Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone been to Thredbo - Australia?

Poster: A snowHead
Been invited to go in July - would be rude not to I guess.

Any useful info from SnowHeads.

Thanks
Anna
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have an ex used to ski there - she liked it.

You will probably get a load of responses if you ask on http://www.ski.com.au/
(but be prepared for a bunch of whinging cons)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been there in the (southern) summer. It rained. It takes a hell of a long time to get there from Sydney.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, time enough to watch "the Man from Snowy River" Shocked Very Happy Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, 'bout all there was to do, mate. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman wrote:
I've been there in the (southern) summer. It rained. It takes a hell of a long time to get there from Sydney.

I understood it was 5/6 hours ish - it's my best mate's 40th in Sydney so was thinking of combining the two.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Honda Kitty, you'd have more fun hopping over to unzed and hitting Mount Hutt or Treble Cone.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Honda Kitty, it was a long time ago (mid-80s), so I can't remember exactly. I know I drove to Canberra one day, sauntered around there for a bit in the morning, and drove the next day to Thredbo, which was a few hours in itself from memory - though I stopped anywhere that took my fancy. I was starting from the Sydney northern beaches, so had to cross the whole of Sydney, which in those days seemed to take forever. Possibly the city and country roads have improved a lot - it's about time I went back.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Honda Kitty, I was semi-dragged up in the Sydney area. To be honest, unless you like to collect ski resorts (and don't we all), you might find more entertainment closer to hand. E.g. the Hunter Valley wine region or the Blue Mountains are easier jaunts from Sydney.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry for the blasphemy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes. I have been. Dont leave it to late i.e September. I was going to post some Pics up but my scanner has broke.

Perisher Blue is also just around the corner . I stayed in Jindabyne (town) which is a nice local hangout. Mount Kosciuszko 2,229 M highest point on the continent is nearby.

Once you have been your realise why there are so many Ozzy's skiing in Europe & North America Very Happy

IMO If your going all that way go to NZ
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Honda Kitty, this link suggest it's about 6 hrs, presumably not allowing for meal/comfort/refuelling breaks or roadworks/accidents etc.

http://www.snowymountains.com.au/Drive_Times.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Souillac of Alpine Experience in Val d'Isere teaches in Threadbo for their winter. He is an expert off-piste ski teacher and guide. I am sure he would be happy to show a good skier like you around some of the interesting parts of Threadbo. See http://www.alpineexperience.com/guides.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info guys - nothing is certain yet - all I know is that I'm most likely to be out there mid-end June and as it's winter I may as well get some boarding in (in a top trump collecting resorts type way lol) - I'm just in the process of collecting a bunch of ideas so I can thrash out a proper plan over the next year or so...

Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Wear The Fox Hat,

Ex cons are always nicer then whinging poms
latest report
Hans, mate, I hate to disagree with a new member here (and Welcome to snowHead btw), but in my experience (both IRL and OTW) whinging cons is definitely the more common.
snow report
if you say so mate,who am i to digress

Such a sour attitude to life,a 1000 year history tends to do that
latest report
Hans, G'day mate, and welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
I've never been to Oz yet (or NZ) but definitely intend to sometime. Have you skied at Thredbo? - if so perhaps you can tell Honda Kitty about it. I've only heard of Thredbo, Perisher and Mt Buller, but don't know anything about them.
By the way, very sad news about Steve Irwin - a great bloke who did a great deal of good for conservation.
Advance Australia Fair! Toofy Grin
latest report
perisher blue- large(by oz standards) resort because it is three resorts joined into one.... I find I seem to be constantly "going somewhere" so we can ski (my friends ski mostly at perisher blue)... then we get to the run - 30 secs later we are going somewhere else... aaaarrrggghhh.... Guthega pub for lunch is a must though... just because it is Guthega pub....

Thredbo - my home resort....
smaller resort....
If you like skiing "runs" and ticking them off in your book go to perisher instead.... the fun to be had at thredbo is stuff like hunting the windblown..... if you are used to looking at aspects, wind direction etc you can plan your routes to take best advantage.... The best bits to ski are the NOT runs.... Even better ski out of the resort down top Dead Horse gap (easy cruise) ... again picking the timing for the snow is the hardest part (and NOT navigating self into the creek).... also leather barrel creek is a good run... make sure your back country skills are good for this one though.... and check with the places that know - like the Jindy shop Wilderness sports re weather etc...

my regular ski instructor grew up at perisher, teaches at thredbo, and blames perisher for his leg length discrepancy!

yes it will take you about 5.5 to 6 hours from Sydney.... easy driving though.... warning do NOT drive up on a SUNDAY... all the other bunnies are driving down on sunday afternoon - usual short fuses trying to overtake in silly places etc... evening is worse - headlights(we call it the flare run)

oops- just read the mid-end june bit in the last post....
early June - you will be skiing a puddle of man made on the beginners slopes unless you are very lucky....
July - might get better about then... July is school holidays = CROWDS.... small number of resorts and lots of people = crowds... go back country might be OK in school hols otherwise avoid if possible...
end of july snow starts to be more reliable...

june and july make sure your grass/mud/bush skiing skills are up to scratch.... August September usually not to bad... october - climb and ski grass/bushes/mud....

you will probably get less cover than this in June
http://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/thredbo5.html

laudryman is right in that there are more things to do closer.... an hour or so drive north and you are on teh central coast ... go have a surf lesson with sandra english http://www.surfcoaching.com.au/about.html - awesome surf coach! the water will probably still not be too cold in June... the warrambungles are nice.... eurobodalla coast is lovely, saphire coast is beautiful

if you want to travel hop a plane to visit uluru, kata juta or purnululu...

better still go to Melbourne and drive the Great Ocean Road...http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/12apostles/index.asp .... or Philip Island and the fairy penguins.... perhaps go to Wilsons prom http://www.promcountry.com.au/wilsons_prom.htm

despite what WTFH says there are relatively few cons in Oz... Melbourne (my home town) is the largest greek speaking city after Athens... I don't think you poms sent too many greeks down under did you? NehNeh My high school class had 32 out of 36 students with at least one parent born overseas.... and I'm OLD.... I can hardly think who i would have worked with before i left that had con ancestors...as most were non-anglosaxon... and pretty recent immigrants...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy