Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

disabled skiing

Poster: A snowHead
rjs - IIRC the rest of them were going to Italy...so he wanted to take kid there too....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
donzo112 wrote:
havent booked anything yet but hope to tag along with family and friends to Livigno unless I can talk them into going elsewhere.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
right.... bunch of italian instructors all finished work today.... and gone off to beaches in queensland... Sad No-one has contact details...

but the team are still working on possible solutions....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Donzo,
Really sorry i didn't see your thread earlier! i am a disabled skier myself (mono-skiing paraplegic) and know lots of these programmes. Been there done it, got the T-shirt. First, please please do make sure you go somewhere that has an established disabled ski programme with properly qualified and experienced instructors.
I saw Steve Bova mentioned above - he is great and a personal friend of mine, BUT he is a race coach and not appropriate for a beginning mono-skier.
Your son is best either: Going with one of the charitys such as Disability Snowsport (please explain why they didn't help you - I can make sure that they do!!!), or BackUp; or going to an established centre abroad that have the right equipment and teachers - try Winter Park (biggest in the world) or Crested Butte (my favourite and where I am working as an instructor this winter).
Most important is to get the right instruction. Qualifications: look for BASI Adaptive qualified instructors or PSIA Adaptive qualified - these are the two leading certification schemes for instructors and learning with them will be efficient (properly focussed on what your son can do), fun and safe.
I'd be really happy to talk through your options and also help you arrange a lesson or two at a real snow slope (forget Dendex- plastic - it's horrible for learning to Mono-ski) in the UK at Milton Keynes with my BSCD friend Jan Williams group or at Castleford with me and a DSUK friend and instructor Dominik Jonas.
Please send me a private message if you are interested and I'll give you my numbers! Let's get your son skiing!!!!
dave. Little Angel

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 21-09-06 12:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah...just saw you are in Ireland. So Castleford or Milton Keynes aren't super good for you........are you hooked up on definitely going to Livigno? Another possibility for a family holiday in Europe where your son (what is his name? I hate referring in 3rd person) can ski with you and get really solid one to one instruction is with Redpoint in Hochfeugen Austria. Sara Jones is an instructor for Redpoint and is fully adaptive qualified and can get you the right hire equipment. Look at http://www.redpoint.co.uk/disabled-holidays.shtml .........they will do a full package for you (say you were referred by Dave Chugg!).
Anyway I know we can get you sorted. Keep in touch.
Dave.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, also you can find more links, info and ski videos showing all this stuff in action on my own website http://www.everybodyskis.com
Very Happy Dave.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Donzo

did you manage to get any joy from the Thredbo patrollers re locating that italian/australian pro-patroller?

My mob are still working on their end I guess.... big shame about missing all those italians... I can only hope they manage to find some help....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
big claps to the guys from Inverno Estate Ski School in Livigno

Quote:

Livigno, 09,27,2006

Dario told me something about your request and the unic thing that I can do is give you this address where you can find the equipment that are you looking for:
dacopin@tin.it
balosetti@libero.it
www.pohlavarese.it

This disabled people come to Livigno to train on ski and they should help you
All the best

Cusini Maurilio

Scuola Sci e Snowboard Livigno Inverno Estate
Via Plan 273 - 2303 Livigno (SO)
Tel. +39 0342 996.276 - Fax +39 0342 970.073
http://www.scuolascilivigno.com

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
donzo112, The Back Up Trust are awesome for all of this. even if you don't fancy joining one of their trips, they will be able to tell you which resorts are best catering for this, where to hire equipment and get help in resort etc.
Try to speak to Lucy at Back Up, she has always been very helpful.
If you do, please say hi from Will from Les Arcs (re back up trust fund raising : http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18673)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger wrote:
big claps to the guys from Inverno Estate Ski School in Livigno

Quote:

Livigno, 09,27,2006

Dario told me something about your request and the unic thing that I can do is give you this address where you can find the equipment that are you looking for:
dacopin@tin.it
balosetti@libero.it
www.pohlavarese.it

This disabled people come to Livigno to train on ski and they should help you
All the best

Cusini Maurilio

Scuola Sci e Snowboard Livigno Inverno Estate
Via Plan 273 - 2303 Livigno (SO)
Tel. +39 0342 996.276 - Fax +39 0342 970.073
http://www.scuolascilivigno.com

just tried that link and it does not work... try www.polhavarese.it
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
donzo112, What have you got against France ?
rjs, nothing against France. tagging along with friends to Livigno
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
right donzo.... hopefully we can get you a sit ski from one of those links...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger wrote:
right donzo.... hopefully we can get you a sit ski from one of those links...
little tiger, http://www.scuolascilivigno.com/ dont have equipment
dacopin@tin.it this address failed.
balosetti@libero.it this mail box is full.

Im still trying
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try the polhavarese one... but you will need an Italian interpreter - no english.... Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger wrote:
try the polhavarese one... but you will need an Italian interpreter - no english.... Wink

donzo112 - if you need a little Italian to get by then you could try the Google language tools - www.google.co.uk/language_tools?hl=en
snow conditions
spoilsport!
I was hoping someone would translate for him... surely someone speaks Italian?
snow report
little tiger wrote:
spoilsport!

Ah, sorry, didn't realise that human help was the only form accepted. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
little tiger wrote:
spoilsport!

Ah, sorry, didn't realise that human help was the only form accepted. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

Shocked there are humans here?
ski holidays
scuzi' mi italiano non troppo ben'e Little Angel
snow report
little tiger wrote:

tried this site and it has a link to balosetti@libero.it and his post box is full
snow conditions
did you try this phone number

P O L H A - V A R E S E
Associazione Polisportiva per Disabili

SEDE LEGALE e RECAPITO POSTALE-TELEFONICO:
c/o Daniela COLONNA-PRETI
Via Guicciardini, 56 - 21100 VA - TEL/FAX 0332/263770
e-mail: dacopi@tin.it

DENOMINAZIONE FISCALE:
POLHA-VARESE - Associazione Polisportiva per Disabili
Via Guicciardini, 56 - 21100 VARESE - P.IVA e C.F. 01941470120

ISCRIZ. REGISTRO REGIONALE DEL VOLONTARIATO:
Associazione Onlus: decreto Presidente Giunta Regionale n.51846 del 4/2/94 e n.406 del 2/2/98, in base alla L.R.22/93.
(Sezione Sociale, n.di codice 700)
snow conditions
no point cant speak the lingo
latest report
donzo112 wrote:

well I don't speak the lingo either....

but following on from a rather babbled mumbling from me(english and poor schoolgirl french) some poor woman there gave me a phone number for another gentleman...

he spoke english...
Someone had told him Dario had spoken to me and he is expecting your email now on
alpaleri@tin.it

his phone number (if my italian alphabet failed) is 0331832400

he is very pleasant and helpful and keen to find you some help Smile
latest report
little tiger wrote:
donzo112 wrote:

well I don't speak the lingo either....

but following on from a rather babbled mumbling from me(english and poor schoolgirl french) some poor woman there gave me a phone number for another gentleman...

he spoke english...
Someone had told him Dario had spoken to me and he is expecting your email now on
alpaleri@tin.it

his phone number (if my italian alphabet failed) is 0331832400

he is very pleasant and helpful and keen to find you some help Smile
Just sent an email to alpaleri@tin.it. If i have no joy here I think I may be better going to another resort. It will certainly be an awful lot easier.
snow conditions
donzo - the guy I spoke to even knows which instructor I skied with when I was there....

he says the disabled stuff should eb do-able - and is keen to help... he says the team train there and it is "headquarters" for skiing

give him a ring if the email fails... my biggest problem was trying to explain that I am not going nor need help... but i am trying to help you otherwise he was very nice and trying desperately to make it work....
ski holidays
little tiger,

Three cheers for Alessandro Paleri <alpaleri@tin.it> who can provide me with every thing I need in Livigno including expert tuition and equipment rental and six cheers to little tiger who if it were not for her continuous cajoling I think I would have given up a long time ago.
snow conditions
donzo112, great news Very Happy

little tiger, you are a real star, I have been amazed and impressed at your tenacity throughout these threads, good for you in getting Donzo sorted - excellent work snowHead
ski holidays
donzo112, Great stuff. Hope you all have the most wonderful time. Well said Raymondo.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
donzo112,

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ray Zorro,
ummmmm. the tenacity part is sort of how I got named the name I use for these forums Wink I am kind of known for my refusal to take more or less as good enough.... i always seem to be after better results.... I knew from the conversations with the guys at Inverno Estate that it should have been doable.... it was just a matter of finding out how....

Can I add that the folks at Inverno Estate provided the needed links and had already spoken to the folks involved re getting donzo sorted.... can we return the favour by attempting to get folks to use their ski school if there is no better reason not to?
Without the help from dario (and I think Lorenzo) this would not have happened...[/img]
snow report
Oh, I do love a happy ending.
Please keep on touch donzo112, and tell us how it all works out.

But this thread does suggest there is a need for easier access to information for disabled skiers.
I have often seen skiers on ski-seats around my favouriite resort Belle Plagne, but this facility is not very prominent.
I had to search through the ESF site to find this.

Anyway, best of luck for you and your son at Livigno.
snow conditions
I think tenacious is the correct word to describe little tiger (little angel in my eyes) as I had contacted Inverno estate by email on at least two occasions to be told that they could offer tuition but I would need to bring my own equipment and I never asked for information on who could supply me with it. Just one word of caution.In a previous reply choodalls warns me to ensure I get tuition from proerly qualified instructors. I have copied the reply from my email which supports this good advice.

Dear mr. Donnelly,

we will be pleased to help you. Our ski team (www.sportingspirit.it) is based in livigno, and we deal both with racing and instruction ‘support’ activities. And we may also provide for rent (€uro 30,00.- per Day) monoski and dualski complete with outriggers, cushion seat... I need to know when you are willing to come to Livigno, and to compile the attached file in order to check the availability for that period of mono/dualskies. I will give you the contact with the right instructor also, because monoski teaching is particular and only one/two people in Livigno are really able to make that, in spite of the advertising of ‘disabled ski instruction’ availability.

Waiting your answer,

Alessandro Paleri

(vice-chairman of SSST – National coordinator for mono/dualskiing promotional activities at Italian Paralympic Committee)

Very Happy
snow report
YAY.....

Donzo,
Can i just reiterate that without a fair bit of help from the Inverno estate guys I would have had no idea....

So can you get your able bodied buddies to try to support them if possible?

I tend to get help because i work on the "swings and roundabouts" theory.... i try hard to help when i can - and others tend to help back.... generally folks seem to recognise and be more willing to help when it is not taken for granted too much... (most folks are good natured but hate being used up)

Big hand also to Mr paleri and his buddy at dacopi@tin.it who put up with my pigeon Italian/French/English efforts....
ski holidays
little tiger, Like you I also believe that what goes around comes around. There are least eight able bodied skiers going and some of the party have not skied before including me. I for one will be seeking tuition from inverno estate and will be encouraging the rest of my friends to do the same. Very Happy
snow conditions
donzo112 wrote:
little tiger, Like you I also believe that what goes around comes around. There are least eight able bodied skiers going and some of the party have not skied before including me. I for one will be seeking tuition from inverno estate and will be encouraging the rest of my friends to do the same. Very Happy

Double YAY Very Happy

Say hi to Dario, Christiano, and Lorenzo for me.... you had better hold back on the big hugs(I'll give them in person!)
latest report
donzo112,

or anyone else...

Did we hear how they went???
ski holidays
little tiger, the above post by donzo112, was their last post so suspect they are probably not regular visitors to snowHead Might be worth sending a PM as it would be good to hear how it all went.
ski holidays
kevinrhead,

i find that tricky on this forum as when i click on someones name they just get copied to this reply window... and it is so hard to wander through the member list to find them...
ski holidays
little tiger, all you need to do is type "donzo112" into the user name window when you type your message. But I agree, it's a pain trying to look up user names when it gives you an option to go to pages "1,2,3,4,5,6.........286" or whatever. There should be a box where you can type in say "150" to get you near the middle of the alphabet, or at least be able to enter first letter of user name! Something for the SUGGESTIONS page?
I also get a bit peeved on forums when people seek help, people bend over backwards to help them, and then they don't give any feedback......
snow conditions
petemillis,

yeah 'tis a bit annoying...

a "we had a good time" or "it was crap don't send anyone else" would have been polite...

That is life though... some folks just are not that way inclined (one of my mothers friends puts it all down to "breeding" she swears too many folks are just poorly raised these days)
ski holidays
If you have contributed to snowHeads, you can click the title under a person's name and that gets you to the PM. Alternatively, simply type it into the PM "To:" field.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy