Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Renting a 4 X 4 car

Poster: A snowHead
I'm travelling to Gerona next Feb to go skiing in Soldeu Andorra. I want to rent a car from the airport (we arrive 23,30) but I would have thought that I would need a 4 X 4 to go into the mountains with. Tried all the usual suspects like avis and hertz but only ones they do are of the suzuki jeep variety. Anybody else managed to get one....or do I even need a 4 X 4 do you think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Havent personally done the drive from Gerona to Soldeu by car but have driven to lots of resorts from other airports.

We always hire chains and have never had problems once we've got them on!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
badgerdot, I don't see why you would need a 4x4 (mind you, I've only done that particular trip a very long time ago, and in the summer). Chains and/or winter tyres are probably a good idea.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks guys i will try the chains idea....it will work out much cheaper anyway
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
badgerdot, Ditto everyone else. Make sure you get chains with the car. Pack gloves and a torch so you can fit them easily wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
badgerdot, I'd make sure you get winter tyres too if possible. We have had a Hyundai 4x4 from Geneva airport before (Alamo). If you decide you want a 4x4 it might be worth ringing around a few places first rather thn relying on the internet searches, as they often show a suzuki when that isn't what you get.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I drove a 9 seater mini bus up there from Barcelona, it's a good road all the way to soldeu,had snow chains but didn't need them even though it had been snowing for 3 days prior to us leaving. Would advise chains but you shouldn't need a 4x4.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and don't get a rear wheel drive - it's a complete pain in the snow. aj xx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajhainey, good one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We drive an ordinary front wheel drive, with snow tyres and occasionally with chains, and have got everywhere so far. But not all cars are equal. For what it is worth, a hired Ford Focus proved particularly good on the snow, some years ago, and we escaped without having to put snow chains on, on a pretty snowy drive from Geneva to Les Gets. My sister was driving and said that she would never have been able to get her Volvo up the road but the Focus felt very sure footed. Only a small minority of the cars around in ski resorts are 4 x 4 - people seem to manage fine!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about the legendary mini 4x4's, Fiat Panda etc? Are there still a lot of those around, I'd imagine they'd be more use than an old 2WD.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FenlandSkier, there was a lot of them around in the Alps last winter. We have on occasion been given a Golf 4x4 which was excellent, but it never seems to be an option you can actually book.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd have thought a standard sized car with 4x4 and snow tyres would be the most sensible option, surprising it's not a bookable one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with the comments above - a 4x4 isn't really necessary. If it is then you seriously don't want to be out.

Do try to get snow tyres (the make heck of a difference) and snow chains (as back up) - look out for a "winterized" option. I'm not sure what Holiday Autos' policy is, but all cars from them at Geneva come winterised - though you have to pay extra if you book through Hertz.

And don't hire too small a car as it'll be too light. We stupidly booked the cheapest possible car the first time without paying too much attention and they had a Smart car lined up for us! Mentioning that we were going to a ski resort quickly yielded a more sensible car - though it's a risky strategy to try on a regular basis.

We now go for a "compact wagon" - which is invariably upgraded. There was a point when our neighbours thought that we only hired Mercs and BMWs...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton wrote:

And don't hire too small a car as it'll be too light. We stupidly booked the cheapest possible car the first time without paying too much attention and they had a Smart car lined up for us! Mentioning that we were going to a ski resort quickly yielded a more sensible car - though it's a risky strategy to try on a regular basis.

We now go for a "compact wagon" - which is invariably upgraded. There was a point when our neighbours thought that we only hired Mercs and BMWs...

Hmmm.... a Smart probably isn't the best option but when the weather gets poor around here I use my wife's fiat panda 2wd which goes pretty much anywhere. Light is good - which is why the 4wd Panda is one of the best snow vehicles. Heavy 4wds (Chelsea Tractors) on the other hand are probably the last thing you want to drive around icy, slippery mountain roads unless you are very careful.
ski holidays
I was given one of the 4-door Smart cars for a trip last season. It was fun to drive, and fairly nippy with just me in it. Seemed to cope OK with a little bit of snow/ice on the road, but I didn't have to drive it in bad conditions.
latest report
PhillipStanton wrote:

- look out for a "winterized" option. I'm not sure what Holiday Autos' policy is, but all cars from them at Geneva come winterised -

it's law in Switzerland that hire companies must provide winter tyres and chains in the season but in France, Austria and Germany you have to pay extra for the chains and will be very lucky to get winter tyres
snow report
I agree mostly with what everyone else has said, but i would say that you must make sure that you get snow tyres - they make the journey a hell of a lot safer if there is snow/ice on the road. Many accidents are caused by foreigners driving to ski resorts in the winters with normal tyres and then wondering why they are sliding around rolling eyes Obviously, if there hasnt been a new snowfall you will be fine but if there is a snowfall it becomes a completely different matter.

I would recommend snow chains as well!
ski holidays
badgerdot, 4x4 is worth it,especially after seeing the weather this year. Get snow tyres, chains and a shovel !! Not done the drive myself but have doen some in other countries.
snow conditions
RichA,
Quote:

PhillipStanton wrote:

- look out for a "winterized" option. I'm not sure what Holiday Autos' policy is, but all cars from them at Geneva come winterised -

it's law in Switzerland that hire companies must provide winter tyres and chains in the season but in France, Austria and Germany you have to pay extra for the chains and will be very lucky to get winter tyres

My holiday autos booking for January at Geneva (Swiss side) states that I must pay an extra 6 euro per day for the winter pack.
latest report
halfhand, what rental company will your rental be with? Over the last few years I've had about 20 rentals from Geneva, I've never paid the winter pack but have always had winter tyres.
snow report
halfhand, so did mine last year , but we weren't charged it.
ski holidays
halfhand, I think you will find that that language on your contract/reservation is some kind of standardised verbage that is on all their contracts.

I've used Holiday Autos for years, and via them have hired dozens of cars at Geneva Airport Swiss side, over the years I ahve used evry car rental company there.
I've never had to pay extra for snowtyres and chains.

I believe it is the law that all Swiss rentals must have snowtyres and chains from December to March.

That alone is a powerful arguament for renting from Swiss side even if you then promptly drive into France.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy