Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement skis?

Poster: A snowHead
My ski related post in contrition for a bit of moaning elsewhere.

Anyone ski Movements? I know phil ingle is sponsored by them.

Been looking at them & they seem to get good reviews (for what they are worth) for the heavier/more aggressive skier. Anyone got anything to say about them good or bad? Thunders/Pow Pows etc

(I assume I'll be able to get them in La Rosiere while testing them in 12m of early season powder wink )

Edit for clarification: by heavier/more aggressive I mean in my case it certainly ain't pretty!!! Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-09-06 22:19; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, yeah, there fatest ski is skinny...

I spent a day on a pair of Thunders, but it was in a foot of powder, so who really knows.

PM Flicksta he had a pair of Thunders...

Goliaths look good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
seen them criticised for being too stiff (this is by decent skiers) but never been on them myself
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, TOO stiff?? You are having a laugh. Never skied them myself I have to admit but am now dead keen to do so.

Only too stiff ski I've ever encountered (here we go again, grandad, have another creme de menthe) was the Atomic Arc Bionic SL of 1989 designed for Tomba. B@st@rd ski.

Flame Pro have great graphics, which really is all that matters, non? Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, i thought it was a strange criticism too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, Nah!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did indeed have a pair of Thunders and enjoyed them a great deal. When I got them, they were the fattest ski I'd had, although they aren't any more.

The first time I used them in earnest was in Argentina and some very steep stuff, 48 and 50 degree couloirs in a mixture of conditions. I was very happy with them, since I came away unscathed and felt very secure in a pretty high consequence environment. I also skied them in some pretty deep powder and they were great.

Only comment I can make re stiffness is I had a day alternating them with some Gotamas, and the Gotamas were noticeably much stiffer.

Only criticism I would have is that a plonked them down against a wall in snow, bashed them on some concrete and lost a bit of the topsheet at the tail.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW I find the Gotamas to be 'softish', especially in the tail.

flicksta, how do they compare to the Madens? I've not skied Madens but pressing them in the shop they feel softer (overall) than a Gotama...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can tie a pair of Madens in a knot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is the thread where I got my possibly dubious info from:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48668

Surprised about the comparison with the Gotamas - I had them down as a reasonably soft (but certainly not noodly) ski. Maybe they're amongst the AT skis which are too soft Puzzled

Guess the conslusion is to try before you buy Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Both the Gotama and the Ma'den have soft tails and tips for landings. The key to flex testing these skis is not to flex the full length, by blocking the tail with the foot and ignoring the give in the tip. Both skis have a good stiffness starting about 10cm down from the tip and up from the tail, giving the ski a lively feel when skied on harder snow pack. I too felt the same abouthe the Seth and the Ma'den and stuggled to middle the ski in powder as they ski short due to the forgiveness of the extemeties. Since then, due to their popularity with the aggresive Scandies here in Cham', i gave them a few more tries and found they are surprisingly stable at higher speeds and longer turns. Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Without sounding like an absolutely fool, I really haved caned the Madens in all sorts of conditions off piste and it has proved extremely stable with me on board. That said, I really do struggle with it on hard pack. Slides all over the place.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flicksta, I think with wider skis on hard pack, good preparation of the ski is key. Also, you need to be really committed and get those skis right over! Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied my Madens in Argentiere at NY two days after getting them, all sorts of trouble on anything resembling polished. Same each time, I would rather not bother with them on piste. Off piste though, they really suit me, since I do like big long turns.

The stiffness debate always interests me. What difference do people think a stiff/flexible ski makes?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flicksta, Stiff skis for 'Engaged' skiers, soft ones for 'Passive' skiers.

No wedding jokes! Little Angel
snow report
That doesn't demystify it a lot. In layman's terms? I think a lot of this ski is stiff/no it's not debate comes from different interpretations of what impact stiffness has.
ski holidays
flicksta, Sorry, i think to benifit from a stiff(tailed) ski, one has to be aggresive. By that i mean, locked in the turn and constantly applying pressure to charge the tail with energy. Then at the right momment; release, unweight and let the ski accelerate whilst you change direction and start again to apply pressure. A stiff ski will bite a little earlier and require presure to use it's shape.
A softer ski will bottom out if a strong/aggresive skier tries this and as a result will feel they are passive in the effect on the ski.
snow conditions
That makes a lot of sense. Nice one.
latest report
the rider's weight makes a big difference to their perception of stiffness - so for a big (fairly) strong lad like me a burly ski feels more manageable than it would for someone a bit lighter
ski holidays
Agree with all that. My Prophets are soft but can be A-B-U-S-E-D. Preperation is the key. That and dislocating knees / hips... And word is I've got an alignnment problem!
latest report
parlor, I envisage you walking like a Giraffe passing under a low door! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
fatbob, I thought the Demon Flame was quite stiff, but it was also too long for me at 169 - a softer ski of that length is fine. Heavy too, but these are the most pisty of their range. Can't talk about the others.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, the beautiful lady wife often calls me a giraffe, although I'm only 6'1"... Wink
latest report
IMHO Joysticks are CR&P, dont bother wasting your money on the inferior build of them - if freestyle is what your after.

Also seen many peeps suffer at the hands of Armada with quality

I stick to well tested K2's, Volkl and Dynastars

A
snow conditions
Thanks for the comments so far. I was thinking the Thunder might be a good Euro ski, narrow enough for a bit of hook up on icy pistes & variable off piste but with enough girth to assist in the soft stuff. Course I really lust after the Pow Pow Swallows or Goliaths wink
snow conditions
double post deleted

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 7-09-06 1:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have both the Spark Carbon and the Gladiator (both 183), bought using the very reasonable BASI deal last season (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available this season). I demo'd those plus the Demon FLame in 179. I essentially had to choose between the Demon Flame and the SPark Carbon as an everyday ski, and preferred the extra length and stiffness of the Spark, as well as the finding the Flame had a bit too much sidecut for my liking. BTW i am big and heavy and ski pretty aggressively. To be honest I was attracted to the fact that I could get 2 pairs cheaply which certainly influenced my purchase decision. I haven't tried Gotama, Maden or KArma for that matter so cant compare. In comparison an old pair of Public Enemies feel v floppy. I demoed some B2, B3, B4, Scratch BC and a coupke of the different Head Monster skis early last season and can honestly say the Movement's (especially the Spark Carbon which I skied on a lot) were my favourites. Unfortunately I was only able to take the Gladiator out on a coupke of decent powder days, but on those limited outings I was impressed with the floatation. Am looking forward to next season to try them some more....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy