Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotels between Calais/Boulogne & Reims

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any good suggestions for 1 night stopover hotels somewhere between Calais/Boulogne & Reims? We're looking for somewhere so we can get the ferry over late afternoon, drive for an hour or 2 then stop a night and be on our way to the snow early next morning. We don't want to spend a fortune but at the same time don't want to spend the night worrying if the car will still be there when we wake up. Any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All the budget hotels (Villages Hotel and B&B ) we have stayed in recently have gated car parks. There are definitely B&B hotels in St Quentin and Reims.

http://www.hotel-bb.com/
http://www.villages-hotel.fr
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you don't mind cheap and cheerful, we tend to use Formule1 hotels. If you pre-book online, and arrive late after reception is closed, there is an automated system to let yourself in. There are lots to choose from. Check out their website www.hotelformule1.com. We treat these merely as a convenient place to get our heads down overnight. They have security gates so vehicles can't get in or out without a room code, which you get when you check in, but they do have open pedestrian access. If you're looking for somewhere with some ambience though, look elsewhere Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We use the hotel-bb in St Quentin every year. Fairly easy to find only 5 mins from autoroute. From memory about 115 miles from Calais. also has security gates and automated system.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry duplicate

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 12-09-06 10:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you pre-book online, and arrive late after reception is closed, there is an automated system to let yourself in.

If they have rooms you can get yourself in with a credit card any time, you don't have to have pre-booked. I can't predict when I am going to want to stop driving, and you can't plan for weather conditions (especially thick fog, when it is madness to stay on the road) so we don't book. We have very occasionally had to trawl around a few hotels but we don't travel at peak times and have never failed to find a bed - there are usually lots of hotels if you turn off the autoroute into any sizeable town, with plentiful signs to one of the big range of cheap French hotels. They are usually in ghastly shopping or light industrial deserted suburbs with nowhere to eat - we generally eat on the autoroute on our penultimate stop, then stop and turn in around 9 - 10pm. At busy times though it's best to book, especially with a family, but you lose flexibility. If you want to eat at your destination hotel you need to go further upmarket than Formule 1 (unless you want a Mars Bar from a slot machine) and to stop quite early, given French eating-hours. We often stay Formule 1, but be aware you don't have your own bathroom, though facilities are adequate and clean. Sometimes it's nice to have a more leisurely stop - we were forced by fog off the road into Dijon at 4 pm one day, and found an old hotel in the centre, and went out for a super meal. But generally we can wait for the mountains for the ambiance, and like to get there as quickly and cheaply as possible.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for Hotel B&B, I always stay with them but generally a little bit further on in Troyes. About 38 euros I think for a room for 2 and there is a cote a cote restaurant just over the road.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blizt, I usually book a hotel using www.logis-de-france.com . They all ususally have a restaurant. Have used a couple near Epernay, and one in Reims near the railwya station, only 5 minutes from the autoroute. (this one had no restaurant, but directed us to a beautiful Italian one). We need to make sure the dog is welcome so always book in advance. I couldn't stay in a room without a bathroom.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
'nother vote for Formule 1. Although, having had our car broken into once, we tend to empty it anyway. The next step up the Accor chain of hotels, ETAP, often have lifts - making the emptying process a bit easier snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, whereabouts was your break-in and what security measures did they have. When we stayted at a Villages in Lille, there was a security guard but then the area didn't look so great. We typically turn up at a hotel after midnight and the prospect of unloading all our stuff as well as getting 3 kids inside is not good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These are good for quick pop-in/kip/pop-out self-drive stops:

http://www.premiereclasse.fr/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blizt, try Ibis at CHALONS SUR MARNE, 20 minutes or so past Reims just off the main route heading towards Dijon. I have stayed there before and it is in a quiet area with secure parking so no worries about leaving stuff in the car. Usual prices for Ibis are around the €50 for a room http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/0699/fiche_hotel.shtml
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As we have a longer journey, we try and space it over 2 days, and usually stop early enough in the evening for a decent meal. I know the autoroute restaurants are a bit better than they used to be, but eating my main meal of the day in one doesn't really appeal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Helen Beaumont on this one....Logis de France are well worth a look, we've stayed in a few in various places and they're usually pretty good. Otherwise ETAP, IBIS or Campanille are all pretty good options.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

whereabouts was your break-in and what security measures did they have

It was in Evry south of Paris, the hotel had a security gate which was broken - but the hotel video showed the culprits climbing over the fence anyway. We (like you) arrived late and were tired. Our car (a Fiesta) stood out because it was the only non-French car in the car park.

This was on the way out. It took a day to sort out the broken car window, and another day to sort out our gear. Fortunately we didn't loose skis or boots. The thieves broke in by smashing a window, opening the door and then undid folding back seat to access the boot.

Check you insurance policy - some will allow sports equipment (whatever that means) to be left overnight in the car.

We now empty the boot and leave the luggage cover open so anyone can see that the car is empty. We normally don't bother with emptying the roof boxes, as no-one has ever managed to break in !
ski holidays
Logis de France are good, have recently used this http://www.francehotelreservation.com/en/index.html

We stay in Hodel du Golf in Calais, ok doesn't give your hour drive but is close to port/tunnel and does the job
snow report
Had a very bad experience with francehotelreservation.com a few years ago....booked and paid for hotel up front, arrived in town, hotel closed for renovation! Luckily, despite it being late the Tourist office was still open and they found us a room but we had to pay up again and it took months, including getting the credit card on the case, to get our money back! It was a while ago so maybe they're up to speed now but I wouldn't use them again!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy