Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen and ski wages

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting report on the number of foreigners in low paid jobs in this resort.

http://www.kxmb.com/getARticle.asp?ArticleId=41278

I assume they get free accommodation as well. If so I am not sure the rates are that bad - for a holiday job.

I am not sure either that the comparison to outsourcing holds good, though fair comment about the adoption of other trendy PC issues.

It sounds as though there are probably more foreign employees in North American ski resorts than in Europe. I cannot say I noticed this on my trips - apart from the Antipodean lift attendants.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo, it's like much of the US (and is happening in the UK too) - the service industry is one which many locals will not go into - they want more money, or won't do the jobs for other reasons, so migrant workers fill the spaces.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo wrote:
I assume they get free accommodation as well. If so I am not sure the rates are that bad - for a holiday job.

...a Goldsmithesque assumption there!

Quote:
when you pay $9.25 an hour to folks to live in a town where they cannot afford to rent an apartment, the only takers you get are immigrants.

(last paragraph of the article)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo, I belive the same will happen here, rental prices rise and the Ski Bums move out, leaves the town without Kudos and the ambience will suffer. (It's love/hate with the Ski Bums)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Latchigo wrote:

...a Goldsmithesque assumption there!

Quote:
when you pay $9.25 an hour to folks to live in a town where they cannot afford to rent an apartment, the only takers you get are immigrants.

(last paragraph of the article)

Key phrase was 'they cannot afford to rent'. I also guessed that holiday makers would be in competition for any cheap accommodation and could outbid low paid workers. That was the basis of my assumption.

I may have been in 'Goldsmithesque' mode, or 'Goldsmithian' mode, because I had just done a trawl on Google for 'ski news' as suggested elsewhere. This seemed to produce an awful lot of 'gay ski' weeks. This may be of interest to jb1970.

DG did not just copy everything that cropped on Google and he mostly added his own take on things too. So it is not as easy as it may sound and it is certainly time consuming in my view.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have just come back from New Zealand and it is full of Europeans working for peanuts, the local workers get paid higher wages because they want to retain them, however most guys looking for a job for a few weeks only want a few pennies to help with their keep, its part of the fun of being a ski bum Smile i was many years ago and got paid rubish but enjoyed every minute of it
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suppose there are plenty of foreign workers in European ski resorts but they do not conspicuously overwhelm the place by their presence. I am not sure if they do in Aspen as I have not been there.

One other gripe in the article is that cheap wages in Walmart also benefit the consumer as prices are low. In Aspen the bottom line is the beneficiary.

I suppose Aspen skiing is a finite resource. 'Pile em high, sell em cheap' does not apply. In any case, if you have sufficient customers at top dollar you have no reason to cut your prices. Workers are not in the job long enough to have real grievances about the wages. A strike in Canadian resort last year shows it is not impossible for them to organize themselves though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Aspen Skiing Comapny empoys hundreds of people from South America (Mainly Peru,Argentina) They employ a few Euro's & Antipdeans & Ameican Students to make up the numbers.

Employee housing is a mjor issue and has been for 20 years+ .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keystone was almost totally hispanic migrant workers last time I went & not doing holiday jobs either. Vail resorts as a whole employs lots of overseas workers, sponsoring them for visas.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Few years ago I was skiing in Las Lenas (Argentina) & I was talking to an Amercan couple from Steamboat Springs . They worked for the Skiing company at Steamboat & openly admitted that they were also talking to Las Lenas Staff asking if they wanted to come to the US for the winter season Very Happy The Skiing company takes care of all the Visas etc.

In fact last season the snow was so good in Sun Valley that they extended the season a couple of weeks with fewer lifts operating. One reason cited was that the employees were on fixed working Visa's which cannot be extended without alot of paperwork.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

suppose there are plenty of foreign workers in European ski resorts but they do not conspicuously overwhelm the place by their presence

Puzzled
Have you been to the Tarentaise recently?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

suppose there are plenty of foreign workers in European ski resorts but they do not conspicuously overwhelm the place by their presence

Puzzled

You saying it's worse than Dordognshire?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled

It depends on what you mean by overwhelm, but what proportion of the winter population in somewhere like Courchevel or Val d'Isere do you think will be seasonal workers from outside France? By definition there are going to be many more paying customers than staff, no matter where those staff normally live.

I've skied lots of times in the Tarantaise over the last 15 years, and I've never once felt I've been in a resort which was overwheled by seasonnaires. There are a few bars where lots of resort workers entertain themesleves, but you can easily avoid those places if you want to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, Those are my feelings about being 'overwhelmed' too.

stanton,fatbob, So do the visa workers get free accomodation in Aspen and Vail resorts ?

'Holiday' jobs for some might be real work for others, but I am not aware that US ski resorts keep most employees on once the season ends.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo wrote:
stanton,fatbob, So do the visa workers get free accomodation in Aspen and Vail resorts ?

No.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Any ideas what they do for accommodation then ? For example where they live , how much it costs .
ski holidays
Latchigo, there are blocks which are almost like halls of residence at uni. Normally several sharing each apartment. They won't be in the holdiay makers side of town. The other option is that they live in surrounding areas and get bussed in each day.
snow conditions
Latchigo,

Most of the afluent ski bums who arrive in Aspen normally stay at one of the two Hotels that have have Hostel Bunk beds, this is untill there money runs out . At over $30 a day money runs out fast. Many of the afflunet ski bums (Euros'Ozzys) want to be near/in town but find out this is not an option and many have to leave when they find out they have to stay in Glenwood Springs 40 miles away.

Some skibums get together and rent a house out of town (maybe 10-15miles away) but there comes a problem when one of the group gets fired a replecement is needed quick to make up the difference for rent. If the rent is not kept up (in advance) everyone gets kicked out.

As Wear The Fox Hat says .

The Hispanics generally do not ski there just there for the money. They are bussed in from miles away.

This is one place (I stayed at many many years ago when it was about $8 aday !

http://www.stmoritzlodge.com/docs/Rates_06-07.pdf
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy