Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know i will be booking a boarding holiday for myself and 5 friends to Meribel on the 3/2/07 - but i need some advice.

I have been looking in all the main brochures and internet sites for a chalet with good food, walking distance to main lfts (ten mins or less) and the same for centre of town for bars/shops etc (less than 10 mins) with flights and transfer included.

Can anyone reccomend somewhere like this, budget is about £650 - £700pp

has anyone stayed in the Hotel Grangettes by La Chaudanne and is this the area i should be looking to stay in!?

Can anyone tell me where abouts 'Dicks Tea bar' is in town please, as one chalet says its on the main road by this bar, however im not sure how far away this is from the centre...

Any help or ideas on chalets would be great.. i would really appriciate it!!

Thanks
Dan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
iceman_louis, Dicks is on the way into town so if u stay near there you'll probably need to catch the bus to the Chaudanne in the morning as it would be a bit of a walk.......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant quite decide on the best area to stay in... the centre or the 'musillon' area - as this is where most of the chalets seem to be?!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
iceman_louis, La Chaudanne is where all Méribel's main lifts depart and ski schools meet. Just about ideal I would think. Dick's is back down the hill towards the entrance of the resort, the supermarket is down that way as well.

A load of chalets here:

http://www.merinet.com/listings/Meribel/Chalets/4/ALL/ALL/ALL
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Brian, excellent link there!!
i take it these dont come with flights and transfers though!?

Thanks
Dan
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone ever stayed in La Savoy in Meribel!?
that looks ok...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iceman_louis, if you need to arrange your own transfer then with a group of 6 a private one may be pretty economical - I've used http://www.3vt.co.uk/ and found them excellent.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in Les Grangettes a few years ago.

Location is superb. Breakfast OK, dinner was very good.

Bedrooms varied in size, so be careful which one you book.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
excellent info on Les Grangettes thanks, just worried it looked like a 'hole' in the pictures i saw on the internet, although i only saw two very low res ones...
looks like an awesome location.. its either this or the hotel Savoy me thinks!!

I used to work for Crystal Holidays - for the last two years i have been snowboarding all in for as little as £25 pp!!!

wish i could get those prices again!! Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
iceman_louis, Merinet is a really good resource so you should find all the info you need on there. In answer to a couple of your questions though- Mousillon is at the bottom end of town and is where Dicks Tea Bar is located- it's a significant up then down walk to get to Chaudanne, but the bus service is free and pretty regular. Some of the chalets down there may offer a transfer service up to the slopes although this can be a bit restrictive.

Have you thought about Meribel 1650? It's the area half way up the hill between the town centre and the Altiport. Most of the chalets are within a 5 minute walk of the slopes and you can either ski/board down to Chaudanne to link to the lifts, or bypass that by taking a chair straight up the mountain. If you're not having lessons this can be a big advantage when its busy as Meribel generally is. The only down side is the walk up the hill at the end of a night out- s'good for you though! There is a regular bus service up there too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi try silverski the chalets are great i stopped in chalet Telekie about 2 mins from the morel lift and it was ski to door (snow permiting) fantastic area for boarding / skiing, the food and staff were excellent. the prices are not to bad either! we have booked silverski this new years in la plagne.......you wont be disapointed
www.silverski.co.uk 01622 735544
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bladebasher wrote:
hi try silverski the staff were excellent.
wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what are the nicest, best positioned hotels in meribel..?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just booked up to go to Les Grangettes in Meribel next January with Inghams, it was cheapish on an early bird discounted deal and a brilliant location so I snapped it up. Not sure what to expect though as there are no reviews for it on TripAdvisor. Has anyone else apart from ssnowman stayed there and can tell me what its like?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 9-05-08 12:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rolling eyes
snow report
In the past we have stayed in Chalet Chardonnet (Neilson's) which is about 10 min walk from the town but the bus stop was just opposite and pretty convenient. This year we have booked with Ski Total, these chalets seem to be in the Mousillon area but they provide a mini bus service. There are lockers right by the lifts at the chaudanne which we have found to be a godsend as then you don't have to carry your equipment or walk in your ski boots. Another TO to look at would be Skiworld.
I haven't used them but someone did recommend Ski Basics to me, I think you have to book your own flights and transfers.
It's a pity there are not 7 of you as then you would qualify for group discounts and start to bring the costs down
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, (I'm guessing you decided against a late deal then Toofy Grin ) I was there a few years ago (although not in the same accommodation - having looked at the Inghams website, I have to agree though that the location is virtually unbeatable). I can't comment on the apres as I didn't really do any, but can say there is an ice-rink fairly close to the base of the lifts (if that's your sort of idea of fun...). I think there's also a pool as part of the complex (which some of my group used), so another option if you take your swimmies for the hotel's jacuzzi.

As well as being right next to the lifts (and within a minutes walk of the leisure centre) you'll be close to where I remember the main centre being (with shops and bars etc).

The skiing is phenomenal, and we more than made do with just a Meribel pass, but a 3V is great for flexibility (as I found out in Val T). Awesome skiing all around, but the best (perhaps in the world) is if you go right up to the top of the valley and hit Mont Vallon (insert drooling smilie). There is an awesome restuarant at the top of Saulire - be warned though, being above Courcheval 1850 means it might be good, but it definitely isn't cheap; awesome self-serve meals for around €20 (had the world's best carbonara there) or sit-down service meals for around €35.
snow report
franzman, skisimon, jan, sorry I don't think I made myself clear in my post! I'm more than familar with 3V and Meribel itself, not a problem and I know exactly where the Grangettes is in relation to the Chaudanne, that was the main reason I booked it really as well as I can just nip across the road every morning to the lifts. As well as the fact they had a single room with ensuite bath and loo-at a good price too.

skisimon,

thanks for the heads up about the restaurant at the top of the Saulire... wink I have eaten there a few times before. Very Happy

What I was getting at was that, apart from ssnowman who said he had stayed at the Grangettes above earlier in this thread, has anybody else stayed at the Grangettes also or know someone that has? The Grangettes hasn't got any reviews on TripAdvisor you see!

fatbob, what do you mean rolling eyes Puzzled -could you elaborate?

By the way, edited because the some of the text was not coming out how it should be! Bold bits all over the place.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry just an expression of amazement at franzman's incredibly sophisticated viral marketing technique. High end for sure.
latest report
fatbob, ah I see! Ok.

I didn't really pay much attention to that post TBH because I'm not looking for alternative/possible accomodations/tour ops, I've already booked with Inghams........ Very Happy and wondered if anyone else knew the Grangettes.

I wonder why there are no reviews for that particular chalet hotel on TripAdvisor..? It surprises me because it is quite a large-ish Inghams club hotel so you would think people would have something to say about it, good or bad.

Worth taking a chance though I think, I will take some earplugs though because some of the rooms are above the Cactus apparently-that'll be mine I expect! Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob, Laughing

VolklAttivaS5, I had a feeling you meant info on the hotel, I just can't help myself going off on one... Toofy Grin
snow report
skisimon, ok, that's fine. I'll put it down to a kind attempt to educate me. wink By the way are you one of the people in Megamum's pics of the train journey to the EoSB? I did wonder as there is quite a bit of discussion on the other thread about Eurostar about best ways to go to the EoSB or the Alps in general....
snow conditions
iceman_louis, we stayed in chalet snowbell http://www.meribelskichalet.com/snowbel.html , the location was excellent (I'd imagine about as central as you can get), about 4 minutes walk in ski boots to nearest lift (escalator near the tourisim office). Only a small chalet, sleeps about 6/7 in 3 rooms. We payed £350 fully inclusive, and sorted flights and transport ourselves.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy