Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC Okanagan Ski Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone! I'm a new user, and a devoted skier getting excited for the ‘07 season. I’m in the midst of planning a family reunion style ski trip that – for logistical reasons – has to be in the BC interior. Not as far East as Kicking Horse, Fernie, etc. I’m thinking this basically leaves me with Big White, SilverStar and Sun Peaks.

A bit about me: I’m an advanced/expert skier. Some of my fave places include skiing the ridge at Taos, Whistler peak on a powder day, and the bowls at Kicking Horse. I also appreciate a nice blue, but it doesn’t make my skis sing in quite the same way.

Now here’s my question: I know Big White, SilverStar and Sun Peaks cater more to “family” type skiing than more gnarly stuff. But which one has the most challenging terrain of the three? We’re going to be there for 5/6 days – which of these resorts will keep me and my skis entertained the best? I don’t care about nightlife – just good snow, some steeps, bumps – fun stuff.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give – including where they’d stay with a large group (8 people). We’re going to be there early January, so good early snow conditions are a big bonus.

THANKS!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi BCgal, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Of those three resorts you'll find the more challenging terrain at Silver Star and there should be enough there to keep you happy for 5 or 6 days. I must say that I haven't visited SS but have been to BW & SP - but only didn't go to SS as I knew it was aimed at more advanced skiers. I can't advise you where to stay but there a few on here who are regulars of the Okanagan resorts, hopefully they'll be along to help or you can ask over at www.epicski.com which has more American/Canadian experts.

Enjoy wherever you end up! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCgal, Welcome to snowHead We normally go to Whistler but we took a little trip to Silver Star last season - we were in Whistler for 3 months and thought we'd go on a skiing holiday Laughing Anyway, we went over there late March and it was definitely spring skiing - a bit hard in the morning then softening up by the afternoon. The backside of SS is the most challenging with lots of double blacks. Big, solid, ungroomed bumps are not my cup of tea at all so we avoided them until later in the week when they were much softer and tried a few of the runs then. You won't be short of a challenge I don't think but if we go again we'd like to go earlier in the season as the powder is meant to be amazing.

What struck us most was the lack of alpine. When you get off the Summit chair it's like getting off Garbanzo without being able to see Whistler Bowl. That's it, no mountain above you. But then when it's snowing on Whistler mountain, my favourite places are near or in the trees - Franz's meadow, Ho Chi Min trail, Club 21, Bear Paw, Seppo's, Fuel Tanks and the like.

Sorry, but I can't comment on BW or SP but as Cathy said, you'll find more people in the know on www.epicski.com.

Hope you have a great time wherever you go. We're off to Whistler again, and are planning mid January (4.5 months to go! Very Happy )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BCgal,

Quote:

I’m thinking this basically leaves me with Big White, SilverStar and Sun Peaks.

Not necessarily. You might think about Red Mountain (Rossland BC): A smallish hill, but some really challenging terrain, and renowned for the quality of its tree skiing.

It's situated just N of the 49th parallel, and most easily accessible via a local airport at Castlegar. Not as easy to get to by road from Vancouver as BW, SS or SP though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Acacia - I've been to Red Mountain and loved it. I wouldn't mind the drive, but I think it's a bit too far a trip for some of our guests to make. No one wants to fly, or that would be an awesome option.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry always passed through the Okanagan - I like the choice of Whistler peak on a powder day - 300 yahoos waiting for patrol clearance then those crazy straightliners off the first chair. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy