloody hard to find a single Saturday night in a Morzine hotel with no joy whatsoever.

Perhaps you should consider Chamonix - possibly even instead of Les Arcs? They've quite a few single-nightable hotels.

You could try a hire car pick-up from Calais/Lille and self-drive to Chamonix. You then drop the car off at the airport that your flight arrives at, and get on your already-paid-for transfer coach. There may even be a rental drop off closer to Val d'Isere, e.g. Albertville, Moutiers or BSM.

For nightly stays try Hotel Le Chamonix http://www.hotel-le-chamonix.com . Very good value. Extremely central.
snow report
Oh, and if you're into travel by train and squeezing in 8 days skiing in the space of a week, do consider the Snow Train.

For example Chalet Premier Neige is available by Snow Train.
http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/index/accommodation/Val_d_Isere/Premiere_Neige/136

Friday 5pm Waterloo
9-11pm Dinner in Paris
Sleep on train
Saturday 9am Ski in Val d'Isere
Depart the following Saturday 4pm.
Paris breakfast Sunday morning.
Home Sunday lunchtime.
ski holidays
Thank you crosbie, but I think you may have missed the point (see my first post) - or you're having a laugh, you naughty boy.
Ohmigod! Boy? You could be anything. Boy? Girl? I usually get it wrong. Sorry! Embarassed

But the intention is to arrive by train on Saturday morning. But not by Snow Train. The snow train is very rough-and-ready. Ok of you're off with the lads (I use it for our Gas Meeting in January). But if you want to travel civilised, then take the SNCF first class sleeper out of Gare Austerlitz: costs little more than 2nd class (sometimes less!) but there are only 4 in each compartment.

Note also that the Snow Train gets into Bourg at 08.38, which makes getting to Val d'Isere by 9am difficult. The 22.25 from Gare Austerlitz gets into Bourg at 0745 which gives you a chance of getting the 0800 bus up to Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
Have you tried Chalet Chardons in Tignes Les Breveries (www.chaletchardons.com), I stayed there for a week last year (it's pretty basic) and I know they take short bookings, so it may be worth a try. From there, it shouldn't be too hard to get to Val
ski holidays
Sheesh. I'll learn to look at the post-count first. Eventually.

Thanks for bringing my attention to the Austerlitz option. Sounds like a bit more hassle organising (and expensive) than the ready made and standard Snow Train option. I had a look at buying the Snow Train direct and it's £270rtn!! The tour operators seem to price it at around £150 or so. Love to know where I can get it for that price.

My times were guestimates from vague memory. Anyone who planned their connections based on something they read in a forum without double-checking it.... well... Sad

You know, if you're just a facilitator, asking naive questions simply to generate conversation, it ain't much different from being a troll. Skullie
snow report
Never thought of Jonpim as a troll. Quirky? Yes. But courteous, too. And his advice is usually accurate.
snow report
achilles, I didn't phrase my point very well. Sometimes it's helpful for a poster to indicate they're extremely experienced, and already fully aware of all alternatives.

There's a big difference between an inexperienced person asking for a hotel in Les Arcs in order to prefix a Sunday/Sunday week, and an old hand asking the same question. I didn't really take in the Les Arcs -> BSM amendment as indicating the questioner wasn't naive (which I should have done on hindsight).

And Jonpim, instead of letting me in on the fact of his far superior experience gently, gives me grief instead by taking the mickey and correcting the imprecision of my timings. Confused

And this is an extremely minor peeve, so let's not all gather round in some kind of psychotherapeutic confessional. rolling eyes

And yes, I'll try a bit harder to use all available cues and clues to gauge whether there is any advice I can offer a questioner that they don't already know. Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie, the Gare D'Austerlitz train is usually less expensive than the Calais Snowtrain. Book it using the SNCF website. I got my teenage kids to France last winter from Paris for about £32 single fare (they came home in the car).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie, try Rail Canterbury for help on getting best prices for the SNCF sleeper service. I think that they will hold your travel request on file and as soon as the discounted tickets are available from Eurostar and SNCF they will make a provisional booking for you.

BTW, I thought Jonpim's reply to you was meant humorously rather than with any other intent.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, thanks. I tried RailEurope's site for 6 persons and got £270rtn per head. Given I've had return flights and a weeks s/c accommodation for £99 per person before, this is pretty extortionate. I will definitely now bear the SNCF avenue in mind as a low cost alternative to self-drive. Thanks again. Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, useful looking travel agent. I've bookmarked the link.

crosbie, no worries Cool
snow conditions
Jonpim, Get a grip man. Your plan is sheer lunacy. Have you been sniffing the happy gas again wink

Sundays are SO much better than Saturdays for transfers. Go with the Mark Warner Flow. What better time is their to get up early than to go on a skiing holiday. No less tiring than the overnight train.

Your skiing will be limited due to the loss of your arm and leg to their accounts dept. The extra cost you will incur will be more than enough to pay fror a long weekend in the quiet period. Wave at me at Geneva airport Very Happy

Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 14-09-06 11:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, right sentiment, wrong man. The only time I get close to gas is all the hot air I spout here. As for transfer days, I much prefer Wednesdays Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Embarassed Ta for that. Just call me Frosty Fast Fingers
snow report
crosbie, no offence was intended, and I do have a reputation for getting the gender of posters disastrously wrong.
I take your point about the knowledge and experience of posters also not being obvious, and quite understand you thought me a complete idiot from the thread title.
As for the Rail Europe price for Waterloo to Bourg. Yes, for some strange reason, if you book the whole jouney as one the you get this extortionate price. But if you book the Eurostar train and the SNCF sleeper separately then you get a much more reasonable price. I note that my link to Rail Europe now fails. Just now I tried booking the jouney to Bourg for early December, going out Friday and coming back the following Saturday: Eurostar return £59.00, and SNCF return £59.50 (first class would have been £11 more each way), making a total of £118.50. The bus fare up to Val is €9.40. If you add airport parking onto the plane fare and transfer costs, you would be hard pressed to beat the train price.

P.S. The cheapest Eurostar single to Paris is £149. If you book a return it drops to £29.50 each way. Seems daft to me. Can anyone explain?
ski holidays
Jonpim, no offense taken. Let's kiss and make up. I'm male - last time I looked. However, please consider my posts by their content rather than their contributor's chromosomes. Madeye-Smiley

Very, very grateful for the invaluable information on how to go by train without being forced to use an agent/broker/operator. snowHead

I'm interested in how the bus works though. Is this geared up for punters with large holdalls, boot bags, and skis? Will there be umpteen tut-tutting locals with their shopping?

With some morning flights tending to require a 2am alarm clock, I would have thought we'll start seeing luxury chalets offering the first class SNCF sleeper option. Confused

As to the cheap Eurostar; forgive me risking patronising you again, but I presume the 60 quid return isn't a 'within 24 hours' jobbie? If it is, I think they're wise to people buying two returns, i.e. the return is only validated if the outbound portion has been used (so you need to find collaborators travelling in the opposite direction).
latest report
crosbie, the bus is skier friendly, with lots of people using it to get from the railhead at Bourg Saint Maurice to resorts further up the Tarentaise valley. I would have thought that being based in Ashford the train is a really good option for you. A quick journey to Paris on the Eurostar, then the SNCF service to the Alps (this runs every day of the week, so lots of flexibility about when you tarvel). From Moutiers or BSM you can get to all the Trois Vallees resorts and all the Tarentaise resorts by bus, and if you stay in Les Arcs you can get up the mountain by funicular, bypassing the bus journey except for perhaps in in-resort shuttle to get you to your accommodation.
latest report
Thanks rob@rar.org.uk. Is the bus location pretty obvious, well signed and not 300m down the valley in apparently the wrong direction, or something like that?

Ashford is indeed good for me, but I have the 8 person people carrier, and most of those I ski with are in North London. rolling eyes

I'm a boarder you see. All my pals are skiers and come to a stop in a dip somewhere, or committed to one piste at a junction, whereas boarders know to stop on a peak or the ridge of a saddle. (and yes, good boarders don't sit down in the middle of the piste Mad )

So, I move house to live at just the right place to get to the Alps in good time... And I end up having furthest to travel. Crying or Very sad
latest report
crosbie, the bus station is outside the train station. The funicular to get up to Les Arcs is a short walk then over a footbridge. If your skiing buddies are in London, surely they could board the eurostar at Waterloo and you board at Ashford?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, thanks for the advice on the bus station. Most helpful. I presume the 8:00am bus that Jonpim mentioned doesn't go round the houses too much, e.g. to Tignes first? What's the typical journey time to Val d'Isere?

As for getting on the same Eurostar, apparently services stopping at Ashford are going to be halved when the new terminus comes into use (from 6 to 3). It'll start getting even less likely that my pals' train will stop at Ashford.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy