Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie vs Jackson Hole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fernie vs Jackson Hole. It's a real toughie, so I'm going to need some help here chaps.

I guess the best way to do this is for me to explain what rocks my boat:

- steep and challenging
- good odds of getting a powder dump in a given two week window
- relatively fast lifts and lift lines
- mountain operators who don't get the hump when you ski outside the managed area
- good ski community atmosphere
- a local heliskiing operations is a bonus

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. Anything to stop the daily Jackson-Fernie seesaw!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow_gibbon, welcome to snowHead!

2 Questions:
When were you planning to go?
Where else have you been?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The date is completely flexible. Once I've decided on the location I'll dive into the historical snow records, do some sums and cross my fingers, and then pick a date!

I've skiied in mostly in the European Alps, but also have spent a season in the Southern Alps in New Zealand. My only N.American experiences have been small local east coast hills in Canada, and Whistler.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Either - steep and challenging
Either, but I'd favour JH - good odds of getting a powder dump in a given two week window
Fernie (until the new tram at JH) - relatively fast lifts and lift lines
Either - mountain operators who don't get the hump when you ski outside the managed area
Either - good ski community atmosphere
Fernie - a local heliskiing operations is a bonus

I'll throw Alta/bird into the mix for you.

Alta/bird - steep and challenging
Alta/bird - good odds of getting a powder dump in a given two week window
Alta/bird - relatively fast lifts and lift lines
Alta/bird (a lot off inbounds off piste) - mountain operators who don't get the hump when you ski outside the managed area
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not skiied the othe places mentioned but have been to Fernie twice. I'd agree with most of what Fox said, with one exception - the headwall above Face List in Fernie is closed during lift opening hours. Mostly though they're fine with people skiing anywhere
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jackson has longer steeps - big open faces like the Hobacks, Sublette and some chutes.

Fernie's steeps generally are tight chutes spilling into bowls, but also some great ridge bump runs.

Jackson faces East and South -- and surface conditions start hurting by late Feb. March is not great - ice, then slush. Ski Jackson from mid-Jan to mid-Feb.

Fernie mostly faces East. However, it is low altitude and can get get hit by a random rainstorm anytime of year. It gets a lot of snow that can cover any blemishes.

To note: Jackson's Tram is gone for the next 2 years. So there is not top-to-bottom lift. Although a bottleneck, it is useful 1-3x/day.

They both get dumped on. Grand Targhee, WY on the front-side of the Tetons gets more snow than either.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just made the choise between Fernie and a Alta+JH combo for two weeks...

Fernie ended up beeing a much cheaper option. Just JH for two weeks was out of my league price wise. Ive been to Alta 3x and although I love it I do love it I wana see something new plus that JH is really out of the question in mars.

Basicly what I came up with in my resarch.

Fernie is cheapest but has risk of rain. Best nr skiiers to lift capacity ratio.
Alta has most snow, biggest powder chance, just doing SLC is cheap as well if you live in SLC.
Snowbird is from my experience overrated and over populated.
JH has the longest rides but is most expencive and has logistical issues till new tram is built. Not even worth bothering with in mars.

Though Im sure all 3 give a fantastic vacation.

When it comes to weather you cant guarantee anything. Sure you can get a rain storm in Fernie but at the same time Ive actually experienced a very early spring in SLC on one of my trips. So its still a lottery.

Tex
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy