Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A more intelligent approach to ski storage and transport?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Every year, hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of pairs of skis are hauled aboard aircraft, stuffed into taxis, dragged through airport terminals and the rest.

Back in the late 50s / early 60s, when I began skiing, Alpine ski shops made it a standard part of their service to store skis for their clients who might (if the the customer didn't return to ski in the same place the next winter) receive instructions to forward the skis to another ski resort. I believe it worked well.

Does it happen now? Have any snowHeads worked out solutions to avoid lumbering skis, paying airline surcharges, and burning all that unnecessary fuel? Not to mention the hassle of storing skis at home and worrying if they'd be left at Gatwick airport in the wake of an overloaded jet.

What does it cost to have a ski shop store skis from one winter to the next, and send them - say - from France to Austria? Or from one French resort to another? I think we should be told. Does the service even exist any more?

If skis were stored by ski shops, rather than in suburban garages and lofts, it would also provide an opportunity for off-season servicing by the shops as part of the service.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting thought, and it probably has some validiy, if you ski in the same continent year in year out.
From the shops point of view, having worked in one, between September and January, you don't want anything cluttering up the store, or around the servicing area, and so will do whatever you can to keep that space available for sales stock, and for servicing.
Now, if you have a shop that has excessive storage capacity, that may be an idea, but how much would you be prepared to pay a shop to hold your skis, and cover the insurance for them being on their property?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
Have any snowHeads worked out solutions to avoid lumbering skis, paying airline surcharges, and burning all that unnecessary fuel? Not to mention the hassle of storing skis at home and worrying if they'd be left at Gatwick airport in the wake of an overloaded jet.

I believe it is possible to rent skis in many resorts.

Why buy it when you can rent it? (guardian 27/6/2004)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very good point!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We bought an apartment out there - perhaps not very cost effective, but it does mean no more transporting skis back and fore Wink

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some years ago I came across a guesthouse in St Anton which kept skis and boots during the year for its regular clientel.
These days I hire skis because I ski 2 weeks per year only Sad , I can stay up to date with design changes, and it saves an awful ot of transport hassle. I do miss the delight of just going straight to the slopes when I arrive, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy