Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a new twin tip setup...

Poster: A snowHead
G'Day to those of you in the higher latitudes!

With the american ski season coming up I am looking to head on over as a ski instructor for a few months and I want a new pair of twin tips. I currently have a pair of the 05 model 1080's and I was looking to upgrade to either the new 1080 foil or gun. Having skid mostly in the Aussie 'spring snow' I am an expert runner but have never had much of a chance to ski in much powder or true off piste conditions. As such I have never had the chance to really try out a thick based ski like the gun. I know that they probably aren't as manouverable on the groomers but can anyone tell me anything more specific about skiing on such a bigger base and what it does to skiing on the groomers which is where I will be spending most of my time instructing. Any other tips that you have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers all!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl Karma, K2 Public Enemy, Nordica Ignition. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
he 1080 foil is pretty soft, as is the gun. I'd also suggest the public enemy or perhaps a mojo 90 if you are a resonable weight. Personally I really like the scott p3 (178cm) which I think really does excell on the groomers (16m radius which is really class leading). the teneighty gun is only 90mm in the waist which really isn't too fat for all-mountain. The karma is a great option for all-mountain as SZK has suggested. I have no idea about the nordica ignition.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Height, weight, sisters name...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sister's height, weight, photo and phone number.

Most likely the Karma or the PE for skiing. I demoed the Scott P3 and thought it would make a great instructor ski, but it's not going to be as good off-piste as the others.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Where would the Scott Santiago Mission fit into the spectrum?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, Great ski, now simply called the 'Mission', but with a waist of i think, 95mm, an instructor would probably be better on something a little less wide.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thank you. I don't have either your experience, nor, of course, an instructor's - but I am trying to sort out my next ski.

I got the impression at Castleford that the Mission would be great on powder, because of its width. But judging by the way it was reasonably easy to put onto an edge, go into fairly tight and open turns, and hold a wide GS turn as wide and as fast as I could put in at Castleford, I thought it would probably get me round all of the mountain, pretty well.

My skiing standard? Well, I don't ski extreme couloirs, and probably never will. Hardest black I have skied is the Tunnel at Alpe D'Huez, in mogully, firm (but not icy) snow conditions - and that was OK (can't say it was my favourite thing, but my skiing buddy kept insisting we do it rolling eyes. I think I skied reasonable lines through the moguls down it. I prefer skiing off-piste, and am getting to grips with deep, and reasonably steep powder. If it matters, I am 13 stone, when I way myself at the gym, and am 5ft 10. Age 60. I thought the Mission might be the ski to go for. What do you think?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, I skied the Missions for a day last season and really enjoyed them. I'm 12 stone and ski pretty hard, these skis kept up and were quite fun. Good 'grip' (whatever that is), easy to carve and stable at high speeds. I likey. For a skinny ski anyway. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, Crikey. What do you call fat?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, at a guess, triple digit waists
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Looks like the "skinny" Mission may be the model, then. 178cm? That's what I was on at Castleford, and they seemed fine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having ski'd solely on twins for the last 3 years i'm with SZK - K2 PE's or Volkl Karma, nice skis, good all round and very balanced in the park

A
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, for your size, that would be a good call.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, what Wear The Fox Hat said. Fat skis start at around 103-105mm, and 178 should be good for you.

Sorry wofftech --- back to your post--- where are you going to be teaching? Maybe keep the 1080s for teaching and get some real skis for some real skiing? I'm sure you'll have time...
ski holidays
parlor, and Wear The Fox Hat, thanks for your help.
snow conditions
Thanks for your feedback, I am actually 164cm and about 50kg - yes that means I am a lady for those of you who were asking for my sisters name and details NehNeh . The one thing that I hate though is the dodgy watered down ladies version of the skis but I have found that the size in the bigger skis is often quite limiting also. I can comfortably handle up to a 171cm but would prefer something much more my size. I also have a great deal going on the salomons its just that I don't know a whole lot about how they handle. Thanks once again!
latest report
It will be Deer Valley in Utah and also I will be instructing at Thredbo in there up and coming season next year too.
snow report
wofftech, well hello wofftech... hope my wife doesn't read this Wink

If you're in UT then you are gonna want / need bigger sticks for the good days, so I stand by my second post. Instruct on the 1080s and get something for yourself... I'm affraid I only know the longer lengths of skis so someone else will give you some more detail...

B4s
Gotama
Seths

And any other 100mm + skii that comes in shorter lengths.

PS Photos might help. Wink
snow report
the seth comes in a 169 but I think the flex varies quite a bit dependent on the size with the k2 Seth, I am pretty sure a 189 seth is very stiff in comparison. Easiski may be able to help as she herself has tried alot of skis recently including twins and she's a female instructor so should know what'll fit best.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy