Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I too old for lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Michael,

Various points. Firstly I am the same age as you, so I hope that I have a somewhat similar perspective.

I regularly take lessons, because you can always improve, not least to go into powder and bumps when the opportunity arises. The ability to do it, if you need to or want to, on any given occasion is a plus for me....or to put it another way the ability not to have to avoid them is worth having.

I started skiing late, at 40. At that time my kids (then between 7 and 12) had all been dry slope skiing for some years. I took it up (as did my wife) so we could all go off to the snow for a family holiday. Needless to say the "kids" (now adult) are still way better than me, but the lessons have helped me to keep some sort of pace with them ( they, like yours, gave up on ski school but it didnt seem to hold back their development !!). Without lessons I would be nowhere near their level.

As regards who to ski with, this can be an issue but you can work round it...there will always be some powder or bumps that you can find without distancing yourself from those who want to stick to the groomed.

Like some others above I have done clinics (in Europe and Canada) and I have not been disappointed on any of them, as regards the tuition or the group as skiing companions
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michael B, I took up skiing 5 years ago at the age of 55 after break of 28 years. The only three things i would say is try and keep fit, have private lessons and dont hit the apri-ski to hard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whilst I agree with the tone of the comments above (I am nearly 60, and enjoy ski lessons, and hope to keep improving) I have another suggestion to make. Learn to snowboard. Because of the nature of our ski-ing life I spend a lot of time on easy pistes which I know like the back of my hand with people who ski less well than I do - it's not that I'm particularly great, just that friends our age tend to have given up lessons AND to be very unfit/stiff. I don't mind a certain amount of this, there are lots of great exercises to do on easy pistes (e.g. one legged ski-ing, a demanding skill I have yet to master). But to make a change I decided to learn to snowboard. At this age you learn slowly (and need to be supple enough not to be bothered about constant falling) so that even a half day on the easiest blues is quite enough for me, thanks very much. It's good to learn something completely new (very good for those brain cells.....) and useful to remember what it is like to be scared witless at the top of what your companions assure you is "an easy red, honestly". Let someone else be the fast guy out in front having to wait for you to catch up! It'll give your wife a laugh too. I recommend the "learn to snowboard in a day" course at Milton Keynes to decide whether it's something you want to do. At 51 you're not too old for anything... and snowboarding is a lot safer than being a born-again biker.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never too old for lessons. The word is merely a shortening of the phrase "less onerous".
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

does there come a time when enough is enough? Do some of our more "expert" skiers still take lessons or are they happy enough with what they know and can do?

Ask yourself the question - Why do competing skiers film themselves then analyse the film in slow motion with their coach - answer to improve their technique further.

Once you get to the stage you can ski faster than the 'Hermanator' then you can start to consider not improving. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Michael B wrote:
No! No! No! You've all got it wrong. I'd go into ski school tomorrow if I could (see comment re Mrs B). I really enjoyed it and I met people that we skied with in the pm etc etc. However I'm at the age and ability where I can go most places and enjoy myself. As I only go 1 or 2 weeks max should I just stick with that or should I be constantly striving to improve? Jake, said that mileage helps and I do a lot of mileage (at least my knees say I do) I always try to improve my technique but should I try to do things I really could live without?
I've already been convinced to take a lesson by the comments above but does there come a time when enough is enough? Do some of our more "expert" skiers still take lessons or are they happy enough with what they know and can do?

you are the only one who can answer that!

I am determined to improve from my low base-line - If you read stuff like WTFH feedback then I suspect you can as well.

The rest is a question of personal drive .... unless you are Bode Miller in disguise ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michael B wrote:
At 51 I know I'm not going to make any huge inprovements to my skiing even if I manage to up the number of weeks that I go...

The person that I've met skiing who I most admire is an instructor in Whistler who learnt to ski when he was 60 and is now a ski instructor. He was 76, I think, when I met him three years ago and sponsored by Rossignol.

The thing that struck me about this guy was the life in him. My simple, humble skiing objective is to be skiing into my 70s.

And to do that one needs good technique.

Ignoring the bumps and powder issue, if I were your age then I'd have lessons simply because an ounce of technique makes up for a whole lorry load of physical effort. So, I'd do it to keep me skiing longer.

A friend of mine, a little older than you, had lessons last season for the first time in years (and, I think, to stop my nagging). Even though he had good(ish) technique, he hadn't realised that he wasn't using his skis to his best advantage. Having not had lessons for 7 or so years, the shaped ski and carving revolution had passed him by. So even though he had 2 year old skis, he was still skiing as if he were on his old 190cm Dynastars. Some simple stuff has transformed his skiing and allowed him to put less effort into it.

So I'd say try it - you've nothing to lose except a few quid. Oh, and your dignity. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Michael B, Sorry I've been MIA recently...... Of course you should seek to improve. The ;better (technically) you ski, the less effort it is, the longer you can enjoy skiing. It is that simple. However you talk about ski school as though it was the only option. It sounds as though you're talking about big classes and the rest of your family didn't enjoy it. Have you thought of private or family lessons? They might enjoy that more. Anyway age is hardly a factor, ans, as you're 3 years younger than me I resent the idea that you might be too old!!! Shocked

I think my own skiing has improved a lot over the last 2 years BTW.

Helen Beaumont Your mum could come on my over 50's learn to ski week in March. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Started skiing at 49. Am 60 next year. I take lessons every year. In terms of SKI Club GB am silver standard on and off piste. (In phil smith's level ratings am level 5. I managed 3 days lessons with him) If you keep reasonably fit you will not have a problem but it does get more difficult to stay fit as you get older.. I Will continue to take lessons and improve technique as long as I am able. Only way I really enjoy skiing is when i have a challenge Madeye-Smiley .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The thing that struck me about this guy was the life in him. My simple, humble skiing objective is to be skiing into my 70s.

And to do that one needs good technique.

This is a very important point. I recall years ago seeing two elderly Austrian ladies, on the slopes in their best Sunday woollen coats, surrounded by Day-Glo skiers making a big song and dance about it all and spraying snow about. They just skied quietly and competently around, having a little chat, looking like they'd been doing it since they were 4 years old and would still be doing it into their '90s. They were a big inspiration to me. My less humble objective is to be skiing into my '80s. My seventies are just too close to be thinking about stopping! The better you are, the less effort it all is. But what about a go at snowboarding??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never too Old....Go for it mate. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unless you have been skiing since a child and ski like a pro then you can never not learn anything from having lessons.

Me and the wife tend to have lessons about every two years or alternate holidays.

It is also a good way to meet fellow skiers from different countries and you will all tend to be of similar ability
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
My less humble objective is to be skiing into my '80s.

Ok, that's it Pam - my objective is now to ski into my 90s. Double dare? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Learn to snowboard

Learn to Telemark !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton wrote:
pam w wrote:
My less humble objective is to be skiing into my '80s.

Ok, that's it Pam - my objective is now to ski into my 90s. Double dare? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Can anyone else join in on this? My own objective was also to ski into my 80s. Perhaps I should aim for my 90s too (presumably not steep couloirs and breakable crust any more!) Or since the double dare is 90s perhaps I have to say 100s.
snow report
I know an 85 year old who goes to Megeve every year and is determined to continue exploiting free lift passes for crumblies...
ski holidays
I'd like to live to my 70s
snow report
snowball, You would be the fittest bloke in the Alzheimers home.
snow conditions
Michael B, I havent read all this thread but there is usually some excellent powder over in Gra Roig - definitely go for it !
latest report
My aim is to ski like Frank at Frank's age....

Frank is 86(i think) and still racing masters
snow conditions
Smokin Joe, Saw the powder over there this year, 2006. Watched a group having lessons to deal with it. Was jealous. I hope the snow is that good next Jan.
latest report
No never too old to take Ski lessons as for family not liking lessons also is that in a ESF /ski school environment ? i.e quite a large class ? If so how about private tuition with a ski instructor just for your group ? Bit pricey but can sometimes benefit those who maybe feel self consious making mistakes /measuring there performance against strangers ??

Rgds

Richard
snow report
Michael B, Andorra has a really good snow record - its just not fashionable enough for some - the fact that you can stay half board in an excellent quality hotel for £500, have really good snow - no real queues apart from mad saturday................I love it !
latest report
Michael B, - 52 seems too young to be asking. Last year our ski guide at La Clusaz, 'Tomie' celebrated his 90th birthday. He took up skiing at 55 when he could no longer ride a horse in the horseguards. I've skied a few runs in my time and believe me he could get down the toughest, steepest and narrowest of them all.

This year he has given up running his chalet but not his skis. Something to look forward to - most of the French resorts have free lift passes for the over 70's. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Something to look forward to - most of the French resorts have free lift passes for the over 70's

I have a pessimistic theory that the age for free passes is going to rise inexorably and I won't ever reach it..... all these chaps wanting to ski into their 90s. OK PhillipStanton, into the 90s, let's go for it. My other ambition is to teach my grand daughter to snowboard. She's only 2, but I'm still a cr@p snowboarder, so maybe in 4 years her ability and mine will have reached a temporary plateau together - then she, of course, will overtake.
ski holidays
Pam - they did that at my resort... every year it went up one year (started at 60).... One of my friends went and told them off by the third year... said she had skied there all her life .. brought the kids and grandkids... and when she is just about to get the "old" pass they move it.... they gave her the pass....
(ours are not free you pay a $30 or so fee for the processing costs)
snow report
pam w, little tiger, I'm jusy hoping there is enough snow left by the time I get to 60. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Michael B

Can you describe what it is that you feel is keeping you back from progressing, or is it that you haven't tried powder and bumps yet? You don't say how many years you've been skiing.
Perhaps I could offer you some advice rather that just an opinion yes or no.

Andrew Day (SkiDay) Very Happy

www.skiday.co.uk
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michael B, I'm just a couple of years younger than you.

I think the point made above about learning how to use the new equipment effectively (e.g. carvers) is actually the most telling.
Until 2 yrs ago I was still skiing on carvers like they were 2m. long and straight sided. A couple of private lessons with my wife has transformed my use of skis.

I do try to take at least one private lesson every week that I ski, but the lessons that I had had (on carvers) prior to 2 yrs ago had not given me the "feel" of how to use them - so as soon as the lesson was over I was back to old-style parallels. The message of this is that 1 lesson may be enough... or not, depending on the instructor.
snow conditions
Nick L wrote:
A couple of private lessons with my wife has transformed my use of skis.

When's the video diary shown on Late-night Channel 5? Shocked Laughing

Michale B wrote:
At 51 I know I'm not going to make any huge inprovements to my skiing even if I manage to up the number of weeks that I go...

I'm about 4 years younger than you, and I HAVE made huge improvements in my skiing over the last 5 years. It has involved a fair bit of extra mileage and a few courses (SCGB and Snoworks). I was always more interested in off- than on-piste but didn't have the technique to do it - I now ski almost exclusively off-piste (when on snow). On piste has also improved hugely by regular coaching/practice at the local dry-slope (although bruises do take quite a long time to clear up), and took up slalom racing this year.

So if you want to, then go for it and you will improve. Only you can say whether you WANT to though.
ski holidays
GrahamN, Madeye-Smiley Blush rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy