Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Les Brevieres

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody give me any info on Tignes Les Brevieres, ie whats the apres like and distance from Tignes, Val D'Isere and nearest lifts.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look here www.tignes.net for what the resort says. There are lifts from Brevieres up to Tignes - and skiing back down again. It is very low, so may not be the best for early or late season.

I'm far too old to comment on 'Apres' Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The times I've skied down to Les Brevieres it seemed like it was a very long journey back up to the main Tignes bowl. It was at least a couple of slow chairlifts, although I think that a new gondola has since been installed.

Does Les Brevieres get much direct sun during the day? It's in a very steep valley, and I wonder whether the village is a bit gloomy in the early part of the season?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bullet,
I stayed in Les Boisses nearby many years ago, but not Les Brevieres. The lifts out would not put me off as they have upgraded them looking at a recent piste map though you are on the edge of things. I would fully endorse what rob says about it being at the bottom of a steep valley and under a big dam it could be very gloomy. I would be surprised if apres is wild there if that is your thing, it is a pretty small place.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bullet, Stayed in Tignes last Christmas and the runs down to Les Brevieres were fine and last year was not very good for snow in the eary weeks. In fact the runs there were better than the main Tignes ones as they did not have the huge traffic, the snow was in better shape and hadn't been scraped to death.

There is a 6 person bubble which gets you up the mountain pretty quickly, we caught it five or six times and had minimal wait.

I think there are plans for some major development down there.

I've not stayed there, but it's a pretty small place right now, can't see there is that much nightlife.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From memory its only a short drive to Val D'sere 10-15 mins at most. I always think when you see the damn you are nearly at Val
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bullet, Be very cautious, I have heard that SZK may be visiting at the same time as you. If he has another Thai fish soup, what with the state of sewage removal in Tignes, there is a real possibility that the dam may burst Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bullet,
The access via lift to Tignes, and hence Val D'Isere is fair, but not brilliant, via the gondola followed by a choice of two old chairlifts. By car, Tignes le Lac & Val D'Isere both approx 20 mins in good conditions.
Brevieres is NOT on the Tignes bus circular.
I cannot comment on the apres ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed there for a week last year. No problems getting around for skiing (the runs back to Brevieres aren't a bad way to end the day), but the apres ski left something to be desired, with only a few bars in town (and food and drink seemed more expensive than Le Lac, as there aren't too many places to go - maybe 3 bars). It is a pretty steep village, so unless you are on the main road, getting to the lift can be a bit of a hassle.

Also, since it isn't on the bus route, if you get dinner or drinks in another part of Tignes, you are stuck either trying to find a ride back or taking the bus to Les Boisses and trying to ski back in the dark. If you need lessons, Marial (spelling?) at ESF in Breveries is excellent.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the other hand it is the only part of Tignes which is a genuine old village and has a couple of nice restaurants. An artist painted a huge figure with spread arms on the dam - as though he was holding back the water, but it is very faded now. There are some good runs and off piste on that side. One of the ways down from Aiguille Percee (should be an accent on that last e but don't know how to do it) is a very tough black at the bottom (or you can divert and miss that bit).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-09-06 10:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

An artist painted a huge figure with spread arms on the dam - as though he was holding back the water, but it is very faded now.

Was the figure JK KIlly, or is that another "urban myth"?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

An artist painted a huge figure with spread arms on the dam - as though he was holding back the water, but it is very faded now.

Urban myth, I think

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Quote:

Urban myth, I think

[img]http://www.peopleandplanet.net/image.php?id=354[/url]

I was told it was a painting of Atlas Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This from tignesnet.com:
Quote:
The Tignes dam which depicts a giant figure of Hercules on the front, had been designed to generate power for up to 10% of France. However, France developed nuclear power a few years later, and ironically the Tignes dam which has never been used became redundant. It now serves as a huge 'battery' with the ability to supply power to the ski resort in the winter if required, and in the summer if the resources are low. (Every 10 years the lake is emptied for maintenance work to be carried out on the dam and it is possible to see, and even walk around the remains of the old village. - Since the lake was emptied in the spring of 2000 there’s a long wait to do this again.)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a waste Shocked
ski holidays
What a waste Shocked

True. The inhabitants of the original Tignes didn't want it to happen. On the plus side, the compensation paid by the government was used by some of the families to start the Tignes ski area.
Incidently, when crossing the barrage (the dam wall), look at the church on the right (if heading up to Tignes le Lac). The crucifix from the old village church is overlooking the road.
latest report
I have never stayed there only in Val but for a car driver it must have a lot of advantages over the higher Tignes resorts. lower access better in snowy conditions,good access to other resorts ie Villaroger and st Foy .Far quicker to get to other parts of val by car than lifts ,there is plenty of parking up at La Fornet which is far easier to get to by car than lift acces.Les brevieres has a huge free car park right next to the gondala station and the lower runs are the only runs with any trees in the Tignes area.Also there is a great little restaurant on the main st very rustic with excellent food -well worth a vist if you are in the area.the downpoint is the slow lift access at the top of the gondala -if the lift to l'aiguille Percee was upgraded to a fast lift you would have quick access to some of the quietest and best runs in the whole Espace killy ie the la sache run ,i would certainly consider it as a base if that 1 lift was upgraded otherwise go to val.
ski holidays
From the top of the (fast and never crowded) gondola is either a short-ish chair to the left (to ski down to Tignes main Village) or a very long one to the right for the Aiguille Percee. However I notice on the piste map a dotted line for a cable car direct to the top of the shorter chair. I wonder when that will be finished.
snow report
Thanks all, for your info. We're split between two chalets one in Les Brevieres and one in Le Lac, i think Le Lac is hot favourite at the moment just because of access and the nightlife to be had, certainly not because of village aesthetics though. We're gonna put it to the vote and see what people want to do. Thanks again..can always rely on Snowheads for honest information.
snow conditions
Sorry, when I looked again the new lift is from Tignes les Boisses, not Les Brevieres. From Les Boisses (is that the same as Lac?) there are at present two lift stages to get to the top.
ski holidays
bullet, I've spent three holidays in Brevieres and have loved it. The village is lovely, but nightlife is not one of its key attractions. There are two bars - one is a dutch owned bar/ pizza place. Very laidback, decent music, TVs showing ski vids etc. The other is a frankly lunatic place under one of the chalet hotels. Rammed to the gills, very loud and pretty chaotic. The village used to be quieter, but a large number of chalets and (i think) a hotel have been built up on the hill; largely Dutch owned. There are also a couple of decent restaurants. You're only looking at ten minutes to get into Le Lac by lift and ski, and although the Aiguille Percee chair is slow, it's also generally very quiet on that side of Tignes.

The Sache is a fairly demanding return to the village at the end of the day, but there are some easier runs back down through the trees. Definitely a different kettle of fish to Le Lac in terms of nightlife, but we've often ended the day having a few too many in Le Lac to ski back, and grabbed a taxi back to Brevieres for around €15, so hardly a mammoth journey.
ski holidays
stayed in les brev in april a few years back.. v lucky with a big dump just as i arrived.. meaning we could ski back into the town.. bit quiet.. fine for kids.. a lot of the new chalets are up the other side of the valley so you really want to be driving down to the 6 man gondola or bunging the chalet boys some dough to drive you there n pick you up..
if there is snow its a very nice ski back down.. ok boozer at the top of the gondola ..
the dam is a real shame, could have been a great resort winding up the valley a bit but such is life , its an impressive bit of concrete..
also you can get a cab right up to the top and take all day sking back home via val'..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy