Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you fall?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a 51 yr old intermediate skier (sorry SZK). I fall on average about twice in a weeks skiing. Is that because I dont ski hard enough or is that the norm? I dont really enjoy falling as they are usually quite spectacular (at least that how they feel to me), but do others fall more, or less. Is falling part of improving?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michael B, I don't fall often either, but in my case I think it's because I don't 'push' myself to ski the bits I don't like (moguls, off piste). I've skied for over 20 years now and having struggled to 'get' it in the first week, I'm delighted that I can ski most pistes, getting down in one piece and without major injury so far (touch wood wink ). To some, I suppose my lack of ability (or desire to hone the ability) in order to ski EVERY terrain shows a lack of something, but it doesn't bother me! I just enjoy skiing, the scenery, the cameraderie, fun and apres! I wouldn't do that if I ended up in plaster. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every 4-500m is my average. Tend not to injure myself. Twisted Evil

Mrs P (very good skier, average 80-90 days per season, 40 yr old Shocked), falls very infrequently. In the last fall she tore a ligament in her knee. Fall before that had 2 weeks off due to injury.

Falling MAY mean you are pushing yourself and therefor SHOULD be improving.

Learning to fall correctly WILL prevent injury.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I try not to fall over on skis, especially when travelling at high speed as it can hurt.

I guess on average that I fall once for every 4 weeks or so of skiing that I manage
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Michael B, I would say that I probably fall 2 - 3 times during a weeks skiing, someimes this happens when I am not actually moving. Laughing Like yourself I too am an Intermediate skiier Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last season I fell 4 or 5 times (in about 250 hours of skiing) except for the 1 day I spent messing around in 25cm of powder all day when I fell at least once on every run usually more frequently.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Falling in powder is too much fun NOT to do it. (in terms of technical ability, I'm a beginner)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I fell (as i got of the ski lift) on my very first run on my first ever day on a mountain. It was a slow fall and my bindings didn't release - result one torn ligament in my knee.

From that point onward I was always very keen to avoid falls so for the last 3 years i have probably only fallen once or twice per season.

Last year I was getting a bit 'cocky' / enthusiastic, and also enjoying some wonderful powder at Heavenly. As a result I fell several times, including a couple of relatively 'fast' falls (that involved some acrobatics) and one nose plant that left me several yards away from my skis. None of these hurt at all, which gave me a lot more confidence to sail a bit closer to the wind. I'm hoping to get into some powder again this year, and don't worry at all about falling in it. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Ditto and Me 2 in that order Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very variable. I like to go fast if the coast is clear and I've had the odd spectacular - so far without injury. I've been doing a lot more off-piste (mainly under expert supervision) in the last couple of seasons, but fairly cautiously so I haven't fallen much - just got embarrassingly stuck now and again!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless I'm on a black piste when I fall at least once, I only usually fall when I'm cruising on say a long wide blue and my mind starts to wander, don't look where I'm going etc.... Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I fall when I practise quick, short turns as I'm told these are the key to off-piste skiing. I tend to fall doing this and particularly I land on my hip. I did just this last January and it took 6mths for my back/hip to feel really ok again. I know I have to practise this, but am afraid of hurting myself. Any tips?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never fall. Falling is for punters. However, I do occasionally "lose my edges" rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On alpine kit I fall very rarely - once or twice in a season and only once in three season have the skis released - skiing off piste on the East Lady at Cairngorm a couple of years ago on a mix of powder and breakable crust.

I fall a lot more frequently on my telemark kit especially when I'm trying to do tele turns, but I've only been trying telemark for a couple of years. First year I would fall once or twice a run on anything steep, last year was down to two or three falls in a days skiing and usually only if i was trying to tele on steep runs or off piste.

On nordic/track skis I'll fall occasionally, particularly on downhills/corners in Scotland where the snow can be iffy (thats my excuse anyway Smile ).
On rollerskis I fall occasionally, particularly when doing coaching exercises like skiing around cones set out on a downhill. However i try to avoid falling, particularly at speed on the downhills as it can make a horrible mess and its never nice getting the blood off the tarmac Smile .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, when I say "fall" I mean "face-plant".
ski holidays
erica2004,

Quote:

I fall when I as I'm told these are the key to off-piste skiing. I tend to fall doing this and particularly I land on my hip. I did just this last January and it took 6mths for my back/hip to feel really ok again. I know I have to practise this, but am afraid of hurting myself. Any tips?

Without seeing you ski it's quite difficult.

Some thoughts;

Falling on your hip ? Does this mean that you fall onto your inside ski and then hip ? If so feet apart is a good answer !
snowHead
I'm confused by
Quote:

quick, short turns

'cos I'm not sure they are the key to offpiste skiing. Puzzled A good, strong rhythm is does help (a lot), but that doesn't mean a quick one. Puzzled
ski holidays
Everyone falls, and you really should do it often as falling well is almost an art...Laughing

You should also have it in mind where you can and can't fall
snow report
Usually once or twice a week, and they're either super-spectacular, or a bit like halfhand on a green or blue when I'm not concentrating. My most spectacular was in Soldeu last Christmas when I cart-wheeled about 50-100 metres down a steepish slope which I'd been going fairly quick on. I must have landed on my head as my sunglasses were broken (as my skiing partner pointed out as he wet himself). Probably saved my life then... At least I knew that the bindings were working!
snow report
Depends on what I'm skiing - quite often. Usually 4-5 times a day on average I'd say. 2-3 times an hour if I'm on teles.
snow report
I always fall on the first day, much to the delight of the kids, "Ooh Dad was the first one to fall over".
I fell twice at Castleford the other week and once at MK (although that really was because the binding was set half a CM too long!!)

The thing that seems to most commonly make me fall is everyone happening to look at me rolling eyes

I think as you improve though, it's more important to be aware of where your limits are. In a higher risk environment (whether due to terain, speed, weather, whatever) I'll tend to give myself greater margins and hence fall less frequently (a fall at greater speed, for example, will hurt more). In those circumstances I'm more likely to be getting wound up with myself for things like not getting my weight right early in the turn so turning a little wider than I'd anticipated or something similarly anal.
It's when I'm messing around in safer zones that I'm more likely to lose it completely rolling eyes

But I do often push myself and I like the exhilaration of that so I don't expect to stay on my feet permanently.
I suppose in all, I probably average one or two falls a day - although generally less on hardpack days and more when it's soft snowHead
ski holidays
Usually once a holiday, on the last day, doing myself somethng nasty to either a) shoulder; b) ribs; or c) camera.

Last season I fell lots, though, as Neil Trevis was determined to break me in the moguls.
latest report
Usually once or twice per holiday, usually the first morning while I'm trying to find my ski legs again. Possibly more often if there's been fresh powder, ain't used to it. Only skied about 3 days of it in 10 weeks.
snow conditions
Charlatanefc, more often if Jerry is around to break your fall. wink
ski holidays
Kramer, I knew there was a reason I liked Jerry Wink
latest report
Probably I average about one fall a week....

my instructors once told me they would like me to fall about twice a week.... They are always skiing me on the edge of my comfort zone for at least some part of each day - but I have a nasty habit of bailing out when my balance feels too challenged....

the same instructors also felt much more ie around 1 fall a day was too many... hence they arrived at twice a week as an OK number for me - skiing in control but pushed a bit...
ski holidays
Probably 2-3 times in a week. Dozens if there is powder!!!
latest report
I don't really keep an accurate count but very rarely on piste. Off piste there are some places where you don't fall - simple as that. I adjust my technique accordingly - it often isn't pretty but it keeps me upright. Other times, I think "I'm going to ski the #### out of this" and falling is more likely. The usual one is hitting a soft patch where the tips get buried, leading to double ejection and flying like superman for what feels like quite a long way. Would love to see myself doing this - I reckon it would be quite spectacular Laughing
snow report
I used to fall all the time, but very rarely these days, unless I try to get some air, then I've about 50% chance of falling.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
I don't really keep an accurate count but very rarely on piste. Off piste there are some places where you don't fall - simple as that. I adjust my technique accordingly - it often isn't pretty but it keeps me upright. Other times, I think "I'm going to ski the #### out of this" and falling is more likely. The usual one is hitting a soft patch where the tips get buried, leading to double ejection and flying like superman for what feels like quite a long way. Would love to see myself doing this - I reckon it would be quite spectacular Laughing

Ditto. Took the words right out of my mouth/keyboard. Also tend to fall when not concentrating soon after something very difficult. Known as a 'patheto-fall'
snow conditions
flicksta - I do that.... my best efforts (I did it twice) involved falling down while standing dead still on a flat surface.... both times my instructor had stopped for a chin wag in the beginner kids area.... both times i just went SPLAT part way through his conversation....

he was quite curious as to whether I was trying to drop unsubtle hints... and joked that i should stop the poor behaviour in front of the ski school or he might get into trouble for the terrain he was skiing me on as I was falling down when standing!
latest report
Recently I skied a reasonably difficult gully, very fast and hard, really putting the effort in. Slowed up at the end, skied up to my buddy who said 'you looked really good down there'. Promptly crossed skis and fell over.
latest report
flicksta, Most of my falling seems to be like that. Usually I'm coming to a stop and looking round to see where someone else is and catch an edge. V. embarassing. Embarassed
ski holidays
I fall very rarely. When I'm free skiing, quite often it's 'thou shalt not fall' terrain - i.e. where a fall could have serious consequences. As a result I tend to be a little cautious - probably why I can't race that well.

When I'm coaching youngsters, lack of falls upsets them greatly and by the end of a week they are normally trying to trip me up, push me over - anything to get me in the snow! If I do go down, then this usually results in great laughter and cheers. Embarassed
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Falling in powder is too much fun NOT to do it. .........

Wasn't when I did Sad

Falling does not usually result in jury, but is not a good idea. When I was in LDA last season, easkski pushed us quite hard, yet I did not fall that week, IIRC. I fell just once at ADH - bimbling through some trees in deep snow on a medium slope. I ruptured an achilles tendon.

We all fall from time to time. But I wouldn't call falls something you must have to prove you have been trying.
snow report
I like falling, at least when no injuries occur. Faceplants in soft snow is part of the fun.... snowHead
snow report
Michael B, Nah, counting falls is a waste of time. If the number says something definitive about an individual's skiing, then someone I know who keeps falling over every 30 minutes coz they're crap on skis would qualify as a skiing god. Which is complete rubbish.

I fall over 1/day, normally when standing still (the classic "not paying attention" trick).

Perhaps the reason you're not falling much is coz you're already mastered everything about skiing? Laughing
snow report
It depends what I am skiing - last Feb I fell once in a weeks skiing and really hurt my ankle (bindings too tight). In March in 5 days of skiing I fell quite a few times, mainly due to poor visibility and new snow cover and also a knackered ankle didn't help.

snowHead
snow conditions
I wouldn't have thought falling in itself it something to aspire to but I've always viewed it as an essential part of the learning process and knowing how to fall properly as an important skill in whatever sport you are doing : skiing, snowboarding, mountin biking, rugby etc.

I was particularly impressed seeing snowboard instructors at MK teaching beginners how to fall properly when they caught a heel edge (the worst whiplash type fall).

FWIW my highest injury falls have been almost exclusively in icy lift mazes or on very easy slopes (says something about my concentration!!)
ski holidays
Manda, The one thing I can absolutely guarantee is that I have not MASTERED skiing. If I really wanted to "up" my fall count I'd Ski moguls, trees, powder, slush, the list could go on & on.
snow conditions
I rarely fall on piste but last season with the huge snowfalls I had plenty of 'downs' in the deep powder off-piste. Quite enjoyable as Wear The Fox Hat, says but I had trouble getting up again. Its very difficult when you press your hands into the snow and can't touch a base.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy