Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you fall?

Poster: A snowHead
I fall a lot off piste, on piste maybe a few times in a day, doing steep moguls and jump park stuff I fall a hell of a lot more. As soon as I start not falling I just seem to go faster or steeper. I am going to try to develop a little more finese this year though and work on my technique.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing socially I hardly ever fall. This is because I stay within my comfort zone.

Lessons at the EoSB in slush with quite a driven group = lots of flying through the air. Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Skiing socially I hardly ever fall. This is because I stay within my comfort zone.

Lessons at the EoSB in slush with quite a driven group = lots of flying through the air. Embarassed

<Nods head in agreement with the frosty one> Yup, same here. At the bash I was quite chuffed that apart from sitting down once when I stopped and rolling doing an exercise in a lesson I hadn't fallen over while free skiing, it wasn't all steady stuff either, there was a bit of hooning around at times.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A good generalisation is that one tends to fall slightly more often than one hits the ground. The older one gets, the smaller this difference becomes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1 or 2 falls each season (3 weeks), tends to be when messing around waiting for others, skiing switch or trying to spin, usually ends with an embarrasing 'edge'.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I fall a couple of times each week, either landing airs, or when I'm mucking around. Easiski's exercises help to increase my fall count as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In about 160 days snow skiing, I think I've only had ONE day when I've not fallen over at least once. Sometimes it's double figures in a day, but now it's more often 2-3 times/day. Fortunately now I fall over much less on plastic than I was doing last year, when I had very little time when there wasn't a pretty good bruise healing somewhere. I'm probably down to about to maybe once in 4-6 weeks (currently skiing on plastic 3 hours/week, about half through slalom courses).

I enjoy skiing at my limits, so would expect to get it wrong quite a bit and hence have a high fall count. Practice also makes recoveries in "likely fall situations" a bit easier. I'm now getting to stuff though where it's significantly more dangerous to have a fall, so a bit of mental retraining is in progress (but not too much Wink ).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rarely unless it involves a terrain park! rolling eyes That said if you don't fall, perhaps you are not pushing yourself and thus wont advance. I have come to realise if I really want to improve my park skills and transfer them to the rest of the mountain I have to accept some pain along the way!

Elsewhere on the mountain falls that hurt only occur while wearing ski area uniform or something equally embrassing at the foot of runs or on greens, such as getting catipulted off the edge of the Traverse on CairnGorm after a binding failure.... and more recently taking an early bath in a flood during torrential rain at Kirkwood were both skis stopped dead in a wall of slush and i carried on without them, in uniform, right beside the loading point of two lifts.... was expensive in terms of beer Embarassed

It made me feel slightly better that I later learned that a liftie and two patrollers stacked in the same place! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
srobbo wrote:
1 or 2 falls each season (3 weeks), tends to be when messing around waiting for others, skiing switch or trying to spin, usually ends with an embarrasing 'edge'.

Did one of those last season - going backwards to watch others catching up, then tried to spin round again and went (backwards) off the piste into a deep gulley Embarassed

Normally about 2 or 3 times a week , but season before last 4 times in one day! Discovered later my ski had delaminated so I claim that was the reason.
Mind you I tend not to count pre-releases since I don't think I should be expected to keep upright off-piste on one ski Madeye-Smiley (Perhaps I should mention I ski 90% off-piste, so ski lots of breakable crust and other crud.)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Every Saturday night/early Sunday morning wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No fall's? No balls Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It depends how much snow is on the hill
Not a lot if the snow is good and the runs are full width Very Happy
However if there is heather hopping involved and the snow is heavy and one basher wide I fall quite often Sad
I ski in Scotland and I know I should be able to ski heather as well if not better than snow but I just can’t Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I fell over today at Castleford, discovered the interlocking effect of twintips halfway through a spin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I don't fall over, I sort of regard it as a failure. I've obviously not tried to push the envelope. Ludicrous sport that that is.

Mind you I found out that trying to do 180s (off the snow) was a lesson in humility and quite good for fitness as I traipsed around the piste to pick up my kit whilst the under 5s sniggered at me from the chair.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
I don't think I should be expected to keep upright off-piste on one ski Madeye-Smiley

Hmm, our guide once skied La Grave almost top to bottom on one ski after one of our party pulled a binding off her ski in a fall and he gave her one of his to make a pair wink

chris wrote:
Its very difficult when you press your hands into the snow and can't touch a base.

I trust you know the "cross your poles in a + sign" and use that as a base technique?

Anniepen wrote:
without major injury so far (touch wood ).

Be careful what you wish for ! touching wood seems to have been the cause of my recent mishap rolling eyes

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 10-09-06 8:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yoda wrote:
snowball wrote:
I don't think I should be expected to keep upright off-piste on one ski Madeye-Smiley

Hmm, our guide once skied La Grave almost top to bottom on one ski after one of our party pulled a binding off her ski in a fall and he gave her one of his to make a pair wink

Our guide heli-skiing in Canada did that when a client's ski flew off a long way down a dead-end gulley and had to be abandoned.
It was a humbling experience - he skied down through the trees on one ski in wind-blown powder and STILL got down before us. (It was a new route so we named it "One Ski")
Obviously in a pre-release it is the unexpected loss, when (by defenition) skiing hard that causes the tumble. I can ski, relatively gently, on one ski on piste, but then so can lots of people. I've never tried in powder, though I offered to try when our group lost equipment in an avalanche. (In the end the guide called a helicopter).
Sometimes I pre release and manage to ski on and stop without falling, and then put down my foot... and it goes in up to my thigh or I trip- so I fall over anyway. Embarassed
latest report
At least once a day Embarassed Nothing to do with pushing myself ..
latest report
Charlatanefc wrote:
Kramer, I knew there was a reason I liked Jerry Wink
Glad I made an impression. Shame it was in the snow, and Jerry-shaped Laughing

On the semi-serious subject of falling, I still have a bit of mental thing that I'm sure holds me back after I sprained my ankle (In a ski boot - I know!) during my first week which curtailed the running for a few months. I still tend to put the brakes on if things get a bit quick, which is probably worse than just relaxing and going with it. Not sure how to cure that other than sticking with it though.
ski holidays
I hardly ever fall nowadays, but then I don't ski much for myself. I do occasionally fall during lessons - but these are usually topple over when standing still or sit down when not paying enough attention sort of things - not rally falls. Actually I'm so good at saving myself now that I'm really scared to fall because the one I can't save will be a doozy, and as you get older you don't bounce as well. Sad

I don't think falling necessarily shows you're pushing yourself to improve - just pushing yourself. It's perfectly possible to improve your skiing without having to go to moguls and steeps (although deep snow is a super teaching aid). Just because you don't want to "push the envelope" doesn't mean you can't be a good skier, or that you should. Many peeps fall in deep snow, and it's not the snow - it's the lack of basic technique. You can get away with lots of stuff on piste that you can't in the deep. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Just because you don't want to "push the envelope" doesn't mean you can't be a good skier, or that you should.

Well said. snowHead
snow report
I’ve skied for years and still fall over – especially in powder – but apart from the odd bruise and painful sprain (touch wood) I’ve been lucky enough to avoid serious injury or miss a days skiing. I guess I’m down to three or four times a week.

That was until I took up freestyle lessons – now its three or four times a session!
Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Once or twice a day on average but ALWAYS in front of mates/chairlift/restaurant/fellow snowheads Embarassed
ski holidays
NEVER in front of the wife Smile
latest report
Falling is fun, means you're pushing your boundaries and trying something daring, but do it on a lift and I wont be happy NehNeh
snow report
Jono, Those long emergency stop poles on the xscape lifts. You know the ones that folks knock every 2 mins, Whats the point of them.

Were the lifts installed on the wrong sides. Seems barmy to have to ski behind the swinging poles on exit
snow report
easiski,
Quote:

topple over when standing still

Toofy Grin The good old falling over standing still routine how does it happen? I blame the Marmottes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
boredsurfin, and they hurt the most as well!

....or is that just me?
latest report
Sharkymark, I think its just you.

EDIT:
The older you are, the harder the fall.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 10-09-06 18:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back to topic. Maybe 2-3 time a week on-piste but lots when off piste which I am not skilled at at all but I keep trying Blush
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, don't forget, I'm off the IOW now so no longer a social oddity (even my eyes have separated to a reasonable distance Very Happy )
latest report
Hardly ever, but on holiday it's at the bottom of a green run in front of a crowded restaurant, or the latest was trying to learn to ski backwards at Cas, guess I was asking to go A over T rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, If skiing backwards don't you go T over A ? Cool
snow conditions
I consider it not often, but still usually a few times in a week's skiing. However, I fell four times today.

The first time, I was skiing on my right (dominant) ski and lost control turning to the right, corrected and did a controlled slide from a quick left turn.

The second time, was at the end of this same run down when I lost control turning to the right, took out the safety netting and hit my head (helmet) on a barrier in front of my kids. If I hadn't had a lid on I'm sure my head would've developed an unpleasant lump.

The third time, I was skiing on my left ski, lost control turning to the right and did a controlled slide to stop.

The fourth time, I was in the lift queue and, well, just toppled over.

The interesting thing about all this though is that I thought that I would find it easier to ski on my right ski, and that I'd be crap at turning onto the uphill edge on either ski. In fact, I found it easier to ski on my left ski! This was because while I undoubtedly turned left most convincingly on my right ski, I was crap at turning right on it. On my left ski, I turned right ok (though not as well as turning left on my right ski), but turned left much better than I was able to turn right on my right ski! So it was much easier to link turns on my left ski and on only the second go, I was able to ski the whole run (150m) without falling over.

Anyone still with me?
snow report
slikedges wrote:
Anyone still with me?

No. Have you got it on video? Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

The fourth time, I was in the lift queue and, well, just toppled over

Falling over standing still Toofy Grin It's more common than one would think Laughing
latest report
maggi wrote:
slikedges wrote:
Anyone still with me?

Not likely! Laughing
snow report
slikedges wrote:
maggi wrote:
slikedges wrote:
Anyone still with me?

Not likely! Laughing
Wiped it did you? wink
ski holidays
On a groomed piste, virtually never....except occassionally in poor vis when I can quite happily fall over standing still at the side because I can't tell up from down!!

On moguls once every three or four turns! Used to be every turn but I'm learning!

Off Piste once every two or three turns...except on the EOSB day out when it escalated to once every 50m or so....Head Moment!!!

Yoda wrote:
I trust you know the "cross your poles in a + sign" and use that as a base technique?

Thanks for teaching me that one....hugely helpful!!!
snow report
homphomp, glad to be of service wink snowHead
snow report
On the piste about once every 10 days or so. These are the ones that hurt me the most. Nothing serious thankfully ... just the bruised muscle feeling that would almost stop you going to the bar ... almost.

Off-piste ... if I'm in a place where I'm told not to fall I generally make more effort and luckily I havn't gone down yet where it could have been dangerous.

On not so steep off-piste I guess about one fall every 2 or 3 runs. More when there is new snow ... but I also try to make my falls spectacular i.e. going for some "big" air (if you were a small cat it would be big).

On moguls I know that when I fall it's getting close to the time I stop. This can happen on the first run or after a half-day. After I begin my falling cycle, I take it a lot easier and get off them as soon as possible.

I have a 100% fall record for doing front-flips. In my defence I have yet to plan a front flip before leaving the snow. The first one ended with the skis sticking out of the ground with me still connected. On the second one, the skis were closer to perpendicular to the ground, but this only meant that I had my head buried deeper. I reckon after four or 5 more goes (going by the progression from the first 2), I should be able to land the skis back onto the snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy