Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate skiers-Please Note.

Poster: A snowHead
easiski wrote:
..................... None of us are at the point of not being able to improve more. too much comfort is a bad thing!.............

So I shouldn't be thinking of just cruising the blues and reds in between restaurant stops? It was beginning to appeal. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski wrote:
None of us are at the point of not being able to improve more. too much comfort is a bad thing!

Ah but.....! Very Happy (you knew there was going to be one!)

Maybe this is just personal, but if I'm going to push my comfort zone in terms of terrain and/or conditions, then I want something comfortable and familiar underfoot. If I'm pushing the type of ski, then I want to be on comfortable terrain. In other words, I want to push the comfort zone, not smash it to smithereens. Moreover, isn't there an argument that "comfortable" when describing a ski also means "familiar"? And overskiing a ski you're too good for is equally uncomfortable
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, I don't think that my effort at descibing an IS above, fits you desciption nor trys to describe an expierenced skier. As i point out, you earn the money, buying skis pays my wages! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, sure, but the point I'm trying to make is that I suspect many "intermediates" who have lots of room for improvement don't want to improve enough to want a pair of skis that makes them feel uncomfortable, ie they don't want to "overski" or have to "grow into" their skis. I also suspect that if they nevertheless unwittingly improved over a few years, they'd just go out and buy another pair anyway and not worry about that it might've worked out cheaper for them to have rented after all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, very true.

I've almost resigned myself to accepting that the majority of Brit holiday makers just want to ski from cafe to cafe on cruisy runs, twisting their shoulders from turn to turn whilst standing on their heels.

I'm very appreciative of working on the North American continent where skiing is seen more as a sport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, At the heart of this i just want people to stop buying middle market, over priced crap! Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, can you give us some examples of what you consider to be

Quote:
middle market, over priced crap
?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, And how many of those competing in this SPORT, say in the top 20, are European? Toofy Grin

I think us Europeans take this SPORT quite seriously, we are just slightly more modest when it come to talking things up in public. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, easiski,

I always hire...I can't be bothered with the expense and hassle otherwise .. and I always ask for premium skis. A big part of skiing is the annual search for skis for the trips and the trawl around numerous shops is a good thing for me. I kind of have a short list and can be in and out of the shop if I don't see what I think I want. But if I have time..and the shop has time..this is v importnat, so pick you moments... I'll talk to the tech and see what he says. Sometimes its worth a punt on something I wouldn't have spotted myself. Thas why I rated the Cas ski test even if I didn't go and that why I like discussions on here, there is always another ski that gets thrown in.

MY current list this year is...so far...

Stockli Snake BC
Santiago Mission
K2 Outlaw

and problably a few more. Now I will not be able to find them all but I think there are a few interesting ones there and I'll enjoy trying....hell, I might even buy one... It might take a bit of re-adjusting of style/technique but I'll want a crud buster that I can get around if need be. I'm not expecting a whippet ski. Horses for courses

I'd love to get out the PSB and and try a few more...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope have to disagree on the basis of the clientel that I see on the hill.

On a powder day - the line is filled with Americans, Canadians, Kiwis and Aussies. Some Brits, but most are in bed still from the night before.

At lunch - the ones with the protein bars and power drinks are mostly all the other nationalities apart from the Brits, they are to be found with the beers and wine.

This is a generalisation of course, you do get the occasional hard core Brit that wants to ski the knarl.

I'm not knocking it, it's their holiday, they should choose what they want to do.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, Maybe, in the USA. I have to agree, as i never really see or hear the Europeans skiing, they quietly go about their day, however you certainly can't mistake the shrill "Sheyrl, Sheryl, come over here. I got some freshies!" that seems to come blasting out under every lift. Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight wrote:
At lunch - the ones with the protein bars and power drinks are mostly all the other nationalities apart from the Brits, they are to be found with the beers and wine.

genepi makes you ski better. FACT!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
slikedges, At the heart of this i just want people to stop buying middle market, over priced crap! Little Angel

An admirable aim! Fair 'nuff, maybe we are talking about slightly different intermediate animals and I'd agree that many people are best advised to buy skis to grow into but I just think that there'll always be a big market of people who are very happy on their plateaus who you shouldn't feel the slightest bit guilty to sell to! Very Happy

JT, you're not qualified to comment as I suspect you'd rate a bit more than intermediate in most people's books! NehNeh wink

Seriously though, you enjoy the trawl, don't you? As you say it's a big part of your ski experience and you go to numerous shops and like spending the time doing it. I quite like looking and talking gear too, but am really too lazy to want to go to more than one or two shops. I also suspect you know many of the resorts you go to and have a good idea which shops to bother with already. All I'm saying is that many people value the convenience of always having the same pair around which makes their skiing feel easy and enjoyable. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, I love you. X Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges wrote:
All I'm saying is that many people value the convenience of always having the same pair around which makes their skiing feel easy and enjoyable. snowHead

That's not a bad thing in my opinion, but I do think that never trying a high performance ski does mean that you're missing out on a valuable and fun experience. I enjoy driving my little Peugeot, but if I could afford to rent a Ferrari for a couple of days I'm sure that it would be a fun and informative thing to do Wink
snow report
Skis are essentially a bad investment for the holiday skier or punter (a group in which I am included). Whilst I ski 3-4 weeks a year, at the top end of punter skiing but the low-middle end of proper skiing, skis are still a bad return.

I've got a couple of pairs, Movement Thunders and Made'n AK's. The Thunders are a great all mountain ski and are very good off piste, whilst the Made'ns are superb in the powder they are too soft for piste and pretty poor.

However, I don't buy skis to use them until they are worn out, I enjoy owning my own skis and having new models. I will sell them both next season and get another new pair, accepting that I will lose money on the deal, and I would probably have saved money renting.

However, boots are another matter.
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:

Maybe this is just personal, but if I'm going to push my comfort zone in terms of terrain and/or conditions, then I want something comfortable and familiar underfoot. If I'm pushing the type of ski, then I want to be on comfortable terrain. In other words, I want to push the comfort zone, not smash it to smithereens. Moreover, isn't there an argument that "comfortable" when describing a ski also means "familiar"? And overskiing a ski you're too good for is equally uncomfortable

That pretty much sums up how I feel. I don't think I've yet reached (and probably won't ever reach) the point where I'm 'overskiing' the Bandits, but as I gain confidence from their forgiving nature, I have found myself occasionally tackling gradients and/or surfaces which previously I would have avoided. Smile
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
easiski, sure, but the point I'm trying to make is that I suspect many "intermediates" who have lots of room for improvement don't want to improve enough to want a pair of skis that makes them feel uncomfortable, ie they don't want to "overski" or have to "grow into" their skis. I also suspect that if they nevertheless unwittingly improved over a few years, they'd just go out and buy another pair anyway and not worry about that it might've worked out cheaper for them to have rented after all.

Have you had me under covert observation? Shocked That is an uncannily accurate description of how I feel Madeye-Smiley

I guess this absolutely confirms my 'punter' status. snowHead
snow conditions
flicksta wrote:
Skis are essentially a bad investment for the holiday skier or punter (a group in which I am included). Whilst I ski 3-4 weeks a year, at the top end of punter skiing but the low-middle end of proper skiing, skis are still a bad return.

I disagree. Provided you buy and sell them, they are a great investment. I am a holiday skiier too, and certainly my last 6 pairs of skis have saved me money over renting.

Just worked it out...
I've had my Head skis for 5 weeks of skiing. If I don't sell them, that means right now they have cost me £34 per ski week.
My Pistols work out at £57 per ski week
My PEs have only done 1 week, so have cost about £250 per week! Shocked

By the end of next season, I expect my Heads to have cost under £20 a week, and the Pistols around £40.

I may well change the Heads for the following season, which means I'll sell them, and use the cash to go towards buying the next pair. (that's how I did it the last time)

I've yet to see anywhere offering me a 1 week rental for £20.
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
Nope have to disagree on the basis of the clientel that I see on the hill.

On a powder day - the line is filled with Americans, Canadians, Kiwis and Aussies. Some Brits, but most are in bed still from the night before.

This is a generalisation of course, you do get the occasional hard core Brit that wants to ski the knarl.

I'm not knocking it, it's their holiday, they should choose what they want to do.

I skied at Lake Tahoe last March and we were out in the line before the gondola started most mornings. I have never tasted a protein bar, or power drink, preferring pasta and wine or beer to refresh and replenish at lunchtime. So I half agree with your observations, and 100% agree with your conclusion. Very Happy
ski holidays
AxsMan, It's a shame we fear skis so much. They do not bite. Last year for example, many feared the B3 was too off-piste orientated. They tested, bought and i'm sure will be seen all over the piste.
I hope people will look past the marketting and at least test something they think is outside their 'COMFORT ZONE', this is all negative Phsycology(?). Try Arno,'s tip, Genipi, will break this fear, you'll surprise yourselves, be elated, the endorphines will kick in and you'll have got free drugs with your skis. Cool
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,

With you on that one. My bandits work out at about £40 per week including services, after this year that should drop to less than £35. And if I were to sell them for as litle as £50 it would fall further. But it's not just about cost anyway. As many have said above, owning means no queuing at the shop and always having your favourite ski's available. Even if you only ski 1 week a year, that just means it will take longer to get 'payback' but hey - what's the hurry?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, easy, tiger! Laughing

rob@rar.org.uk, no disagreement there, I've certainly been known to take out a pair of skis better than I am a skier (plenty of choice) for the day just for a blast

flicksta, it is nice to own your own skis, isn't it? Very Happy I look in lovingly at mine over the summer months, give them the occasional stroke, same as you I'm sure. wink
snow conditions
AxsMan wrote:
Have you had me under covert observation? Shocked That is an uncannily accurate description of how I feel Madeye-Smiley

No, don't worry, just telling it how I see it. BTW I can understand your thing with silk, but trust me on this - lose the ladies underwear wink
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
AxsMan, It's a shame we fear skis so much. They do not bite. Last year for example, many feared the B3 was too off-piste orientated. They tested, bought and i'm sure will be seen all over the piste.
I hope people will look past the marketting and at least test something they think is outside their 'COMFORT ZONE', this is all negative Phsycology(?). Try Arno,'s tip, Genipi, will break this fear, you'll surprise yourselves, be elated, the endorphines will kick in and you'll have got free drugs with your skis. Cool

Sounds good to me. I did hire a pair of 'high performance' ski's for one day last year at Alpe D'huez. (I'm such a punter that I've forgotten what make they were). I just wanted to try them in comparison to the B2's to see what they felt like. I took them back at lunchtime as they felt awful, no edge grip and reluctant to turn. Maybe this was actually them revealing weaknesses in my technique, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless.

I intend to try a pair of B3's this season to see how they feel, I'm sort of 'working up to it' if you see what I mean. And Yes I have used Arno's tip (or variants of it) many times (in fact just about every trip) and can vouch for its efficacy. (Did my only nose plant of the season at Tahoe last year after a lunch involving several 'shooters' Laughing )
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
AxsMan wrote:

No, don't worry, just telling it how I see it. BTW I can understand your thing with silk, but trust me on this - lose the ladies underwear wink

That's just the problem. I keep losing it and then it turns up at embarrasing moments. (what's that?, sorry dear, don't worry it's just a spare handkerchief I keep in my salopettes pocket) Shocked
ski holidays
I agree with flicksta the sheer enjoyment of owning your own skis is a big part of it Smile In fact i might get mine down from the attic tonight for a polish!!!!!

Another key thing for Mrs C and I in owning our own skis is that we can happily go across to the alps for a weekend after work on friday knowing we dont have to endure the bun fight in the hire shop on Saturday morning.

Also as Wear The Fox Hat says once you've had a few weeks use from a pair of skis buying your own isnt bad value especially if you sell them on to fund the next purchase.
snow report
The reason I asked SZK what he means by over-priced crap is that last year, the skis I was most comfortable on are marketed as at least "advanced" skis, some indeed as "expert" skis, and the Monster almost as an "everyman" ski. Now I have probably about 35 weeks' experience, but I consider myself an intermediate because there's so much I can't do properly yet. So I'd like to have some examples of these overpriced intermediate skis because marketing and labels are rarely a good indication of what will suit you IM limited E.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a pair for a similar reason to flicksta. I ski 2 - 3 weeks a year but I do a couple of long weekends. It's a total pain hiring skis if you're driving to different resorts each day. Plus I've got to know my current pair very well and have a good idea of what to progress to as a result. Also, am I right in thinking that some rental skis have thicker bases and edges than the equivalent production models and consequently have less feel...? SMALLZOOKEEPER?
ski holidays
Sharkymark, I some cases this is true. Cool
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, any examples?
ski holidays
Sharkymark, I wouldn't say there are any hard and fast examples. What i mean is (i'm going for the world record for typing B3 more than any other in a day!) Take a B3 for example, there are rental versions, with a denser base, deeper edges and protection on tip and tail (i'd like these on standard skis!), but not will all shops take this model for rental depending on commercial circustances. I could offer you other examples, however there is no certainty that the rental shop you go to will have it. Little Angel
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I see...so not necessarily a bad thing then; just different
snow conditions
Sharkymark, I don't think even Jeremey12 and all his expierence, could tell the difference between B3 and B3 rental. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, any answer to my question? While you're there... Wink
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, stop it Laughing Toofy Grin
latest report
eng_ch, Sorry there are too many of you whom may be offended by what in mu opinion is 'Middle Market Crap'. Sorry. Cool
snow report
I didn't mean you should feel uncomfortable on a pair of skis, but that if you buy skis, and expect them to last 3-4 winters, then you (should have) will have improved, and it's easy to get lazy. The feel from a good turn on a good pair of skis is just wonderful.. Not all performance skis are race skis of course, there are many in the all mountain or freeride ranges and even freestyle, that give a really good feel (Scott P 3 for example). By all accounts the Seth is also in this category although I haven't tried them yet due to length (again!)

Maybe AxsMan, you jumped more than one level with the skis you tried. For example, my Fischer WC SCs ar really quite forgiving and not tiring to ski on (as opposed to carrying), but when you bother to ski properly - Oh boy! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
easiski, Not sure how many levels, but 'jumping' is something I only try after several Bombardini Very Happy

SMALLZOOKEEPER, You are damn right (unsurprisingly) about the differences in rental/retail versions. I spent two trips tring to get tip protectors for my B2s like the ones in the rental shops until a tech at intersport showed me that the tips are actually cut away to accomodate the protectors on the rental version.
ski holidays
AxsMan, Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy