Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
No1 son(14yrs old)wears his glasses most of the time.Has had a few vision problems in the past with standard goggles,so is now thinking prescription.Thing is,I,m a bit reluctant as,either he will scratch them or lose them;and they aint cheap?
Anyone got any info on this?The other alternative being high volume gogs,but struggling to find them in junior sizes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowskisnow, I don't normally stick up for the supermarkets,hate the places, but Tesco opticians were doing some last winter for £35 I think.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No. 1 wife (very old) also wears glasses.

She has some bolle goggles with a prescription insert (I think adidas also do these). Once we got the inserts we had Costco make and fit the lenses for about £35/40 I think. The good thing about the insert is you can move it between goggles if they get damaged.

The cheap way is to get goggles that fit over the top of his glasses.

Have a look here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowskisnow, Goggles are a pain for the glasses wearer. I had a pair in Scotland but they were useless... they had a pair of glasses mounted in the frame, and would fog up before you could say 'mist'.

I have some Smith OTG goggles for my motorbike - they work well, and don't fog too badly.. but the peripheral vision from them is very limited....

For skiing I've found contact lenses are the best solution....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow, Mr Lizzard is a blind old git and uses daily disposable contact lenses when out boarding. Cost about £30 for a month's supply, but they last longer than this as he wears glasses when not out on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowskisnow, Lizzard, I am also a blind old git Evil or Very Mad however, I have to agree with the slimey one . Daily contacts are best.

I wear varifocals ( glasses and contact lenses) in normal life but having experimented with OTG goggles, tinted 'varifocal' glasses and those horrendous (Adidas?) things , I have finally gone with daily disposables which just adjust my long-distance vision ... wear 'handi-pack' reading glasses if I ever ski far enough to need a read a map (or menu!) and they have the added advantage of stopping me focusing on my skis Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Contact lenses. They have come down in price so much recently.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OTG goggles...just find a pair that fit your face shape and you will soon forget that you are wearing an extra layer
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans, Mr L maintains that he is 'differently sighted', since although he loses anything which is more than two inches from his nose, he can easily read the hallmark on his wedding ring. He should probably have been a watchmaker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unfortunately not everyone can/want to wear contacts. I have prescription inserts in my Bolle goggles and they are good. I didn't find steaming up much of a problem when wearing a hat. Since I switched over to wearing a helmet they never steam up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowskisnow, I wear glasses, and use Oakey goggles over them. Never had a problem with misting at all. Otherwise check Tesco opticians as last year they were offering prescription goggles at £35.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ice perv wrote:
Unfortunately not everyone can/want to wear contacts.

That is one of the problems.At 14 the general advice seems to be no.Although he's keen,our optician is against it.He feels its unlikely that a 14yr old will exercise the degree of care and hygene required.......and I agree.

Tesco's is interesting.No clue on the web site,however it is summer.Will give them a ring.Thanks for the info Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
does anyone know a good and cheapish place to get prescription sunglasses made and also the best colour lense to go with for general sunny on piste skiing?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow, I'm not 14 and should know better but am also terrible at looking after contacts but I can't stand wearing glasses for any physical activity. I use toric daily disposable lenses when doing any activities. I have a bit of an astigmatism which my daily disposables don't correct completely but the vision is fine. I told the optician that I only want to use the lenses for a couples hours at a time and they seemed OK with that (OK, I fibbed, I wear them much longer)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rizzotherock, Specsaver did mine, but they are a franchise and I had to talk the owner into it ..

snowskisnow, I'd have thought between parents and the young man himself his elf-control and discipline might be better than adult 'know-alls' who drink wine ... but then I'm an adult (allegedly)
ski holidays
snowskisnow, My son was about 14 when he started wearing contacts. We figured with the hygiene thing (14yr old boys are disgusting!) that daily disposibles were the best option. He played a lot of sports so glasses were causing problems. Solves the goggle problem too. He was lucky though that he could tolerate them, I guess. Dailies are expensive, but eyesite is so precious.
ski holidays
When I was a glasses wearer I used contacts for skiing and went back to glasses at night. Not everyone gets on well with contacts though and I think a ski trip is somewhere that would show any problems or irritation up quite quickly and the last thing you want is streaming eyes on a ski run.
latest report
tesco are fine.

take them out after you get them, and coast the lenses in fairy liquid. Leave and buff in. this gives the lenses an "anti fog". Repeat every 3-5 days of use, or every day if skiing through rain during the day. Same for easter when hot as the sweat also beads off the fairy.

Possibly also take some plastic glue and use round the edges of the lenses to the lenses frame/caddy. I cracked one of mine in the cold (and abuse) and needed a glue fix. Will give the caddy strength from the lens, as only held at the lower points. Only works if you don't expect the perscription to change.

the FOV is not stellar with these goggles, although everything in view is through the lenses. That take some getting used to if short sighted as normally you see the surrounding blurred (uncorrected)

Hope this helps
snow report
I shopped around last year and found a lot of opticians can offer prescription goggles but they told me they don't get asked much and did'nt advertise it. I went with contacts in the end but understand this is not an option for everyone. Prices varied a lot. Good luck (The Tesco deal sounds excellent, will they be blue and white stripy frames though ? Very Happy Very Happy )
ski holidays
paulhothersall, I looked at the Tesco ones last year but decided against getting some then but my eyes have now deteriorated a little and I have to wear glasses for driving so I guess they would help a great deal for skiing. The Tesco ones looked OK especially for £40 but I doubted whether they could be worn with a helmet. Have you found this at all?

snowskisnow, I don't know where you live but if you visit Tesco's supermarkets with opticians in store they may well have a pair to look at. Peterborough Tesco's certainly did quite recently when I went in. If not there is a small picture of them here .
snow report
Does that Tesco deal include varifocal lenses? That would be ideal for me but my vision is not too bad (just old age, it was 6/6 till I was 40!) and I can ski without glasses at a push. But like the ice perv, I found wearing a helmet eliminated all fogging problems, and I can wear a range of different goggle shapes with mine, on top of glasses. My husband wears daily contacts for ski-ing, though he doesn't much like them, he is super short sighted (can read hallmarks at 1 inch range!) but favours such huge specs that none of the OTG goggles actually go over them! Hygiene is not an issue with dailies, and several of my teenaged nephews and nieces wear them with no problem. I can't wear contacts though - I am so useless I couldn't even get one in my eye when I did a "free trial" with Specsavers! But an image conscious teenager is motivated to persevere - that might be the best answer and they don't add much to the cost of a ski holiday.
snow conditions
pam w, I was told to stop wearing varifocals when I'm skiing as the 'movement' distorts the vision and is bad for your eyes - I would take an opthamoligist's (sp) advice.
snow conditions
snowskisnow, Mr L first had contacts at about 14 and had no problem with looking after them. If careless teenagerness is a problem there is the option of daily disposables or monthly high-permeability disposables which can be worn continuously for the month. I have these, and although I never do leave them in all month, I often wear them continuously if I'm away from home for a while.
ski holidays
Tesco update......yes,they still do them(all year round)but one problem;they only do one which fits......"an average adult face",whatever that is?No choice of colour or size,so no good for junior.

pam w, They only do single vision lenses.

The search continues rolling eyes
ski holidays
snowskisnow wrote:
No1 son(14yrs old)wears his glasses most of the time.Has had a few vision problems in the past with standard goggles,so is now thinking prescription.Thing is,I,m a bit reluctant as,either he will scratch them or lose them;and they aint cheap?
Anyone got any info on this?The other alternative being high volume gogs,but struggling to find them in junior sizes.

SportRx makes prescription snow goggles that you can order online. They also have a variety of prescription lens inserts that can fit pretty much any model of snow goggle that you may already have. Get an anti-fog coating – it’s a life saver!

As for the snow goggle itself, goggles that have polycarbonate lenses are great. They are impact and scratch resistant. Smith Optics has some great snow goggle options.

Also, if your teen wears a ski/snowboarding helmet, it’s good to get goggles that are helmet compatible. Ones that have silicone grip on the inside of the strap are ideal to keep them from slipping. Larger snow goggle models are also ideal to fit over the helmet. Smith also has “helmet helpers” which are strap extensions that will help the goggle fit around the helmet.

In addition, goggles with minimal frame and a larger lens is great for wider field of vision. Not only is that the style these days (which is a win with the teens) but it helps with peripheral vision which can be a major safety issue when limited. Hope that helps Smile
snow report
SportRX are brilliant, I have used them for ski, cycling and golf glasses (or goggles) etc and always been spot on! Saying that at the moment I have a great pair of OTG goggles that I have never had a problem with, never misted up or anything, they have always worked perfectly.
latest report
My daughter started wearing contacts from aged 14 and 9 months (this summer). She is very sensible (boarding school knocked that into her) and she has had no problems using "monthlies". Specsavers were able to sort her out.

Last year's ski was the first year of HAVING to wear glasses. We bought some OTG goggles from Decathalon in Reading. They were "ok" but her hot head made them steam up.
In Morzine we went into a ski-shop who dug around and found what I can only explain as being a "welders mask". A flip up and down goggle. This worked really well for the remainder of our trip.

This winter (now she has contacts) she is looking forward to getting back to wearing normal goggles again. She really hated the feel of wearing glasses AND goggles.
latest report
Nice bit of thread necromancy - 8 years.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy