Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To BS or not to BS?

Poster: A snowHead
A question sometimes worth pitching to people who sell ski equipment, not that any of them ever BS.

Admittedly I used to sell ski equipment: Hanson boots, Tecnica and Nordica boots, Hexcel skis, Kastle and Rossignol skis, Spademan bindings, Salomon and Look bindings etc. etc. I admit that we used to spin a yarn or two, but most people left the shop with a beam on their face. When we sold an all-American set of Hexcel skis, Spademan bindings and Hanson boots it was known as a 'royal flush' because it was the most expensive combo available. This was not unknown, several times, on a busy Saturday. It was an era when, relatively speaking, more ski equipment was sold in Britain than at any time in history.

Ski equipment historians will be able to deduce when I sold ski equipment. It was probably before you were side-slipping around in your mother's womb.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hanson boots? Wow! Between the ages of around 7 until about 15 I soooo coveted a pair.

Never wanted Hexcel skis though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I don't mind admitting that I've served my time, a few years ago now, on the Snow n Rock ski sales rack. SnR have a reasonable sales training team, and while the emphasis is a little 'sales' heavy, on the whole it's balanced, less BS, more marketing speak. And we all know there can be plenty of BS in marketing literature, some makes me smile, some makes me grimace and some actually catches my attention.

With regard to ski sales in shops, as opposed to marketing, it depends on who you get in the shop, some may use BS, others won't need too. I normally recommend speaking to the 'equipment manager', this person has usually actually used the products and can be very helpful. The saturday boys (and girls) 'tend' to be less experienced and rely a little more on the 'sales pitch' they've been taught.

In the 100s of pairs of skis I've sold I can say, hand on heart, none through the use of 'BS'. They've all been sold because of knowledge and enthusiasm... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one, parlor.

Talking of 'Saturday boys' we used to have a half-Polish film director in our shop who'd sell several 'royal flushes' in a day, when he was on a roll. Unbelievably good 'salesman'!

One problem to watch for in ski shops is the 'what's in stock' situation, when you get sold 'what's in stock', rather than what's best for you. In terms of skis it can become 'what's in length'.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quite the opposite here, a frank and often shocking reality in terms of what is what. However, should the client use his ears and mouth in disproportion, "We have some Salomon skis that will do just the job out the back!" Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, Infact should i hear the guys using Marketting terms during the sale of skis, they ski Salomon all winter! Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Georges Salomon. Top bloke! Met him a few times - talk about cunning.

Having made a massive fortune from nothing (his dad began making ski edges in 1947), he'd built a worldwide empire of factories and distribution companies (this was 1990, when he launched the first ski) ... but he drove around in a beaten-up old Renault. "When the staff see me driving this they demand lower salaries".
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are Salomon skis c**p then? Puzzled Why?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, When you buy a chocolate bar, do you prefer a Snickers or a Crunchie?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Sorry I didn't sleep well last night so I'm still not with this. At the risk of stepping on a landmine and getting my foot blown off I'll say Crunchie (tho' I have been known to buy a Marathon as I still call them)(click) Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, So, do you feel cheated when you buy your Crunchie at the same price as your Marathon, yet the Marathon is; solid and full of interesting stuff, where as the Crunchie; is light, hollow and unsubstantal, albiet tasty?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't stand Marathon bars. (or Snickers). Not sure if you can compare the two purely on density - I think you might see that you get a bigger (lxwxh) Crunchie for the same price - and that they are closer to the same weight for the price.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I admit that we used to spin a yarn or two, but most people left the shop with a beam on their face.

....and there's us Snowheads thinking you were a paragon of virtue, an earnest and incorruptible seeker after the truth. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, he used to be a journo

Edit:
I wish to modify this comment to point out that there are several professions between journalism and politicians, and that not all journalists should be tarred with the same printer's ink. This post in no way states what his current job is, as I am not aware of that. All I know is that he USED to be a journalist. Perhaps he still is.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 30-08-06 14:15; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
they are just behind politicians in the "paragon of virtue, an earnest and incorruptible seeker after the truth" stakes Laughing

A long way behind, in my limited experience Wink
snow conditions
There's a whole host of professions in between, like say estate agents, second hand car salesmen, dealership salesmen, etc.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
halfhand, So, do you feel cheated when you buy your Crunchie at the same price as your Marathon, yet the Marathon is; solid and full of interesting stuff, where as the Crunchie; is light, hollow and unsubstantal, albiet tasty?

Just to go back to this - when you buy a Snickers, you are buying a Snickers, and when you buy a Crunchie, you know you are buying a Crunchie, not a Snickers.

The problem is more like you want a Snickers bar, so you pick one up, cause the wrapper says it's a Snickers. Then you get home and find out it's a Mars bar inside - basically the same thing, but doesn't have the NUTS...
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I want this clear and in Dark Chocolate! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
veeeight, lawyers, accountants, James Blunt...

(OK, James Blunt isn't a profession, but when I think of scum, his name just seems to fit in to the list...)
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, this one might work better.. it's the difference between a white chocolate Magnum, and Mr Whippy's '99 with chocolate sprinkles on it, that he put on using the same hand he picks his nose with.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, You think halfhand, has got the DRIFT'er'? Laughing
ski holidays
I heard a Wispa that this thread's getting quite Flakey.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER...comparing a Yorkie you've had in the fridge for a day, with a Curly Wurly you left on the dashboard of the car in the sun...
snow report
FenlandSkier, I was REVELing in it for a MOMMENT but then i was BOUNTY. Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
Mmm, skis made entirely of Highland Toffee bars could be the new big thing. On snow they'd be quite firm but at the end of the day back at the chalet you could just stand them by the fire til they go floppy and either roll them up to use again or just eat them. Liquorice sticks for poles would add to the overall concept.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, don't try and Fudge the issue, restock the zoo this season with new staff, a Lion and a Penguin should do it.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, A twix would have made alot more sense, all weve done is talk MONO-SKI! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snack attack
snack attack
if anyone has a pair of magnum sticks lying around can you send them to me - i need powder skis
snow report
But lots and lots of punters I mean accomplised intermediate skiers are perfectly happy with Crunchies Wink
ski holidays
Snack Attack, look on ebay for a skiing action man or barbie doll, that should get you a full set of kit.
latest report
Now, getting back to the question in hand.

Does the salesman's BS cancel out the punters "I'm an advanced skier" BS? Meaning the punter gets sold Salomon and feels good as he's skiing the same Crunchie as everyone else, so he's happy in his herd?
ski holidays
 snack attack
snack attack
FenlandSkier, id like to have an action hamsterman. do they exist Puzzled
its hard being a hamster all on her own...
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Sounds like were getting ready for the perfect 'Death Match'. Tag Team? Laughing
snow report
David Murdoch, to a point, yes.
latest report
Salomon's problem was that Georges Salomon was taking a back seat (not skiing-wise, though I never saw the cunning dog on skis) from the late 1980s. By the time the ski was launched in 1990, their marketing had overplayed their production integrity.

The highpoint of Salomon's career was the development of the rear-entry boots. 6-8 years of full-out R+D magic in the second half of the 1970s, through to the early 80s.

Fox, what makes you say I'm not a journalist? Or imply that I've no integrity?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
Fox, what makes you say I'm not a journalist?

Actually, David, I didn't say that.

I did say:

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
he used to be a journo

Now, if I had said "he is no longer a journo" or "he is not one now", then I would be making a statement that I am not in the position to make. I do not know exactly what you are doing currently. But I do know that in the past, you were a journo, so that is what I said - you USED to be one. That doesn't rule out the possibility that you might still be one.
You might argue that old journos never dies, they just lose their circulation.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
You might argue that old journos never dies, they just lose their circulation.

Laughing
snow report
These were your words, Your Excellency:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Latchigo, he used to be a journo, and as far as I remember, they are just behind politicians in the "paragon of virtue, an earnest and incorruptible seeker after the truth" stakes Laughing

It wasn't a true or fair remark, because it also implied a lack of integrity on my part. I'll take almost anything on the chin .... but not stuff like that.

Specify any transgression and we can discuss it.

[Edit: I understand that the posting quoted above has been edited. Thank you and best wishes]
[Edit 2: Your Excellency, I've now had a look at the qualification to the post, but the original wording remains. I'd appreciate it if you'd specify any shortfall in anything written so we can discuss it - if that's what you're implying. Thanks]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 30-08-06 13:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ah the old journalistic integrity debate ! That takes me back.

David Goldsmith, I like your use of a first name* to give someone a dressing down - but a surname is more effective.

It may be a bit retro though :-

'Bend over Goldsmith. This hurts me more than it hurts you ! '

Yours Faithfully

The Scarlet Pimpernel

*subsequently edited, by the time I posted this

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 30-08-06 13:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy