Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For easiski - the Flexon is back

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
To flex the boot, one must also flex all 3 joints of the hip, knee and ankle, this will absorb most of the shock, but i would be curious to find out which buckles collide and on what brand of boot.
When a boot is flexed in a modern ski boot, the distortion in the shell around the instep area would be massive for that to happen, and if it happens often then the skier is most likely in the wrong boots, and the DIN settings wrong, if the bindings didn't let them out on a regular basis.

You are up late, if in Europe.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
East Coast US: Glen Echo, Maryland.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex wrote:

EDIT: Of course, short-legged folks need to flex further forward, too.

I don't see why on a carve ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="easiski"]LARGEZOOKEEPER, - having been forced to change during the last few years I've now managed to source several pairs of shells (revolting yellow custard colour), and after 4 years of absolute agony, am now able to ski foot pain free (almost immediately). Now you deal with racers, who are prepared to put up with it - but us regular ski teachers really can't deal with maximum pain all day long! As you know, we're in our boots for 8 or more hours a day, pretty much every day for 5 months - fit is critical, and when your perfect boot is no longer made ..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

One golden rule - If it's not broken, don't fix it Madeye-Smiley
It seems to be a common misunderstanding that racer's boots hurt! In reality nothing could be further from the truth. Racers need a tight, precise fit in order to maximise transmission and feeling to the ski which explains the need to loosen the buckles after every run. However, pain is natures way of telling you that something's wrong and as such may lead to injury and complications, some of you will remember Chemmy Alcott missing out on the best part of a season a couple of years back, this was in part due to neglecting (not her fault, I hasten to add) a problem on her 5th metatarsal head(sixth toe) which became seriously inflamed and entailed a complete break from skiing. Not an ideal situation as you can imagine. In a sport such as competitive skiing, it is of utmost importance that all concentration is used where needed, this is simply impossible when pain distracts from the main issue. On a typical training day a racer will put on their boots at 7,30am and keep them on for 4-5 hours, so they need to be confortable like anyone else.
A quick word on the following posts. I feel that the characteristics of the flexon are almost ideally matched to the needs of today's shaped skis, ie. lateral stiffness and softer, progressive flex. As to the problem of touching buckles, this does exist particularily in the smaller sizes. I have seen this many times especially with Lange boots where they are quite close together. It's not just a stiffness issue, more of a placement problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I had exactly the same problem as Chemmy, but had to carry on working .. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I agree about the placement of the buckles - the gap does vary enormously from make to make. Perhaps they're kinder to racers than way back in the dark ages now! I've certainly seen Austrian trainers getting very nasty with kids that wanted to rest due to blisters/pain whatever ... OUT!!!! was pretty much their reaction. It's only pain! I certainly raced with (obviously minor) injuries. But that's all pre-WC of course.

Glad some others don't think it's that odd that the buckles touch - Whitehorm perhaps you'd like to look at my website? I don't see that there is any less need to flex the ankle with carvers, quite the contrary, with the more forward stance, hip over balls of feet that we have now, I should say the boot is more flexed if anything, more of the time. Of course we no longer do the "squashing down" movement we used to have to make. I find the combination of Flexon and carver (I ski on Fischer World Cup SC's - 155 in case you're wondering) absolutely great. The progressive flex is what's best about the flexon though (+ fit of course). Whitehorn I have flat, narrow feet, mondo 25!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

As to the problem of touching buckles, this does exist particularily in the smaller sizes. I have seen this many times especially with Lange boots where they are quite close together. It's not just a stiffness issue, more of a placement problem.

i have seen this dozens of times on Lange, tecnica, nordica and others especially in 22 /23 shells
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy