Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My name is Frosty The Snowman, and I'm an intermediate level skier.

Poster: A snowHead
So at what point do stop being a novice and start being an intermediate ?

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I posted it as sometimes I (as in often) read threads on analysis, technique and stuff like that and I honestly don't have a clue what is being talked about.
Bearing in mind I was the one at the VT equipment test that wanted to test the sunglasses... Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eEvans wrote:
slikedges wrote:
Not sure this thread has completely headed in the direction that FtS had exactly intended. I think he'd intended it as a disarmingly frank public admission of not being the most technical of skiers. It's now been hijacked by some as a public display of modesty to proclaim that despite effort and progress they recognise that they shouldn't think of themselves as advanced or expert (though others, of course, may wink ). So obviously what's needed is to distinguish between different levels of intermediate. Toofy Grin May I suggest a 'what level of skier are you' or 'how good a skier do you think you are' thread?

That wasn't my intent. I actually am with FTS for once. The analysis of what followed Foxy's great videos left me totally lost - almost to the stage of wondering if I could EVER improve if that is the requisite knowledge. Unlike Frosty I need to improve despite a similar age and fitness profile . I will allow other experts to start a thread on 'Keep 50 YO beginners off the slopes'.

To be fair, WTFH et al did ask for analysis of their videos, so it wasn't criticism for criticisms sake, or even showing off for showing offs sake, just trying to give a few pointers. The basic technique displayed was good, so the points to be picked up on are always going to be fairly minor.

I think that it's great to just enjoy your skiing, and most of the time that's what I like to do as well. I just find that if I challenge myself just a little more each time, then my enjoyment of all slopes goes up. Once you're at a certain level, it is just minor tweaks that are needed, and these are going to be a little esoteric.

Mind you, I do think that there are two sorts of people on this site, those who talk themselves up, and those who talk themselves down. I happen to know that Rob, FTS, HelsT, and Jerry are all in the second group. NehNeh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer wrote:
I happen to know that Rob, FTS, HelsT, and Jerry are all in the second group. NehNeh

Maybe, but not deliberately, more from a lack of confidence in my abilities Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jerry wrote:
So at what point do stop being a novice and start being an intermediate ?

Can't claim a great deal of knowledge here, but IMHO a 'novice' is someone who is still snow-ploughing most of the time and sticks to the nursery slopes. anyone who can link parallel turns and is happy on most blues is an intermediate. Dunno when expert cuts in, but don't expect to get there in my lifetime Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
To be fair, WTFH et al did ask for analysis of their videos, so it wasn't criticism for criticisms sake, or even showing off for showing offs sake, just trying to give a few pointers. The basic technique displayed was good, so the points to be picked up on are always going to be fairly minor.

Mind you, I do think that there are two sorts of people on this site, those who talk themselves up, and those who talk themselves down. I happen to know that Rob, FTS, HelsT, and Jerry are all in the second group. NehNeh

Agreed , WTFH was brave to do so and the thread was very interesting. My only problem being that it was mind-blowing for those like me. - It read like the theory of relativity. Mind you if I was to put up a video of myself skiing , the feedback may have been more focused and relevant :-
-Open your eyes
-Your hip-width apart, not an elephants
-Your arms are for balance not a wind generation system
-Leaning your head to one side does not help you turn
-oops, never mind, do you want a hand back up?
so the feedback was probably horses for courses

I feel no better for knowing that FTS is a disreputable blaggard and con-artist Shocked - I wouldn't play poker with him either wink BTW - I am probably in the talk-up group Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My name is Earl.....and I aspire to the Intermediate Hump
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, I must have missed that bit Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i have used this one before but ...

..you are no longer a beginner when people start getting in YOUR way.. Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
eEvans wrote:
My only problem being that it was mind-blowing for those like me. - It read like the theory of relativity.

I really wouldn't worry about it. To be realistic, I'm at the upper end of the holiday skier bracket, by which I mean on an average winter day I'm probably in the top 20% or so of people skiing (on an average summer day I'm in the bottom 20% so I have no delusions that I'm actually really any good). A lot of it goes over my head as well, or at least I understand the points being made but wouldn't necessarily have picked up on them myself or know what to do to go about correcting them.

I suspect most of the people critiqueing are instructors or aspiring to be, this kind of analysis is their thing. For the rest of us mortals just keep taking the lessons and work on one thing at a time.

Over complicating skiing is not a good idea imo, it's essentially a simple game, look at the way kids pick it up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eEvans wrote:
My only problem being that it was mind-blowing for those like me. - It read like the theory of relativity.

(not meant condescending, etc)
...just a thought, but if you don't understand, ask!

I mean, put a post up on that thread if things are confusing - it's also a useful way to find out who knows what they are talking about, and who is just using words they have heard before, but don't know what they mean (i.e. bullsh*ters)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm an intermediate Bullsh*tter, but I'm hoping to get off the plateau any day now Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan, make sure you wipe before you get off the "plateau" (a new name for Turkish toilets? Wink )

As for my technical ability skiing, I am definitely in the bottom half of skiers at the resorts I go to.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Not taken as condescending at all; in this case I wouldn't ask as my questioning would add little value to myself or the general audience.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian,

Quote:

Over complicating skiing is not a good idea imo, it's essentially a simple game

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Over complicating skiing is not a good idea imo, it's essentially a simple game, look at the way kids pick it up.

I do agree. Generally if you concentrate on one aspect of your technique, a lot of the rest falls into place automatically. Kids can be a little misleading though, they get away with things that adults can't.
ski holidays
FTS,

I wouldn't worry about it... its all reletive.

Mind you, if someone makes themselves out to be this and that and they're not....then they deserved to get pulled up...but that's hardly about skiing anyway.
snow report
The fastest way to progress through the ranks is drink more beer. By the end of a damn good session, especially one with a good quantity of Jagermeister or Genepy thrown into the mix, I can ski anything bettter than anyone !!! Laughing

An Expert of course can still do this next morning, with a hangover. Novices and a good number of the 'inbetweenies' I ski with don't even make it out next morning...wimps Laughing
snow conditions
Hello, my name is The Bunnet (long story will tell you one day) and I'm an 'Inbetween Skier' too. And my boots are Salomon and hoping for new ski's for my Christmas. I never smile and all my ski instructors tell me to loosen up. So I did after drinking two glasses of wine before hitting the slopes. Felt tonnes better.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
The Bunnet, welcome to snowHead s.

Anything Fergus McCann related ?
latest report
I am an intermediate skier. An intermediate skier skies the plateau. Plateaus aren't perfectly flat. Sometimes I ski better than last time, often I ski worse than last time. Overall I neither improve nor get worse. This can be daily variation, but there is always an annual variation. The years I skied best were the years when I couldn't go. The years I skied worst were normally the years preceding the years when I couldn't go. My inbetween years are the inbetween years. I can get down a blue, a red and a black. I fall more the steeper the slope, the my worst fall was on a blue. I can't ski on/in powder, I'm quicker through trees without skis, I can't ski on bumps and I just about manage on ice. I'm rarely on the first lift, I'm often on the last one. At the start of the week I'm at my most confident. Halfway through the week I take less chances as I start to worry about hurting myself. At the end of the week I'm glad I've made it unscathed, but wish I had another week. Every autumn I spend too long on websites planning my next trip. I spend more time looking at pictures of ski slopes than on ski slopes. I suspect I will never get better than my best so far, but rarely admit it to myself. I do know however, that barring mishaps, I will never get as "poor" as my pre-plateau days. I am an intermediate skier. snowHead
snow report
skanky, well sumed up. snowHead
latest report
skanky, Now that is what i need from every client!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, I think you may be missing some of the point of snowHead 's. Maybe 20% of the people posting are pretty good tending to very good skiers the other 80% of us would probably be fairly indistinguishable given 2 weeks tuition. We might do slightly different things but at the end of the day the things we have difficulty with are pretty much the same and a two degree difference of adduction in the knee bone is not going to make a whole lot of difference.
This does not mean we have to sound the same on snowHead 's we have different gambits to make us sound a bit more knowledgeable and possibly like the 20%.
So if you are feeling a bit lacking in knowledge try one of the following gambits.

The equipment gambit:
This has two variants either extolling or condemning some equipment.
The condemnation is that you take a perfectly good ski that most of us enjoy skiing on then proclaim that it is either useless or OK but does not cope with extreme torque another variant is to say it flatters poorer skiers leaving everyone who quite enjoys them feeling a little inadequate.
For the extolling variant you should use a ski that few people will have a chance of testing ‘Wow them Wonkl muthafu**as really bite the edge when you crank em up’ If you want to discuss the technical points you must emphasise how big they are and the wooden core is key.

Ski resorts once again either condemnation or exuberance are the best options. You must only discuss the off piste or moguls if you are to retain credibility though. An exception can be made if you say you were race training.
Everyone secretly looks down on some tiny resorts so dissing them does not increase your credibility . You have to say something like 3V is just terminally intermediate and crowded to boot. You may need to be a little careful; slagging of Chamonix will probably not get you to much credibility though you may get away with ‘the off piste gets skied out to quickly these days’ but someone is likely to come back with ‘not if you know the place well’.
Boosting a tiny resort may be worthwhile because most people who ski them are beginners and may not realise you have invented the expert terrain. ‘Wow Molehill im Winkl has some real sick lines if you are prepared to climb a few hundred feet’

More recently it seems that video has taken over, this may be a bit more difficult but remember: ‘no-one in cyberspace need know you are a dog’ Next year I intend to take a small hand held mobile phone and video some local hard core nutter if anyone who knows me but not seen me skiing I will say that the pixellic distortion makes me difficult to recognize.

In the mean time I suggest you get over to Parlors video thread and make some suitable comment. ‘Sweet turns but aren’t you getting in the back seat occasionally’. This will instantly restore you from your current state of feeling inadequate and you will regain that vital SH’s credibility.
wink
ski holidays
T Bar, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
T Bar, We aren't worthey! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
skanky, Now that is what i need from every client!

If anyone can do me a French, Italian & German translation, that should be my ski/boot hire requests sorted for the rest of my skiing life. Neutral
snow report
The back seat one works for just about everyone. Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
skanky, "Je viens d'Angleterre" should just about do it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 brian
brian
T Bar, Molehill im winkl for me next season, Laughing
ski holidays
T Bar, Just brilliant Laughing
ski holidays
T Bar, Oh yes Embarassed Embarassed brilliant Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
brian wrote:
The Bunnet, welcome to snowHead s.

Anything Fergus McCann related ?

No but I did bump into him alot on school runs several years ago. Smile
snow report
skanky, & T Bar, top top stuff Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I am neither a beginner, interf@ckingmediate, or expert skier.

I am a boarder. I always smile though. Toofy Grin
latest report
paulm, try standing up too.
snow report
T Bar, Nice one. Laughing
snow report
T Bar- pretty much spot on.

I'm sure it would be poosible to entirely invent a resort ("it's so hardcore it doesn't even have a website" populated entirely by Scandis, Canucks & Yetis (so other people would be embarassed to admit they hadn't heard of it when these hard core skiing nations had).

Equally you can always try a new variant of the sport - "Ooh I found that bit a bit tedious skiing but it was perfect on my Assymetric Mono Tele Skwall"
ski holidays
The Bunnet wrote:
Hello, my name is The Bunnet (long story will tell you one day) and I'm an 'Inbetween Skier' too. And my boots are Salomon and hoping for new ski's for my Christmas. I never smile and all my ski instructors tell me to loosen up. So I did after drinking two glasses of wine before hitting the slopes. Felt tonnes better.

I too have been instructed (officially by an instructor!) to have a beer before I start on the slopes each morning - my confession is that I tend to over-analyse Embarassed
snow report
eng_ch,

I find a Kafi Lutz better for breakfast than beer.... beer for lunch...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy