Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CairnGorm Mountain - FCS Ownership Consultation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Forestry Commission Scotland have released a consultation document on the proposed transfer of the Cairngorm Estate including CairnGorm and the ski area infrastructure from HIE to themselves. The full document can be read at:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/CairngormEstateTransferConsultationDoc.pdf/$FILE/CairngormEstateTransferConsultationDoc.pdf

To the dismay of regulars para 67 states:

Quote:

As part of the transfer it is proposed that a short term Environmental Improvement Programme be considered to improve the estate. Subject to planning this would include;

The removal of redundant skiing infrastructure:

• Chairlift No 10 -Coire-na-Ciste
• Chairlift No 11 - West Wall
• Ski Tow No 5 -Fieciell T-bar
• Ski Tow No 12 -Aonach Poma
• Foundations of former Ski Tow No 16

• Demolition and removal of the former ticket office and toilets at the Coire na Ciste car-park, and

• The scaling down of roading above the Coire Cas car park.

This will leave the West Wall Poma isolated and remote from the ski area and facilities, and leave no shelter or even toilets at the Ciste Carpark. There is a genuine fear amongst season ticket holders that the situation will become an excuse to not operate the West Wall Poma on grounds of logistics and/or saftey, and subsquently to the argument that it's actual days of operation doesn't justify its upkeep.

With removal of the Link Lift, the chairs being effectively defunct means that the majority of expert terrain on the mountain is no longer truly lift served, only Over Yonder and the West Wall Chair Run actually terminate at the Poma, the Ciste Gully, West Wall proper, and the East Wall all run out to the board walks at the mid-station of the chairlift and below the Poma.

Since 2000 catering facilities on the mountain have been reduced from 6 to effectively 1 1/2. It's a complete and utter joke at busy times, only serving to further drive down demand, which of course is the companies objective, of managed decline to bring demand down inline with capacity of their crazy core lift policy.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Winterhighland, agree 100%, this is an extremely sad development Sad

However, not totally a done deal. The consultation seeks answers to these questions ....

Quote:

Questions

Do you agree with the proposed transfer of the HIE Estate on
Cairngorm to the Scottish Executive Ministers with management by
Forestry Commission Scotland?
Do you agree with the proposed structure for future governance on
Cairngorm Estate?
If not, who do you think should have responsibility for day to day
decision making on Cairngorm Estate (see paragraphs 53-56) and why?
If not, who/what bodies should share the responsibility of advising
managers of Cairngorm Estate (see paragraphs 58-59) and why?
Do you agree with the short-term environmental improvements
proposed in paragraph 67?

What sort of improvements would you like to see brought about on the
integration of Cairngorm and Glenmore Estates?

For anyone who cares about the future of skiing at Caingorm, please mail a response to these questions (paying particular attention to number 5) to:

cairngorm@forestry.gsi.gov.uk
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Fwiw, my anwers:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. Definitely not. The absence of the Coire na Ciste and West Wall chairlifts has been a major retrograde step to Cairngorm skiing. The Coire na Ciste ticket office and chairs allowed experienced skiers to access the mountain from that side, relieving pressure on the facilities in Coire Cas at busy times. Further up the mountain, the entire Ciste side of the mountain now relies soley on the West Wall poma, an unreliable lift and obvious bottleneck. Moreover, the poma does not reach the bottom of the Gully, West Wall and East Wall runs.

Excellent conditions in March saw a huge influx of weekend skiers to Cairngorm, showing the existence of a potentially large market. Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence suggests that the queues they faced on the mountain put a large number off from returning during the excellent late season conditions Cairngorm enjoyed. Diminishing capacity is inexorably diminishing the ski area.

- Investigation into modern artificial snowmaking systems which have the potential to greatly increase the viability of the ski area.
- A summit ski tow in the Marquis' well area.
- Lift served downhill mountain bike tracks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
this is very sad - hopefully it won't happen. I shall read the document and send the email as soon as I have half a moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is my reply to the relevant questions:

5. Do you agree with the short-term environmental improvements proposed in paragraph 67?

No – see raesoning outlined below:
The removal of the lifts suggested in the Ciste area of the Ski Area without their replacement would in my opinion be a mistake. The Ciste Gulley area provides the best (only) lift serviced terrain for advanced skiers. Removal without replacement would leave the area served only by the West Wall Poma. If this breaks down (as happened last season) access to the Ciste Gulley, Gulleys 1 and 2, West Wall, Aonach bowl, Ryvoan run etc. all terrain for advances skiers becomes impossible except for those on touring kit or willing to walk! Even use of the M2 run becomes difficult on busy days or if the Daylodge run is incomplete. At a minimum the chairs should be refurbished or replaced. In addition when we get good snow, particularly if it occurs earlier in the season the WW poma alone will be unable to cope with skier numbers as I have found personally in previous seasons. Note that the casual skier is less willing to put up with queues than they were in the past as was shown by the complaints last season on the first weekend of heavy snow when the Glenmore gates had to be closed due to visitor numbers.

6. What sort of improvements would you like to see brought about on the integration of Cairngorm and Glenmore Estates?

I would like to see the following improvements to the ski area

1) Snow making for the ski area. In recent years the temperature has often been cold enough for lying snow and skiing, but due to winter drought there has been a lack of snow fall and skiing has not been possible. For example last year the Lecht (the lowest resort) was able to run its trainer tows for most of December and January due to its limited snowmaking system whilst CML was unable to run its tows for most of the period.

Addition of a modern automated snowmaking system would likely guarantee many more skiable days. CML in all likelihood would get a better turnout of skiers once the public became aware of the increased reliability of snow afforded by a snowmaking system. Note an examination should be made of the use of snowmaking in the Australian resorts that have similar problems to the Scottish resorts.

2) Lifts/chairs in the Ciste area refurbished/replaced not removed

3) Summit tow up Marquis’ Well to just below the summit (to avoid skylining). This tow would add as much extra vertical as the whole of the lecht, would increase the reliability of skiable snow and would add skiable days to the start and end of the season. Personal experience of touring in the area suggests a lift and runs could be added with the need for a minimal amount of additional snow fencing.

4) Use of a portable tow to service a terrain park for snowboarders etc. The use of a portable tow would allow the terrain park to be set up wherever adequate depth of snow was available and with good marketing could be used to attract additional customers. Also late season a terrain park could be used to attract extra snow sport customers when the majority of the rest of the runs were coming to an end.

Other possible improvements/changes
A) Changes to the VMP
1) It as always struck me as stupid that you can’t buy a down only ticket on the funicular (this is due to change?). It also seems daft that you can’t go to the summit in summer from the funicular. I can see why you don’t want increased traffic on the sensitive plateau area (though I doubt many of the people who now use the funicular would go far even if allowed). However I see no reason why a ranger led walk from the Ptarmigan to the summit could not be held (for a fee?) as the summit path is heavily engineered and the extra traffic would cause little or no damage.
2) Use of the funicular for ski touring. I can see no reason why this shouldn’t promoted and when snow conditions are poor at low level would reduce environmental damage as traffic would be confined to the higher areas with better snow coverage.
3) An early morning funicular for climbers as is done with the gondola at nevis. This is unlikely to increase traffic, as the climbers are going anyway and will bring in extra income for CML from a group who already use the base facilities and car park, but may contribute only minimally towards them financially.
4) Possibility of combining the funicular with the use of the traverse/105/zig zags/home road as a downhill mountain bike track. These are already used as an access road to the Ptarmigan and use by mountain bikes is not going to increase damage and will bring in an additional user group to the area.

B) Additional provision for mountain biking in the area. More single track routes from Glenmore further into the Cairngorm estate

C) Increased provision for cross country (track) skiing. Possibilty of pisting and cutting tracks at a higher level within the ski area during the winter if thre is insufficient snow at forest level.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Responded - wont bore you with it, but if the reputation of Cairngorm is diminished by publicity regarding loss of lifts then with it goes the reputation of Scottish skiing in general, with adverse effects on the other 4 areas and their local economies.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T-Dub,

Quote:

Responded - wont bore you with it,

Why not? I'm interested in what others think and I'm sure there are others on here who visit CML who would be too. I'll also say I'm an interested party as I'm a season ticket holder whose all ready bought his season ticket for this coming season. What I don't want to see happen is lift served skiing in the Ciste area of the resort disappear as that is some of the best skiing. My worry is that once the chairs are removed it will be harder to get permission to replace them if money becomes available in the future.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought I would bump this as the local paper seems to be getting behind the campaign to keep the lifts on the hill. If anyone would like to vote on the poll the link is below.
http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/411/Outcry_over_ski_uplift_removal_plan.html
Also the email address at the top of this post is still active if you would like to voice your concerns that they are closing half the mountain or to anyone who may like to ski at cairngorm at any time in the future Toofy Grin
cairngorm@forestry.gsi.gov.uk
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right, that's me done the Forestry Commission survey thing and sent it to them.

I'm late onto this because I've been away for the last few weeks but I'm gonna do all I can now.

It's worth pointing out that in addition to the PDF there's a downloadable Word version that you can fill in and e-mail to them which can be found here but the deadline for filling it in is Wednesday the 15th of November 2006.

I've just remembered I know someone who is 'close' to the company, said person was already well p*ssed off with what's happened since the funicular was built (closed lift system etc.) and has a lot of contacts in the area. So I'll make a call tomorrow, speak to this person and get the word spread further - hopefully CML is gonna feel the heat over this one and deservedly so!!!! Mad

I jolly well hope they're reading the comments here and elsewhere too!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bump

cmon guys get behind British snow sports and lets ensure we have skiing facilities to be proud of.

Send emails complaining about the proposed managed decline of the Cairngorm advanced and expert terrain.

You really can make a difference.

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pfairbrother, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy