Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel Les Campanules in Tignes Le Lac

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about booking there Dec 19th to 26th, Anyone stayed there and able to comment on it? One key question is how big a walk to which lift?

As a follow on, we'd really like to stay in Val Claret (rather then Tignes Le Lac) to be near the furnicular etc, so can anyone recommend a nicely situated hotel?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, I've never stayed there but it is close to the bus station in Le Rosset and the buses are very regular. Alternately I think you have a short ski down to the Lavachet (sp?) chair that will drop you up on piste H(blue) and from there an easy (warm-up) slide down to the railhead at Val Claret. I'm not sure if you can ski back that way as the hill behind Le Rosset is Ste Shocked ep.
I used to stay with Dragon Lodge in Val C but they've moved down the valley to a bigger chalet. Good luck though
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Masque, We are wondering whether it is possible to walk back from Val Claret to Tignes Le Lac? There appears to be a road, but it's hard to tell. If not, or if it's a long walk (>20 mins) the piste map (and your comment above) makes it look like we would need to take a lift up the other side and ski back down (say) anenome to get back at the end of the day?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, from val claret to le lac you could take a chair up to Toviere and ski down the black (trolles - not a hard black), or come down in the aeroski. Altenatively you could go up the other side (Tichot, Gratallu, Grand huit etc) where it is all blues. It is a long walk down the road (but not done it), but as Masque says, there is a regular free bus service down it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan, You can walk around the lake (or on it, if it's frozen hard), but I wouldn't want to do this in ski boots (more than 20 minutes). There is a fairly frequent shuttle which would be easier than walking, although it does get a bit busy at 'rush hour'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan, It's not a walk I'd take, it's a busy road and the buses are fast and regular, Take Ray Zorro's, route back and you're on some lovely and usually very quiet pistes back to Le Lac since the glacier has some sort of magnetic pull and turns into a giant rugger scrum wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, just for further info, what are the bars and restuarants at Tignes Le Lac like? We stayed at Val D, and visited Val Claret a few time last Christmas but never got down to le Lac so can't picture it. The Campanules doe slook nice though, and they can fit us in on the (slightly odd) dates we want to travel (19th - 26th Dec). Thanks again for the info.

P.S. rob@rar.org.uk, thanks also for the suggestion for Les Arcs at Easter. we have booked a week with MFC, they seem very nice and helpful. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman,
Two minute walk to nearest lifts, bus stop, decent bars.
Free bus to Val Claret & back (stops 1 min walk from funicular). Runs all night - ask your hotel for a timetable.
Walk from VC to le Lac is 20 mins by road, 12-15 mins across the lake (assumming you are reasonably sober).

I spent last season in accommodation 50 yards from Les Campanules - it is the most central location in Tignes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan, excellent. We'll probably be there at Easter as well - pop down to our apartment and there'll be a cold beer waiting for you Smile

There's a range of apres-ski places in le Lac, probably much the same as in Val Claret but not as many (or as lively) as Val d'Isere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, Yes, we skied some of those blues last Christmas, as well as the reds down from Les Lanches and as you say they were much quieter than the runs over by Val D (better snow too) which is why we want to be over that side this time. Sounds like with a combination of bus/scenic route back Le Lac is looking good!

Ray Zorro, You're right about trolles. We just remebered that it was the first black that Eric from Topski took us down last year. We didn't realise it was a black until we'd got down it! (probably just as well Very Happy)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenzie, Thanks for that. I think we're convinced - The menu and facilities at Les Campanules looked great, just wanted to be sure we weren't stuck too far out. All the comments above are very reassuring!

rob@rar.org.uk, Sounds good to me! Might even have a bottle of something warming in my back-pack! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just another thought - has anyone ever taken a taxi from Chambery to Tignes? We are probably going to self-drive but wondered if anyone knew the costs of a taxi?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, here are some prices from a firm based in Bourg St Maurice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Rob, er I think we'll drive!

(I assume that the 260 Euros figure is each way)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AxsMan, I think it might be for a return journey. NBT used this company for a private transfer from Chambery to Les Arcs last year and I think it cost him around 200€ for the return journey, so a bit extra for the longer journey up to Tignes might be around 260€. But don't take my word for it!
ski holidays
AxsMan, sorry, that's duff info I just gave you. NBT paid approx 200 each way from Chambery to Les Arcs, so 260 each way for Tignes is probably correct. Hiring a car does at least mean a bit of extra flexibility to drive down the Tarantaise valley to ski in the world's best ski resort Wink
latest report
AxsMan, my son and I drove from Birmingham to Tignes last Easter. Did it in one day and stayed at Les Campanules for 9 nights. The hotel bedroom was reasonable, the food very nice and the staff very pleasant indeed. The hotel's leisure facilities were fine (liked the swimming pool). The location is good. However, the path/short cut (avoiding the road from the front of the hotel) from the boot room to the lifts can be treacherous. We took a tip from from a regular guest and hired our skis from the shop at the bottom of this path and stored them at the shop overnight - very accommodating!
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
to drive down the Tarantaise valley to ski in the world's best ski resort Wink
you'll need bulletproof or fireproof pants for that one wink
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
to drive down the Tarantaise valley to ski in the world's best ski resort Wink
you'll need bulletproof or fireproof pants for that one wink

I was, of course, referring to La Rosiere. Endless sunshiine, bottomless snow, queue-free lifts, etc Wink
snow conditions
Colin Bell, thanks for that - good info.

rob@rar.org.uk, no worries thanks for all your help.

Just booked easyjet flights Luton to Grenoble rather than BHX to Chambery as including Ski Carriage they were £140 for the two of us (i.e.half price compared to Flybe. So it will be car hire from Grenoble and I guess around 2.5 hour drive but who cares?

Tignes here we come! Very Happy

What's with all the refernces (that I notice keep popping up) to La Rosiere? Private Joke?
snow report
AxsMan, La Rosiere basks in the golden glow from the aft-side of the Tarentaise wink
snow report
Masque, er, thanks (I think) That didn't help much, but since asking my dumb question I have trawled a few threads and think I get the general picture. I'm sure it's a very lovely resort indeed. and If I ever visit I know where to go for accommodation....
snow conditions
AxsMan

Stayed there last year and had a great week ( would go back again) summary in this thread. Colins point about the "path " out the back being bad is something I didn't note ( but I ice climb - so things like that don't always register with me ! :0 )

Steve
ski holidays
You're right about trolles. We just remebered that it was the first black that Eric from Topski took us down last year. We didn't realise it was a black until we'd got down it! (probably just as well

One of our favourite blasts is to schuss from trolles from after the bumps as there is a long flat at the end of trolles. When and if I ever lose the edge it will not be pretty
ski holidays
stevepick,

Thanks, Have booked now at Campanules for 7 nights from 19th to 26th December. Hotel were very helpful and communicative, and have arranged 6 day lift passes for 135 Euro's each (tignes website llists these at 192.50!). Also offered car parking at no extra charge. Looking forward to it!
ski holidays
AxsMan, that's a big discount on the lift pass. Is it for the full Espace Killy domain?
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:

One of our favourite blasts is to schuss from trolles from after the bumps as there is a long flat at the end of trolles. When and if I ever lose the edge it will not be pretty

Dan,
Did this early last season, mainlined the Trolles from big lefthander towards le Lac - impresive starfish from approx 3/4 way down the slope!
ski holidays
at least you are alive to tell the tail. I do try and avoid doing it when people are traversing across
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, Yes I double checked with them because I thought it was too cheap. It's for the full Espace Killy domain. (We both have passes from last year, so could get the 10% discount this year, but the hotel discount is worth more. I also asked (well you have to try Very Happy) whether we could get the 10% loyalty discount on their price (i.e. save another 13.50 Euros) but sadly this was not possible Smile They did say that their discount varied from week to week, and at some weeks they could not offer any, but (as we already knew), the week leading up the Christmas day is relatively quiet, so I guess that helps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy