Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
The annual ski school trip Toofy Grin
My daughter is off on her first one in February to Courmayer. Anyone have any comments to pass on.
She is travelling with Interski by coach.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What year is she in?

Gregory's dying to go on his school's one but they don't seem too enthusiastic to take year7's.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, you could mention to her that most teachers will be aware of the Vodka in the lemonade bottle trick and that she should try to think of a better place to hide it Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, also if they're being bunked in single sex dorms it's not a good idea being busted by the teachers in the wrong one Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Illicit booze in usually discovered and donated to the hotel staff. So could they please not buy disgusting sticky fruit liqueurs - vodka, gin and possibly tequila will do nicely, thank you. And we don't need any more copies of Heat either.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, don't know about Interski but spent 2 weeks in Courmayer about 10 years ago and had a fantastic time and its such a pretty resort.Lizzard, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend's son worked with Interski last season - enjoyed it, thought it was a good operation, worked extremely hard and got a lot out of it. Your daughter should learn some basic Italian, if she hasn't already (the BBC beginners one is the best I found). It's really easy to learn a smattering which will enable her to have loads of fun in bars with Italians ....who will hugely appreciate her efforts and probably buy her lots of drinks. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:

It's really easy to learn a smattering which will enable her to have loads of fun in bars with Italians ....who will hugely appreciate her efforts and probably buy her lots of drinks.

Pam, Noooo! she's only 14 Shocked

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 14-09-06 21:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:
What year is she in?

Gregory's dying to go on his school's one but they don't seem too enthusiastic to take year7's.

Year 9 and they can go again in year 10 (If we stump up £600+ !)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, Your not working for Interski this coming season are you? Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A small pillow/cushion for the coach makes sleeping a lot more confortable. Assuming they get any sleep.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Her ipod for the coach journey perhaps?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my experience of working with school groups, all the kids have a great time. It's the teachers who are mardy, irresponsible and grumpy. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, never worked for Interski, though I've heard plenty of good things about them. My mate's son is their head instructor, I believe.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
School Ski trips were my entry to skiing

Jan 1992 Crest Voland
Jan 1993 Les Carroz/ Flaine
Jan 1995 Morzine

All fantastic trips.
ski holidays
johnboy, ooh, nostalgia. I managed the Bartavelles in Crest Voland briefly a couple of summers ago.
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
School Ski trips were my entry to skiing

Mine too (and a lot of other things Wink). First school trip to Andalo in the Dolomites in 1979 - completely hooked from day 1. Just the whole thing of being away from my parents for the first time, srurrounded by lots of mates, and unusually being a quicker learner than most of the kids with me was such an intoxicating package. It's been an expensive habit to feed ever since...
latest report
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, £600+ for a coach trip !
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I've taught skool groups in Cormayeur Shocked . It's a very well run operation. snowHead

If the school hasn't (and assuming she's a beginner) then lessons at the dryslope really really really help. snowHead

Pillow, ear plugs good for the journey. snowHead

Money for a present/tip for the instructor wink
ski holidays
My 12 year old daughter came home a few months back with a letter about her school ski trip, she was quite keen and a couple of her mates had also expressed interest. It was to take place at February Half Term.

My initial thought was that she could go and we would delay our family trip until Easter.

Then I read the letter. They are going to Quebec and the cost is £1,200.

I quietly explained to my Daughter that there is no way at all that we can afford that, when I pointed out that the whole family are having a week in Turkey in October for less than that she agreed.

Utterly outrageous, teachers using parents to get themselves a free trip.

And they had the cheek to include the line "This will be a perfect opportunity for your daughter to improve her French in a completely French speaking environment" Don't they speak French in France any more then ?

rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
bladeskier wrote:
Utterly outrageous, teachers using parents to get themselves a free trip.

Please please tell me that you are joking with that statement. If you for one minute think that taking kids on a ski trip is anything other than 24/7 work, then I suggest you try running one.

One teacher on the trip I was on at last year, managed a total ski time of 20 mins in the whole week.
latest report
Elizabeth B, I fully understand and agree that the responsibility of taking a group of kids away on a ski trip is huge, something I would never, ever want to entertain.

That line detracted from my original point, which was why take a group of girls from an average state school, based in the middle of Kent, to Quebec for £1200 when you can take them to Europe for less than half the cost. The price of the trip must have alienated at least 80% of the girls at my daughter's school.

You'll be telling me next that teachers spend their 13 weeks a year holidays marking books and preparing course work for the next term wink wink wink And yes, that was a joke !
snow conditions
bladeskier, but I think that your other point still stands - the kids pay for the teachers - whether or not the teachers get to ski.
ski holidays
bladeskier, I'd agree that Europe is a far better option than Quebec for a school trip...when price is an issue.

Ray Zorro, of course kids (or rather, parents) pay for the teachers. Someone has to be responsible for their conduct and welfare....and if the kids don't pay for it, then the trip doesn't happen (unfortunately).
snow report
Lizzard,

Who runs the hotel these days? Mrs JB also had her first trip to C V in 2001.
ski holidays
Quote:

when price is an issue.

isn't it always ? Puzzled

Even if mum and dad have got that sort of cash lying around, the children aren't going to learn anything about cost/value if they just stump up and send them on the trip. There is no way that any of the children round my way are anything approaching deprived, but most of them have to show commitment if they want to go on a school skiing trip and put up some of the dosh - by babysitting, delivering papers, working in a shop etc.
snow conditions
We're heading to Canada this New Year and taking the eleven year old.

We have to go at either this time or Easter as the Scottish schools only get two days off in February.

It's costing us £1000 for the eleven year old. This does include the flight, accomodation, ski hire and lessons,

but

does not include any food, other trips.

The locals schools here do run the ski trip for just over £1000 for a week. But this includes EVERYTHING. All lessons, meals, equipment and a very active apres ski program.
The weather is far better guaranteed than in Europe and the lack of a language difference makes a huge difference when learning.

I know the school trips are expensive and not all parents either can afford - or want to spend that amount of money.

Our child has been told that if she wants to go on the ski trip when it gets to her turn, then she will have to contribute to the cost - and she won't be coming with us that year. (We'll be having an adult only trip) !
snow report
school ski trips have the added value of them all going away with their friends.. the amount of sking they get done and what they learn will be far less than a trip with the parents and lessons..
If your kids ski with you and you fly, i'd give them 2 trips max before the long coach journey back takes its toll and they decide sking with mum n dad is more fun..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i've got to say that i really enjoyed my school skiing trips Very Happy

Pamporavo in 82 which I believe is now called year 7 ( 12 year old ) scary thought thinking that it was eastern block although i dont think the lifts have changed. Even went to the dollar shop and bought 6 cans of heinekin , who says things are worse now Toofy Grin

Voss in 1986 and 1987 great and my skiing improved loads , had to take a trip to the town hotels to get a drink their and we could only manage 1 pint as it was about £7. Mind I did get a kiss with a girl from another school Embarassed

Now my two girls aged 5 and 8 went at ADH last year , skied with them morning and afternoon , they had a private lesson at lunch time which cost the same as ski school . It was the best familly holiday we have ever had and we only payed £650 for all of us self catering.

We enjoyed it that much i have booked up for January today Very Happy

However there is no way i'll want my kids to go on a trip , i'll worry to much and as they can ski i'll worry they'll show off Shocked

remember i'm a dad and i know what boys are like wink
ski holidays
Mouth wrote:
Her ipod for the coach journey perhaps?

Thanks, she doesn't need encouragement to upgrade her 1 gig MP3 player to a proper iPod rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
There were very few kids on my school ski trip that had skiied before so they all went off in a group together with the teachers each day, not much fun for them knowing the rest of us were teacher-free for 4 hours a day.
ski holidays
Curtains, let go man, let go. You'll probably feel different when their older.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I have worked for Interski, well run operation. I echo the points about coach trip, pillow, ipod and loads of food. It is amazing how much food kids can consume on an overnight coach trip. wink

I blame my school for my ski addiction, had my first 3 ski trips with my secondary school, great memories. Little Angel
ski holidays
I went to Bulgaria with my school for my first ski holiday. Upon reflection the equipment was poor, the food as per school lunch, the booze cheap. But it hooked me!
snow conditions
johnboy, they no longer have the Baskervilles, following a big restructuring exercise a few seasons ago. It was sold, and I believe it was planned to convert it into apartments. Pity, I was rather fond of it!
ski holidays
bladeskier, I was told last year of a school trip going to Vermont! The reason apparently was it is harder for the kids to get hold of alcohol in the States than in France, so easier for the teachers to police!
snow conditions
Quote:

harder for the kids to get hold of alcohol in the States than in France, so easier for the teachers to police

maybe they should go to Norway, where they wouldn't be able to afford enough to do a lot of damage!
snow conditions
I went skiing 4 times with my school, twice to alpes d'heuz an twice to italy. Skiing with the school was always real good fun, nice to have loads of mates with ya so you can all laugh at each other when you fall! I went on a coach the first time i went to aples d'heuz and the coach driver went the wrong way!!! took us 22 hours in the end, it was a painful trip in a little seat like that!
snow report
Things your kids WILL do on a school trip:

- get their paws on booze. But most of it will end up in the hotel's staff accommodation, and in nearly 10 years of looking after school parties I've only ever seen one dangerously drunk child, so I wouldn't worry too much.
- buy fireworks. These will also end up in staff accommodation, and add spice to our end-of-season parties.
- stuff all the bogroll down the toilet. I have no idea why - it doesn't seem to me to offer much entertainment value.
- eat lots of unsuitable junk food.
- refuse to eat any vegetables. (See above.) But don't worry about that either - chefs save all the leftover veg and bung it in the lunchtime soup, so your child will get at least one vitamin a day.
- stuff all their bread and half their dinner in the water jugs/glasses. I have no idea why they do this either.
- develop a crush on a member of the company's staff (applies to both boys and girls). Usually the same member of staff every week, much to his/her embarrassment. Entertains the rest of us though.
- attempt to get off with each other/my staff/members of the sixth form group sharing the hotel (applies to over-14s only). Well, didn't you? Come on, 'fess up. But don't worry - their teachers are just as wise to this as as the rest of us and they rarely get anywhere.
- have fun. Most of them seem to have a whale of a time, and get as much out of the non-skiing aspects of the trip as they do from the skiing itself. If not more, in fact - it's much more than just a week's skiing.
snow conditions
Amazing how many people got to go skiing with their school! Ours used to run a 6th form ski trip when I was in the 1st adn 2nd year, then they stopped it. And resumed it 2 years after I left grrrr Evil or Very Mad Although I guess my folks were probably pleased about that as they would never have been able to afford it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy