Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small children's ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
I'm about to buy some of the above.

What do I need to know?

Am I right in thinking normal small kid's feet are fairly regular and not all lumpy and gnarly so that formal sizing and subjective comfort are all that matter? My kids have Mondo point 17.5 feet at the moment, so would it be reasonable to buy 18.5?

The only thread I've been able to find on this is this one which doesn't help an awful lot.

Anyone with experience of this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges wrote:
Anyone with experience of this?

Yes,shed loads.......most of it bad Sad My daughter(now 9)has caused me loads of repeat trips to hire shops.In truth,the comfort of the boot seems to follow the mood of the child Evil or Very Mad Even my son(14)has his moments!Gave up the 'hire shop nightmare' long ago,both having their own boots.

The only advice I can offer is the obvious...use a good boot fitter.By this I mean someone who can assess the fit without asking the child;thats a road to nowhere IMHO.I would try everyone in your area,and pay close attention to what the fitter does.Out of interest,my two got fitted at Decathlon Shocked Bit of a fluke really;on the day we visited(just to look)a Salomon tech was in store,and he really knew boots and feet.....sorted Very Happy

BTW,abandon any thoughts of perfection,not compatable with kids wink
With any luck,CEM or SZK will give you the professional view.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, hi, I buy ski boots for my kids every few months (dry ski slope lessons). I don't really know much about fitting these things so I buy the head x2 carve as they have a clear plastic window at the end to see toes & are comfy. My only advice about fitting is that if you go to a shop that sells boots without the toe window thingy - you must insist that the liner of the boot is pulled out to enable you to feel the toes & feet in general. Your child is smaller than my 2 & so the x1 carve would be the right size - at the moment they are half price at snow & rock - try the link below - hope it works.

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/junior/ski_boots/products/EH5KI.htm

My oldest daughter (6) has quite wide feet & these boots have always fitted well. good luck!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, I've just looked closely at the x1 boots (link above) and they might be too basic - how old is the child and what stage - obviously the more clips the better applies to kids too & there is only one clip on the x1 - hope cem & szk come back with something on this. The snowskisnow comment about not leaving decisions to kids is so true - tantrums in hire shops about old grey boots spring to mind!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bump

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=412761#412761
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, probably truer than we think Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges, buying one size up in a kids boot of that sort of size should not cause too many issues, be sure that the measurer that the shop used is accurate as many measures for junior sizes are calibrated to give a size of growing room, ie 17.5 on gauge, actual foot size 16.5 therefore buying 18.5 is 2 sizes too large.

take a look at lockwoods as they do a trade in system on kids boots, you can buy either new or used and trade them i against the next pair as the kids grow out of them Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, junior sizes are calibrated to give a size of growing room, ie 17.5 on gauge, I didn't know that - wish they'd say!! regarding the trade in - you can also get a really good price on e-bay - for example the x2s are £33 - and you can get £25+ for them on e-bay if you time it right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, how do I check the measurer? I used one in EB which was a continuous scale from kids through to adults, so I think that should've been ok? Ta.

rpft@rpft.co.uk, thanks for that, I'll check out ebay too, though as you say S&R have some online and they'll probably be easier to return to if any problems!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
take a look at lockwoods as they do a trade in system on kids boots, you can buy either new or used and trade them i against the next pair as the kids grow out of them Toofy Grin

That reminds me I must call in with Junior and his X1s - he's had them 18 months and his toes now reach the end of the window so should probably have some new ones. But somehow I don't think Lockwoods are going to offer a massive trade-in: they look distinctly 'used'!

CEM, you fitted his last pair: do I trust you with his next? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, if it was a generic measure then it should be fine

rpft@rpft.co.uk, Brannock junior measure is set up that way to allow growing room, some others are but your average ski shop measure is fine.

RobW, incase you haven't worked it out yet Rob, i ain't there no more
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, Out of curiosity what to Lockwoods et al do with the boots that are part ex'd Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, they clean em up and sell them second hand,

example (prices from last season ish) buy it NEW, £40 use it trade it in get £10-15
buy a USED one £20-25

buy it used in the first place £20-25 trade it in and get £10 etc etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:

RobW, incase you haven't worked it out yet Rob, i ain't there no more

Couldn't fail to miss your (general) absence wink But on other threads you do say you're there 23rd October.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, no problem - hope you get sorted out. Are they having dry ski slope lessons?

I feel v. guilty buying from S&R because we have a really good local shop here (norfolk), but these boots at S&R were £35 cheaper than to buy locally & I am buying for 2 kids quite frequently. My kids have both got big feet for their ages, so the binding size is too big for the ski size & it is therefore easier for them to have their own boots & skis (with rental bindings to adjust!) anybody else have this problem??
snow report
rpft@rpft.co.uk, keep an eye on the Lockwoods price for junior skis, last few seasons their ski and binding price was the same as S&R's ski only price
ski holidays
rpft@rpft.co.uk, they've had dry slope lessons at Hemel for 3 seasons running and this year now that they're physically a bit bigger we'll be going to MK more regularly. I'm resigned to buying new boots for each twice yearly but will try to delay the pain of skis for as long as I can unless some cheap used ones come available.
snow report
CEM, thanks for that - we have lots of friends with bigger kids, so tend to buy v.cheap 2nd hand skis & fit railflex rental bindings for flexibility, but will bookmark lockwoods for the future. last year snowskisnow gave us a pair of salomon crossmax for kids & they have been fantastic.

slikedges, lucky you, wish MK was nearer to us, though the slope at norwich is huge & the instructors brilliant. I only buy skis & boots because of the above mentioned problem, both girls have big feet for the length of the skis and it gave the ski school fitters a headache trying to accommodate this anomaly!
snow report
Thought it may be useful to someone at some point if I posted what we did.

Ellis Brigham in MK were all out. Snow and Rock had the Salomon Performa T2 and the Head Cyber X2 online at around £35, which is at about a £20 discount for each. We rang S&R in Hemel who actually had some in stock and paid a visit. My kids' feet measured mondo point 17.5-18, so we were expecting to come away with size 18.5-19 boots. Because the size 18.5 Cyber boot is the X1 model with only one clip, we tried the 19.5 X2 double clip model first and were surprised to find that it was too tight! The Head Cyber range have the little window in the liner to check where the toes are but actually as kids' liners are so soft it's probably not necessary - you can just pinch and feel. There was hardly any room in the 19.5 liner! So we moved up to the 20.5 which was fine. We then also tried each child in the Performa T2 size 19. The liner was about the same size as the X2 20.5 rolling eyes . Finally we let the kids decide according to which they said was more comfortable and held their heels better when walking round in them. Of course I suspect they actually decided according to which colour they preferred. wink
snow report
Similar theme - different question. In your opinions is it worth getting my 8 nearly 9 year old his own boots?

If it makes a difference to the advice, he's around a UK size 2, had about 8 weeks on snow in the last 4 yrs, and likely to get 2 or 3 weeks this season.
snow report
We've hired boots for the kids (now 12 yo) over the last 9 seasons, no problems. I don't imagine that the fit has always been ideal, but no complaints and they ski pretty damn well. I've no reason to suppose that their feet are unusual, although my son, like me, has wide feet and high insteps.

I think that the chances of a boot which the kid says are fine in the shop in Englandstill being regarded as fine several weeks later on the snow are likely to be slim, kids being what they are (annoying little sods), and if my experience of getting boots to fit comfortably is anything to go by, they'll have grown out of them before that happens.

At least if hired boots are uncomfortable you can take them back at once.
snow conditions

Not really small children but didn't want to start a new thread for this...

My 14 year old is pestering me to get her a pair of boots. She says that her feet have stopped growing, but how can I be sure of this, and even if they have, will her feet/ankles/lower legs change shape at all over the next couple of years.

I don't want to buy her boots if they will only last a couple of years. What do people think?
snow report
Ray Zorro, Buy her a new pair of boots each year. After all this years pair won't be fashionable next year or the wrong colour or the................

wink
snow conditions
Just checked out Lockwoods on-line.....Wow I really like the junior ski packages - Salomon Course 70 boots, skis, bindings and poles for £150 Blush

Pity they are 500 miles distance from me.

BTW: My local indpendent Ski/Outdoor shop (est 120 years ago!) reckons that kids should get at least 2 seasons out of a pair of boots
snow conditions
rikochet wrote:
BTW: My local indpendent Ski/Outdoor shop (est 120 years ago!) reckons that kids should get at least 2 seasons out of a pair of boots

Yes, that'd be right - winter and spring! wink
latest report
rikochet, guess they are just selling em big and filling them up with socks..... rolling eyes and yep i know who the shop is Toofy Grin

Ray Zorro, here feet may not have finished growing yet, girls tend to stop from 14-16 boys from 16-18 but the bones do not finish ossifying until they are into their early twenties....the other issue is what boots do you get, she probably has adult size feet and will want ladies boots, but she probably will not have the power in her legs to flex them properly
snow conditions
I just got a pair of Mondo point 16.0 for my 3 yr old from Lockwoods for £15. They are used but you would never know.

Cool Cool
ski holidays
CEM, thanks, I needed a good excuse to not get her some, and you have just given it to me wink Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy