Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wrist guards

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone recommend any good wrist guards? the ones I have seem too flimsy to stop a wrist break.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Da Kine.

or

Level Half pipe glove/mitt with built-in wrist guard.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buzz55, Da Kine. Stopped my wrist snapping, but still ended up with it in a cast for a few weeks Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
although i wear da kine ones dont get them. you can still break your arm in ones like that.

if your going to buy them buy flexmeter ones, they are by far the best on the market and do actually work.

check out www.ski-injury.com for lots of information on wrist protection
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've always used Da kine and found they do the job nicely...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting read, the type I already have a REO wrist guards - a little too flimsy (not much resistance at all) but from your article too stiff at the joint is not good, I will keep an eye out for those Flexmeter ones. thx.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got the level ones, especially great for girls with small hands as they don't fall off and the wrist guard is really snug (doesn't move/twist on impact).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although I am a world leader in safety I have never worn wristguards and have only damaged my wrist once trying a silly kicker with a rubbish landing when I was a learner. If you can learn to fall right then you actually put your wrists at not too much risk. This does take some time and practice at falling over though, so before you get to that level it is easily possible to damage your wrists, so they make sense. I just find them very uncomfy cos I hate to feel restricted when I'm on the hill.

The way to fall is to try and land on your elbows/forearms and as you fall make your hands into fists - sounds obvious but I didn't think of it to start off with till someone explained it to me, also it can be tricky to think of at the time you are falling but with a few falls it becomes habit, and a very good one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thx. I've never fallen on my wrists, I was shown the elbows/forearms fall in my first ever lesson which i've used to good effect but occasionally you might loose your balance and put an arm out to steady yourself and i believe it's then if you fall that way you would be at risk. anyway I will stick with what I got at the moment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never fallen/hurt my wrists either, but I've hurt my knee, butt & head, so I'm not taking any risks.

It's a long time since I have hurt myself as I now look like a participant in Rollerball!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got da kine guards and like them a lot, but putting them on and then fitting the gloves over is a PITA.

The next time I need new gloves I get a pair of Level with integrated guards, which are much easier to get on & off.

And I never had a motorcycle accident where I fell on my head or hands, and I still wear a helmet and gloves while riding.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buzz55, Buy wrist supports from a pharmacy which are designed to protect wrists recovering from a break and then buy a pair of gloves of your choice that fit over them, I am told by someone in the trade that this solution is better than anything available on the market!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wrist guards in gloves or mitts tend to be much better than the dakine wrist guards because these were designed for skating. They are good for protecting your hand when you wipe out on tarmac but do not stop the type of injury you get when snowboarding ie when your wrist gets bent backwards.

We do not have Level gloves at the moment (so I can not comment on these) but the gloves and mitts we sell all have 2 splint style wrist guards per glove - one for each side of the wrist. You then strap them down. Everyone says they work really well. We get loads of positive feedback about them. They are much more comfy than searate wrist gaurds and after a while you forget you are wearing them. Also, you can take them out if you want to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a broken wrist at the moment courtesy of snowboarding. I was wearing Dakine wrist guards. I have subsequently heard that they short rigid wrist guards such as Dakine are not a good as the longer more flexible ones such as Flexmeter so I am changing brand for next time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
buzz55, learn to fall with your hands clenched and your arms crossed at the wrist over your chest and above yer boobs and stop reaching out to stop a fall. A local gym club can teach you how and give you lots of practice. Wrist guards are meant to be a support, not a cast, and need to bend. Rigid metal guards just transfer the forces to your hands and lower arm bones that have far less strength and flexibility than the wrist joint. A really big stack will break bones and guards will not stop that. learning to fall properly might.
snow report
Masque, i have to agree.. all this body armour that is sold will not help in a big stack.. how much extra protection can a piece of plastic provide over and above the natural strength of your bones and muscles anyway..? in percentage terms..? if they do any good at all....
to be truly effective they would have to be really rigid or get progessivly more rigid as they bend (that would cost loads and probably be several inches thick).. if they are rigid enough and long enough to protect your wrist then would you be more likely to break your fingers or your arm?..
plus body armour can instill a false sense of security.. do what masque suggests get used to falling over..
the only padding i can say that would ever be of any use is on your back bottom whilst your learning
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, I wear body armour for the simple fact that I'm old and heavy and by that, inertial forces are increased exponentially. Armour has no effect on bending or twisting forces but it does spread and reduce point impact forces and allows me the opportunity to recover in control from a heavy fall. I treat it as support rather than protection when I do fall . . . the real trick is to practice not falling in the first place rolling eyes
snow report
Masque, i used to make the boy wear full body armour after he broke his shoulder and dislcoated the elbow in the same arm. We ended up decapetating the body armour after speaking to a physio here in Briancon to see if it would actually stop him rehurting that bone. The physio said basically no it wouldn't make any difference. So now the boy just wears it for the back protector.
ski holidays
I fall all the time cos I am always trying new things, I am so used to it that I very rarely hurt myself. I wore impact shorts for the whole of last seasons but not for the 2 previous. They basically saved me a couple of dead bums but I found them pretty comfy and nice and warm on the cold days.

Also I dont think people should wear too much armour and then think of themselves as invincible so they are actually more likely to do stuff that will make them fall/crash. It is a sport that has a certain amount of danger and as far as I can see thats part of the enjoyment of it, the only way to remove the danger is to not snowboard.
snow conditions
mista, you have two bums? Shocked
latest report
Lizzard, explains the baggy pants.

It's horses for courses, if I'm tooling round on the piste all day and I'm pretty certain it's a hero snow day and I'm not going to try to play in the trees then not even impact shorts are worn. If I don't know where I'm going or its hard and icy then it's impact shorts and jacket. The only thing I do in a park is bleed.

mista, The older you get, the lower you bounce . . . you'll learn wink
snow report
the only day i didn't wear my compression shorts was on my wedding day, and when i fell in the pow on that day oh boy did i know about it!

I will always wear them now!
snow report
No I have several bums, 2 more than I would have if I didn't buy impact shorts though. Buying them all cost me a fair whack but worth it in the long run I'm hoping.

I had a season ending fall earlier this year, I didn't bounce very high or lose any impact on landing by sliding, all speed at impact was multipied by my number of bums and turned directly into pain. It hurt. I would have had to be wearing one of those 'fat suits' for it not to have hurt. I did something weird in the air and lost all sense of where I was until I landed bizzarely, the vast majority of my falls are very controlled and I normally end up rolling up onto my feet again somehow.
snow conditions
snowangel., Laughing

So far, I've never fallen on my wrists (famous last words) but I always wear impact shorts and kneepads, takes the sting out of the spills, and nice and warm, too.

I really missed the kneepads when I lent them to a friend who was learning last time - I don't fall on them much, but when you are kneeling to face uphill to see where everyone's got to, they are super comfortable. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy