Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My name is Frosty The Snowman, and I'm an intermediate level skier.

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer, smile and the world smiles with you Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll play...

I'm a disabled skier and....
I don't give a flying f#$% what type of skier I am by anybody elses stupid systems.....

my system involves the following....
I am better than I was before(usually last season) and I ski more terrain that I wish to ski more comfortably than before....
I am performing up to the ability I have at any given point in my development as a skier

me - generally I LAUGH a LOT when I ski....
(maybe it is the looks on the faces of those around me Wink )

my instructors laugh a lot too... but then they are watching me ski Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ wrote:

Fall over, and you're on your own!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My name is Hugh Jarce and I'm a beginner - just bought my own boots and skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My name is Steve, i can't won't ski bumps but i'll chew up your children elsewhere! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
RachelQ wrote:

Fall over, and you're on your own!
Not true:
Fall over and the world laughs out loud. (the trick is to laugh too and mean it, then they are laughing with you, not at you.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm smolo ... it's not my name, but it will do.

I will be living upstairs from SMALLZOOKEEPERs shop this winter, so if that doesn't make me a better skier, nothing will Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:
We are all intermediates.

As proof I submit
http://youtube.com/v/zVrdS2RkZXw

The bit around 1:34 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's not skiing, that's falling with style!
Great skiing is falling with control.

(PS I'm not that good a skier... but just sometimes I touch that feeling, and that's what's important)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 5-09-06 19:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm an intermediate skier. But I'm a better intermediate skier than I was last year, and better than the year before that, and so on ... back to the dawn of time!

I don't care if I never win a giant slalom, or never ski the steepest couloirs, but I'm pretty motivated by skiing that little bit faster, longer, steeper, bumpier, etc. each time.
snow report
 brian
brian
My name is brian (no really) and I'm not an intermediate skier, so there NehNeh

Mind you, it's not as if I don't have plenty to work on .....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, so eventually, you have to ski the steepest, bumpiest and meanist to keep going Little Angel
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Do similarly afflicted snowheads sometimes feel like an underclass on this forum?

Any more of an underclass than those who haven't made it to a bash or don't get to consider themselves lardyboys or aren't up early enough for the dawn chorus or .... ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, if I live to 200! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My name is cathy and for the number of weeks I've been skiing I should be a much better skier Sad Very definitely slap bang in the middle of intermediate - and cautious at that!

But I am working to improve! Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm also an intermediate but I'm working on it, I managed my first blacks this year and I'm attempting some more black terrain when I'm in Banff in January! Cool
snow conditions
In my saner moments I am also intimidated by the skiing narrative on here. Every time I go near a slope I learn how much more I have to learn. I was horrified at my ineptitude having been videod by an instructor last season (perfect snow and wide , empty (blue?) piste--- and then he assured me that I didn't ski that well usually.

I'm an in-betweeny as well ... in between falls most of the time.

I've decided that I will always be a 'learner' and the term 'intermediate' is too grandiose for what I do. I coined the term 'Advanced Beginner' to describe myself on here and that is what I am - to suggest that I have attained any level of competence is incorrect and misleading.

I was also relieved to read SZK and easiski's analysis of skis as I have always preferred and felt happier on 'stiffer' skis ... yet have also been shouted down for making that claim by the 'learned' few on here for irresponsibility.

All I can realistically aim for is improvement (the smile is fixed 'on') .. Roll On the snow !
ski holidays
eEvans, your classification reminds me of textbooks.

Why is that that they're always Elementary <Something Hard> rather than Advanced <Something Easy> e.g. Elementary Quantum Electrodynamics and not Dead Complicated Physics?
ski holidays
My name is Charlatanefc, and I am an intermediate skier. I'm also overweight, and love a pint more than most.

SO SUE ME!!!! wink
ski holidays
There is a fair amount of hot air written about technique on this forum though, so I wouldn't feel intimidated by it.
ski holidays
My name is Stevew and I'm an intermediate skiier and proud of it! I also have B2's and generally sport a silly red hat! snowHead
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:
We are all intermediates.

As proof I submit
http://youtube.com/v/zVrdS2RkZXw

The bit around 1:34 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's not skiing, that's falling with style!

The question is - is he skiing down. Or climbing up? I can't see any skis either...

I think that's Jeremy Jones, big mountain snowboarder which would explain the lack of skis.

I know I'll only ever be intermediate compared to some of the pros & indeed ams I've had the fortune to see larking around in my time e.g. McConkey ran a switch GS race at Squaw.
snow report
I may as well join your club too.

My name in Johnboy and I am not a beginner anymore, neither am I am expert or advanced skier, so I must be inbetween. Doesn't mean I'm any good though
snow conditions
There are three grades of skiers

1) People who ski one week a season

2)People who ski 2 to 4 weeks a season

3) People who ski all season
ski holidays
And the number of skier grades is three.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3, the magic number
snow report
Not sure this thread has completely headed in the direction that FtS had exactly intended. I think he'd intended it as a disarmingly frank public admission of not being the most technical of skiers. It's now been hijacked by some as a public display of modesty to proclaim that despite effort and progress they recognise that they shouldn't think of themselves as advanced or expert (though others, of course, may wink ). So obviously what's needed is to distinguish between different levels of intermediate. Toofy Grin May I suggest a 'what level of skier are you' or 'how good a skier do you think you are' thread?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 5-09-06 20:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
riverman wrote:
There are three grades of skiers

1) People who ski one week a season

2)People who ski 2 to 4 weeks a season

3) People who ski all season

I ski more than 4 weeks a season but not all season.... now what?

(I usually have 4 weeks leave and long weekends on 1/2-all weekends... leaving me with 50-70 days skiing in a 3month Oz season)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, I think I'm great. And I enjoy skiing. do I care about what box everyone wants to put me in? NO!!! Laughing
latest report
Hi I'm one too, and Frosty the Snowman, is my god and Charlatanefc, is my role model Smile

Long live us all to ski,drink and most of all laugh about it.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 5-09-06 20:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
little tiger, You probally ski in bad weather whereas a all season skier would stay in bed, so you are left in limbo between 2 and 3!
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, shirley you remember what happened to previous such threads? Laughing
ski holidays
Nick_C, sniff. That was beautiful Wink
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
little tiger, You probally ski in bad weather whereas a all season skier would stay in bed, so you are left in limbo between 2 and 3!

Got it in ONE Blush

I have a reputation in ski school for turning up no matter what! I have bailed only once due to rain and there really were streams running down the hill.... and it took BOTH my instructors to convince me to go out and have lunch down the valley.... I have skied with one when the chair we were riding was getting 130kph wind gusts and chairs ahead of us were hitting towers(we were stopped just below with a little shelter)... and with the other when I had to ski about 6 inches from his ski tails because otherwise I could not see his red jacket through the fog.... Shocked I still remember that trip - skied terrain ii would never have considered if i could see it and was happy as it had snow... we had been stuck up top when the weather came in and were skiing on green stuff hitting the odd pocket of loose stuff and picking way between granite... the slope that had snow on looked SOOOOO nice (what I could see) that I happily did the few turns required to return to the main run.... the next day though I was NOT happy to discover myself on smae slope... it looked way worse when you could see it!

these days though I am getting a tad pickier... I am starting to feel less need to ski quite ALL the conditions mother nature throws out!
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
Not sure this thread has completely headed in the direction that FtS had exactly intended. I think he'd intended it as a disarmingly frank public admission of not being the most technical of skiers.

I posted it as sometimes I (as in often) read threads on analysis, technique and stuff like that and I honestly don't have a clue what is being talked about. There also seems to be a "snobbery" by some folks (unintentional I'm sure) that if it isn't technically difficult skiing then it is not skiing, it doesn't matter.

I want to improve, but the body, its clock, and my commitment will not allow much further development. However that makes my opinion and what I value in skiing no less important. After all, the intermediate skier is in the majority out there. I am starting a campaign for Mr(s) Average. Very Happy snowHead
latest report
slikedges wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, shirley you remember what happened to previous such threads? Laughing

Yes, but I was just tyring to get it back to the light-heartedness that it had previously!
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, There is as much technical rubarb talked about skiing as there is about golf and you know how boring golf talk is
snow report
...Tiger Woods was driving to the K Club for the Ryder Cup in the Volvo he won at a recent tournament. On the way, he noticed he was running low on fuel, so pulled in at a village petrol station. Paddy, the owner came out to fill up his car, and Tiger got out for a walk around. As he did so, some golf tees fell out of his pocket and landed on the car seat. Paddy said "Sure what are those thing for there?"
Tiger replied "I put my balls on them when I'm driving"
To which Paddy replied "Those Swedes, they thing of everything."
snow conditions
Snowsports are generally about smiles on faces. Whatever puts one there is fine. For some it'll be a balls out chute, for others a cruise to a favorite sun terrace.
snow report
slikedges wrote:
Not sure this thread has completely headed in the direction that FtS had exactly intended. I think he'd intended it as a disarmingly frank public admission of not being the most technical of skiers. It's now been hijacked by some as a public display of modesty to proclaim that despite effort and progress they recognise that they shouldn't think of themselves as advanced or expert (though others, of course, may wink ). So obviously what's needed is to distinguish between different levels of intermediate. Toofy Grin May I suggest a 'what level of skier are you' or 'how good a skier do you think you are' thread?

That wasn't my intent. I actually am with FTS for once. The analysis of what followed Foxy's great videos left me totally lost - almost to the stage of wondering if I could EVER improve if that is the requisite knowledge. Unlike Frosty I need to improve despite a similar age and fitness profile . I will allow other experts to start a thread on 'Keep 50 YO beginners off the slopes'.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy