Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Fitness Workouts

Poster: A snowHead
Well its coming to the time of year when people will start to think about their hill fitness and if they will be able to physically cope with the demands of the coming season. (if they don't think about it all year round already that is wink )

You will remember a few months ago I mentioned that I had set up a ski/board specific workout program which I was going to post on here. Well due to the size of the project (lots of pictures etc) I was unable to get it on here. I sent a copy of everything through to admin but as yet he has been unable to get it on the forum.

Therefore if anyone is interested in getting a copy of this workout then please feel free to PM me with your email address and I will send it through to you. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can testify these are very good! The ski-specific ones look excellent but require a BOSU - I'll be sticking to the gym equipment based exercises.

Returned to the gym on Saturday after an absence of nearly 3 weeks - my legs are still hurting today but not as bad as yesterday. Perhaps playing squash as well on the Sunday wasn't that good an idea Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im all up for hitting the gym again, and lots of praccy on the dry slope to get my head back in again pre crimbo hitting the white stuff.

stocky If you want me to host the stuff for you, then I have a domain and plenty of bandwidth. Entirely your call.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, what's a BOSU? I guess the question means I need one.... Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, half a gym ball.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They seem quite expensive here, compared to the prices on US websites that came up on a Google search.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Half a ball is better than none Jim. Didn't Spock say that?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda, no. It's a welsh thing Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda wrote:
Half a ball is better than none Jim. Didn't Spock say that?
No, I think it was Marie Stoppes Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
They seem quite expensive here, compared to the prices on US websites that came up on a Google search.

Helen Beaumont - I have one of these - which looks identical to me. It's also on sale at the moment and is reduced to £39.99
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, where?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
PhillipStanton, where?

There on the chair right there?

Ooops, sorry, posted the wrong link. This should work better. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton, thanks for that. I'll have a look in TKMAxx later too, trhey quite often have that sort of thing there for some reason.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Let me know how you do there. Stocky's demanding that we have 5 of them!!!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stocky - not sure I know how to ask this...

How "firm" should it be. The BOSU?
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
Let me know how you do there. Stocky's demanding that we have 5 of them!!!!!

The BOSU workout is a more gym based routine allowing for the fact that most decent gyms have a few of these at least. My club has about 25 of them and I also own one myself.

As regards firmness then it should be firm but not rigid if you know what I mean? wink When you start using one make sure it is fairly squashy as this will give you more control over your movement. The firmer the BOSU is the more difficult it is to maintain your balance, especially when you have it dome side down.

pam w THIS is a BOSU.
snow report
stocky wrote:
The BOSU workout is a more gym based routine allowing for the fact that most decent gyms have a few of these at least. My club has about 25 of them and I also own one myself.

I've very glad of that Stocky - if I bought 5 BOSUs then I'm not sure that I could afford to ski!

stocky wrote:
...firm...not rigid...fairly squashy...

Errrrrrr...well, I think that covers most of the options Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Quote:

stocky wrote:
...firm...not rigid...fairly squashy...

Errrrrrr...well, I think that covers most of the options

Glad we cleared that one up then. wink Laughing
snow report
stocky, thanks bud, I'll be giving it a try out down the gym tomorrow snowHead
ski holidays
marc gledhill, no problems. Glad to be of assistance.
snow report
Oooh....I've just managed to pick up a BOSU lookee likee for a fiver on our work equivalent of ebay! This is just what I need to know what to do with it....PM on it's way stocky
snow report
homphomp, i'm sure J B Priestly could spell 'Quite' Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

stocky, cheers for the program
ski holidays
Just done an aerobic session of interval training as suggested. Phew, that's tough! I normally do about 20 mins on the stepper on an aerobic programme but getting my legs to run on the treadmill - and then fast, I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow I'm sure! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
stocky, Thanks very much, got lots to do now the exercises will help lots with my rehab and hopefully get me fit again,
ski holidays
Russell, CEM, glad to be of assistance. snowHead
latest report
stocky, Thank you !! This will keep me going now for some while!! Very Happy
ski holidays
stocky, Excellent low cost stuff. I shall try and read mine every day.
snow report
Can't be bothered with this boring gym stuff, so I plan to do a lot of walking about. Mainly in places like this:

It has the added advantage of being free.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, it just doesn't get you very fit though.
snow report
Getting up there felt a lot like spending an hour and a half on one of those gym treadmill thingies, so I can't imagine it's making no difference at all to my fitness levels.
snow conditions
Lizzard, sorry, my post may have been a bit misleading. You will get fitter by walking up there than you would doing nothing, that's for sure.

But I'd bet you get fitter still spending that same time in the gym, or running, or cycling.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Walks on water. Just as I thought wink
ski holidays
marc gledhill, but the gym ican be extremely boring and tedious, and expensive. Anyway, exercise to increase your fitness does not need to be gym based. Lizzard lives at altitude, it takes more effort to climb that mountain than it would to walk the same distance here. To increase fitness, you need to increase your cardiac output, anything that increases you heart rate will do that. Walking up a mountain is as good a way as anything else.
snow report
marc gledhill, however, I wouldn't spend my entire day at the gym because it's very boring, the views aren't as good, and I don't get to see any marmottes. It also smells funny.
snow report
Quote:

It also smells funny.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
marc gledhill, but the gym ican be extremely boring and tedious, and expensive. Anyway, exercise to increase your fitness does not need to be gym based. Lizzard lives at altitude, it takes more effort to climb that mountain than it would to walk the same distance here. To increase fitness, you need to increase your cardiac output, anything that increases you heart rate will do that. Walking up a mountain is as good a way as anything else.

All very true Helen Beaumont but due to the dynamic nature of skiing you need to tailor any training to target that aspect. Walking at altitude will make you work harder but will not improve the explosive, dynamic side of your fitness. That needs to be targeted specifically. That can be greater acheived in a gym or by doing specific exercises all be it in an outdoor environment.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
stocky, Excellent low cost stuff. I shall try and read mine every day.

Evil or Very Mad Laughing Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
To all those people who have asked for my ski workout I would be grateful if after you have worked through it for a few weeks you could send me a bit of feedback as to how it went for you.

Just a few lines about enjoyment, difficulty or anything you think might improve the workouts.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
Next dumb question stocky...

I can't find BOSU step ups in the destructions. I'm guessing it's just a step up onto the domed side...?
ski holidays
PhillipStanton wrote:
Next dumb question stocky...

I can't find BOSU step ups in the destructions. I'm guessing it's just a step up onto the domed side...?

Correctomundo Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy