Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking at this area for a possible group holiday in March 2007. Any comments?
Has anyone been to Chalet Shufu?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
olliew, the PDS is my favourite area. Excellent for mixed groups.

Never heard of Shufu...where is it?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More specifically I'm looking at Saint Jean d'Aulps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch wrote:
olliew, the PDS is my favourite area. Excellent for mixed groups.

Never heard of Shufu...where is it?

Saint Jean d'Aulps
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
olliew, SJd'A is a little out of the main circuit so definitely needs a car (unless your hosts will chauffeur you around?) The local skiing is allegedly great on a powder day (cos no-one ever skis there) but I've never skied it. IIRC it's not on the main PDS lift pass.

If you are in SJd'A then l'Amandier is a fine restaurant and yuo'll probably spend considerable time in Bar Nationale (aka "the Nash").
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, That's enough for me, i'm out of here! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
olliew, we stayed at the chalet Shufu for a week as a late summer break a couple of years ago. The chalet is lovely, the hosts excellent and the food spot on.

Location wise it's a bit hit and miss. A 10 minute journey to the main PDS skiing area, or just a few minutes up to SJA. For evening entertainmnmet there's a couple of fairly lively bars in the local village (5 mins walk), failing that Morzine is 10 mins away and has more entertainment - I'm not sure what time the buses stop running though so that could be worth checking.

If your group are happy spending nights in the chalet rather than hitting the bars ... and don't mind the daily travel to the slopes then I'm sure you'd have a good time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went two years, ago first week in march and wouldn't go again at that time (I stayed in chatel, skied chatel-> avoriaz, morgins, over to the swiss side champery is it?). I found I needed a bus and/or walking to get to ski in the morning, a lot of queues at main links and large portions of the runs had pretty poor snow conditions. Avoriaz and the swiss side were ok snowwise but chatel and morgins were in a pretty nasty state, as was the link towards avoriaz.

Horses for courses though - it is very pretty in places, food is good and I liked the big circuit and the novelty of crossing the border all the time Wink Just not something I'm anxious to do again in a hurry - snow conditinos and convienience are paramount for me.

aj xx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajhainey, don't judge a system on one week. If you had only been there the week before you went... amazing deep powder and 6 feet of snow on the Morzine roundabout.

If you stay in Chatel you will be on a bus. Stay in Avoriaz for convenience.

Morgins is the Swiss side Puzzled and most of the Swiss side is at least partially south facing. Man, you should see that white stuff melt in spring sunshine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
olliew, from what I can see on the net, the Shufu is actually in St Jean d'Aulps, rather than being in the associated ski area of "The Grand Terche", which is a good 5 minutes up hill by car from St Jean d'Aulps itself.

To say that Grand Terche offers "limited piste skiing" is somewhat an understatement. But what piste there is is terribly underused (except Wednesday afternoons when all the local school kids are on the piste). I had a rather pleasant afternoon blasting down the main run down to the bottom one afternoon in early March. Just me, my three companions and the snow. Where else could you try carving turns with your eyes shut?

It does, I'm told, offer some rather superb off-piste. I just need to find someone to show me the way down...

And it is on the main PDS lift ticket.

On their web site at http://www.lechaletholiday.com they mention "10 minutes to the most central and comparatively quiet lift in the entire ski system" - by which they mean the lift at Ardent. Ardent is "the local's lift" as you need a car to get there. It really is the best lift in the system as you have a choice of turning right at the top and going over to Avoriaz; going straight up and over into Switzerland; left and over into Linga or staying in the Linderats bowl and eating tarte tintin at the Pomme de Pin (if Carlsberg made tarte tintin...).

Their site also mentions that they'll drop you off and pick you up where you want - so if you don't mind the minibus in the first place then you can't really go wrong.

ajhainey, have to agree with David Murdoch - Chatel isn't the best place from which to explore the PDS. The link clockwise is via south facing slopes that can be (errrr) "thin" even after the best snow, followed by shed loads of drag lifts in the Swiss sector. And the link anti-clockwise to the lovely Linga area is by bus. Frankly, I find the whole of Chatel a little strange - who on earth though of building a ski resort actually on the side of the hill would be a good idea anyway?

I would, however, disagree with David Murdoch - l'Amandier isn't fine. It's superb. Probably the best restaurant in the whole area. (Unless anyone knows somewhere I've not found yet...? Have I missed somewhere David?)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Ardent is "the local's lift" as you need a car to get there.

There is (or was?) a bus service that runs to Ardent, not sure if it continues down to St Jean d'Aulps or terminates in Morzine. From memory they are every hour but they stop for a few hours in the middle of the day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, too true masmith - I stand corrected. I'm clearly going all "car centric" in my old age.

The bus runs from the centre of Morzine, via Montriond and up to Ardent. If memory serves they are more frequent than once an hour, but they do finish relatively early - around 19:00 or 19:30.

(If there's one thing I'd change about Morzine it's that the buses stop running too early.)

There is a bus from St Jean d'Aulps to Morzine - but none of the local buses appear to be that good...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really - when we were there everyone was raving about the fantastic conditions - so I assumed it was a good week for the resort. That aside the point is that if lots of people give their opinions of the 1 week they spent there then you get a nice balanced view overall. If everyone only post on places they have been to for 4 or 5 weeks we'd never get any answers at all! I've had friends stay in morzine (the previous year) and have exactly the same experience (although they mainly complained about walking) with both snow and convienience so thought it was worth while posting.

I do know morgins is the swiss side btw, just bad phrasing on my part due to last minute edit. Anyway, I'll remeber only to post nice positive reports in future wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajhainey, that's better, we don't want anyone off the party line now do we? wink But seriously, surely it is always worth posting...even just so I can rush to the defence?

PhillipStanton, I've only eaten at L'Amandier once so am not an expert - I bow to your opinion. However, I am at least a dedicated amateur at La Terrasse in Lindarets. I reckon it has to be one of the best on-mountain restos I've eaten in - it's my favourite in the area..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajhainey, it makes me wonder - were the "everyone" seasonal workers? Because you tend to forget about the bad bits and recall the good bits when you're there for the season - as opposed to noticing the disappointing elements when it's a rare and greedily coveted holiday. Or, to put it another way, conditions might generally be excellent, were great the week before, aren't great this week but are forecast to be brilliant next week, therefore on "average"...

If I am correct in my recollection, I was there one weekend in the most amazing snow and a out a week later it had been very warm and it had all melted. Could hardly believe the difference.

Rather like the survey last winter where Chamonix was rated the most disappointing resort. I suspect that's to do with mis-managed expectations...
ski holidays
Hi David Murdoch, I've not tried La Terrasse, but will ensure that I do so early in the season. If it's good then praise shall be suitably heaped on you. And if not, then you'll be hunted down mercilessly by the gastronmic police...

I do, also, maintain a separate reference point for on and off mountain dining. If La Terrasse comes close to L'Amandier and is on the mountain then... NehNeh

Have you tried Chez Nannon perchance? I ask because it would provide a useful reference point. If not, then I must arrange an introduction...

I must admit ajhainey that I've not yet been to Chatel and been impressed by the conditions. Even when conditions have been superb in Morzine they've been less than inviting in Chatel. I've yet to go to Chatel and not regret wasting the conditions elsewhere. But if you're gonna do the circuit, you're gonna do the circuit...

I'd also agree that Morzine itself is far from and "easy" resort to choose accommodation in. An awful lot of it is either up a ruddy great big hill, or a bit of a trek to the lifts. I'd recommend anyone who's going to either take a car and "be French" (i.e. drive to the lifts) or stay somewhere where they take you to the lifts.

But the weather and conditions have never really been any worse overall than anywhere else I've skied. Even allowing for the rosey-eyed tinge of apartment ownership...
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Francois (Chez Nannon) is a top bloke and a mate (sorry, I should clarify. He recognises me when I tip up, we don't exactly go off on binges together.). See Story below...

Although I haven't eaten in the Sanctum Sanctorum for a couple of seasons (i.e. in the kitchen).

Entirely off topic, where do you direct your guests (?), friends, etc. for servicing and hire?

My 2nd Favourite Chez Nannon story...

So there we are, having phoned to establish opening hours.

And had an extremely fine lunch...

Francois tips up at table with, "you realise the last cable car down leaves in 30 minutes?"

Brother Jim says, "no worries, we'll ski down."

Francois (for it is he), suggests, "But there's no snow after 1,200 metres!"

Brer. Jim, "no worries!"

15 mins later I am following chum down by the light on the sparks from his skis...wicked!
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, must meet for a beer this season I would suggest?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, a beer is a good idea indeed. We're out at various times before the season - and from early December - I'll PM you dates.

We managed "Sanctum Sanctorum" once last season - but only because they'd lost our booking, but remembered having taken it (so bad is my French - the locals talk about it for days afterwards...)

For servicing and hire we have a number of "recommendations" that depend on the friend / guest and the effort we're willing to put in for them...

Platinum option involves me lending them a pair of my skis and slaving over a hot file and wax iron. It's not big. It's not pretty. But it's free. I also seem to do a reasonably good job of servicing, but I really must get some training...

Gold option is Gravier Sports. A lovely, lovely shop, but one that is soooo popular that we've not yet reached the status of "recognised" and, hence, able to buck the queue. Nevertheless, we take people there because Mr Gravier is so nice. So - good for rentals, but unpredictable for servicing.

Silver option is the Carribu Sports, where our mate Dave works. They have a good range of skis of "better skis" at reasonable prices. Good all round - but a pain to park outside of.

Bronze option is the Twinner shop (whose name I can't be bothered to learn) - first shop on the right on the long drag in from Thonon. Reasonable prices and very, very quick service.

Most people get "bronze" service because we're usually in a rush to get on the slopes Toofy Grin
latest report
Avoriaz is a great resort I have been many times and as it is one of the highest in the PDS region the condtions are quite often superb. I have stayed in Avoriaz many times and always had a great holiday. I have stayed in accomodation provided byhtttp://www.avoriazlets.com the accomodation was of a high standard and a good price as well
latest report
Hi,

Don't know Chalet Shufu but if its a small group then try www.aroundthealps.co.uk We had a fantastic weeks skiing in six feet of snow last year the couple who ran it were great hosts that dropped you off in the morning outside the lift and picked up in the evening from which ever bar you staggered out of. The food is fabulous and we are not easy to please so it helped that they are both chefs. The chalet is new with large rooms in St. Jean d’Aulps which is about 10 min from Morzine and minutes Terche which for the week that we were there, had brilliant off pieste conditions. From someone who has always skied Val, Tignes and the Three valleys this was real find and for us in the North, only three hours door to door.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads Larry G - and welcome to the PDS!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy