Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on early season ski trip please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm new to this site so I hope I'm in the correct forum ! We are planning a family ski trip at Christmas week. Myself and my wife have been skiing 5 times but my teenage kids are first timers. As we've never been skiing this early before, I need to find out where you would recommend for good snow for somewhere between say December 20th and January 2nd.....I went to Sauze 2 years ago and thought it would be perfect for the first trip for the kids but would worry about snow there that early !

Any advice would be appreciated !

Ta,

Ben
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ben Dover, Weclome to snowHead s

Go high - anywhere with a glacier - Tignes, Les Deux Alpes spring to mind. Early season in last few years in Austria (Obergurgl, Hintertuchs) has been very good recently.

Get you kids to the dryslope for lessons before you go ! wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ben Dover, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ben Dover, have you got a cousin by the surname McCracken?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ben Dover, Welcome.

While height doesn't guarantee you good snow (nothing does), it does positively increase the likelihood.

That said, IIRC, early season conditions in Morzine (not high at all) last year were generally better than those in many "higher" French resorts I believe.

Also, height can bring its own problems (cold, wind, exposure, lack of trees in bad weather).

I have no personal experience of Austria but would think you might also want to look at areas with good snow making - e.g. in Italy: Courmayeur or Champoluc - or as mentioned somewhere with a glacier - e.g. Cervinia.

Champoluc has the advantage that the skiing area is reasonably limited and simple so if the offspring make good progress you don't need to worry about them getting lost. It's also a good family resort. If you're looking for a package then I understand http://www.ski-2.com/ do so (I have NO affiliation) - if booking DIY then ideally fly to Turin, Milan Malpensa or Milan Linate in that order and I can highly recommend the Hotels Castor or Breithorn. The Hotel Favre is a bit more budget oriented.

(You might also want to look at Chamonix - and there, yes, I do have an affiliation! PM me if you like for information).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the help, Peter in reply to your question, I don't but I do have an uncle who goes by the name of McCrevice, Phil McCrevice !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ben Dover, same joke different surname wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ben Dover, Alpe D'Huez has a pretty good early snow record.
We are there this coming Xmax from 16th to 26th as I think it's a pretty sure bet.
Have a look at www.skialacarte.co.uk
snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Val Thorens, 2300m. Can be cold, almost snow sure!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ben Dover, welcome to snowHead are you still making the films? Not that I've seen any I hasten to add Shocked .

Austria has had the better early season snow of recent years, and if that trend were to continue, then resorts like, Schladming, Obertauern, Obergurgl, Ischgl will be opening end Nov/early Dec, so should be OK for you.

There are many of us going away that time, so hopefully all of us will get good snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ben Dover, Welcome to snowHead , if you ask nicely Admin will change your name !

Try This one and look at Le By ... 150m from centre and 200 m from piste ( maybe less), have stayed there , no lift but otherwise renovated, modern and large being a 3p for 2 people. Only problem being that this is a very French Les Gets agent ( most of the others are Brit sloaneys Shocked ) so a smattering of French helps !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to Obertauern early for the last three seasons and its always had good snow. Not as busy as the bigger resorts and the piste quality is pretty good especially for kids.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going to a resort which has high altitude skiing is the conventional wisdom, although that's no guarantee that those resorts will offer the best of early season snow. A problem with high altitude resorts is that they can be very bleak if the weather is bad: high winds, very poor visibility, possible lift closure, etc. It's therefore helpful if your resort also offers some skiing below the treeline in case the weather closes in. Les Arcs would be one option for you; it has high altitude skiing, up to 3,200m, but also lots of skiing below the tree-line at Peisey/Vallandry, Arc 1600 and the Villaroger parts of the domain. There is quite extensive snow-making facilities (doubled in size for this coming season), protecting key pistes in case there isn't too much of the real stuff.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks All for the help, will investigate all suggestions further. In answer to Ray Zorro, Did you and I work together at some stage ? I haven't made one of 'those' films since I got tangled up in my crampons two years ago...I just don't seem to have the star attraction that I used to !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ben Dover, I'll PM you the details of our Christmas trip that provenjohn is coming out on Very Happy
ski holidays
Ben Dover, Christmas is a gamble, as indeed is any time in December and early January.
Pistes take time to build up. It all depends on when the snow starts. Some seasons have been wonderful, but recently rather more have been pretty miserable.
I've had OK Christmases in Cervinia ('87), Courchevel ('93) and Vaujany/Alpe d'Huez ('97), but conditions were never as good as later in the season.
And you have the added problem of two first timers: it is the lower easier slopes are most likely to be in poor shape in a bad year.
On the other hand Christmas in the alps can be such a super experience.
So my advice is go. Go primarily for a different sort of Christmas: a christmas in the mountains. And then if there is decent snow, consider that a bonus.
You'll have a great time.
snow report
Ben Dover, if you are the real 'Ben Dover' then we were contempories at secondary school. I can assure you most categorically that we would have not worked together Toofy Grin I always wondered why you weren't invited back to give out the awards at prizegiving along with the others that had gone on to "success" in their chosen field Laughing

Good luck with the holiday planning though, and do try to keep your clothes on when on the slopes - you'll need to protect your assets snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy