Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I almost daren't ask but....

Poster: A snowHead
Ok there must be a million threads on here along the lines of 'which skis should I buy'. And, after all the sensible caveats/questions concerning 'what type/shape/weight of skier are you', and 'what type/style/speed of skiing do you want to do', and 'where do you want to do it', the commonest answer boils down to 'demo some and chose a pair you like' - which is sound advice, or 'Get a pair of Bandits' (which I did!) or 'anything but Bandits unless you are a 'punter', (I must be), or 'try a fat ski, you'll like it' or FISH.

Very Happy

So here I am, end of the summer, beginning to plan our trips for next season, and our 15yr old daughter has just decided she would like ski's, boots and bindings (and probably poles) for Christmas.

She has skied Bandit B2W's (and liked them), Mrs Axs has Saphirs which are very light so miss Axs fancys them also. She also likes the look of Fun2's.

I guess her criteria boil down to:

1 - look/styling - She likes pink/turquoise/pale blue, and is quite 'girly' about the design. (having said this she likes the look of the B2W's as well and they don't strike me as especially feminine).

2 - Weight - she HATES carrying ski's so the lighter the better. (which is probably the Saphirs?)

3 - Performance - She's quite experienced on piste, happy on Reds and Blacks (well happier than me anyway) doesn't really do off-piste. She doesn't blast around like a mad thing, and her only real fear is steep ice.

She's skied quite a variety of rental ski's and has got along fine with all of them so....

Cutting to the chase, what's the general verdict between BanditB2W's, Saphir 100's, Fun2's or something else. (She doesn't like the look of Burnin Luv's because they are yellow!)

One thing I'm finding hard to discover is the weight of the different skis? She wants to ski 154's, but I can't find what these actually weigh anywhere?

I would really like her to demo the skis before committing but that depends on them being stocked at Xscape (Ellis Brigham?) So my final question, if buying in the UK, are any retailers particularly recommended? (I bought my B2's and Mrs'Axs Saphirs in France.)

Any help / advice welcomed (even FISH) Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, can't help on the skis, but the best place to try them would surely have to be La Rosiere.

That place is so highly recommended for absolutely everything, "The world's best centre for demo'ing skis" would have to be the only thing it hasn't yet been nominated for. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AxsMan, I have the perfect thing, 154cm K2 Missdemenor. I give you very good price my friend, choice of binding, Lockwoods will mount 'em for you.

Best looking ski ever, she'll love them.
Does all of the above well and looks the business, you'll be the most popular Dad ever.

390€ inc binding(Salomon S810) + carriage Little Angel

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 28-08-06 13:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Ray Zorro, that was (slightly) more helpful than I expected (but only slightly) Very Happy Will add La Rosiere to the list of possible demo venues.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent advice there, SZK!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Wow, I was sure I'd get a 'FISH' from you Very Happy

Got any pix of the Missdemenors? and weights? (price sounds nice to me!). snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan, Cant really help with which ski to get but, and this is going to sound sooooooooo sad Shocked

I have just put my 154cm K2 Burning Luvs on the scales (they just happen to be in the house as I used them on Thursday Laughing).
They are just under 6kgs.
I find it is not so much the weight of the ski's being carried just that they can separate and move around so I always carry a velcro ski tie thingie which helps snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Wow, I was sure I'd get a 'FISH' from you Very Happy

Got any pix of the Missdemenors? and weights? (price sounds nice to me!). snowHead

(even after the edit to include bindings!) Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ok there must be a million threads on here along the lines of 'which skis should I buy'. And, after all the sensible caveats/questions concerning 'what type/shape/weight of skier are you', and 'what type/style/speed of skiing do you want to do', and 'where do you want to do it', the commonest answer boils down to 'demo some and chose a pair you like' - which is sound advice, or 'Get a pair of Bandits' (which I did!) or 'anything but Bandits unless you are a 'punter', (I must be), or 'try a fat ski, you'll like it' or FISH.

Laughing Laughing

The foam cored skis (B2Ws) tend to be lighter than wood cored skis (Burnin' Luvs). Salamon (FISH) are also foam cored.

K2 One Luvs are pink and black with flowers on and not too dissimilar to the Burnin' Luvs
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds, Thanks for that. Yes we always use those velcro straps as well. Miss Axs still struggles with the usual hire skis though (which often results in me carrying them - hence my 'undertsanding position' vis a vis getting a light pair) Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan, Can't get the photo on here, too stupid. Last years graphic, Pink, with a naughty little girl on a surreal background. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

One Luvs are pink and black with flowers on and not too dissimilar to the Burnin' Luvs

Sharkymark, Yes they are Shocked
The Burning Luv's are orange Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, Try this. http://store.skithebeav.com/item.asp?prodid=20459
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds, Just applied your cunning 'bathroom scales' technique to our skis. Result:

My 174 Bandit B2's - 5.6 Kg
Mr's Axs's 154 Saphire3's - 4.5Kg

So your 154 Burnin luv's seem quite heavy? (or my 174's are hollow Very Happy)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice one JT. wink
snow conditions
AxsMan, I dont think my scales are very good Laughing They are aroung 5.7kgs
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Thanks SZK, yes they look er, delightful Confused

Still it's not what I think that matters. I'll canvas the opinion of 'She Who Must Be Obeyed (junior)'. Very Happy
ski holidays
Linds, I think mine should be pretty close, that are those fancy ones that also measure your bodyfat % (not telling, but easily grants me Lardyboy status!) and only about 6 months old.

On the bright side, you probably weigh 10% less than you think! (which, in MY case would definitely qualify as good news) Very Happy
latest report
Linds,

Oh yeah.... thats what they all say.. Laughing

SZK, Cool
snow report
Bathroom scales tend not to be much good at the lower end. Weigh yourself + skis, then yourself - skis. Difference should be the weight of the skis.
snow report
JT, Shocked Shocked where did your link go?? (assume it showed the same pic?) wink
snow conditions
AxsMan, If she really prefers piste, then the One Luv should be very good. Miss Demeanors are much fatter and I found they really didn't hold on ice or at speed (very trendy look though).

Curious about the weights. My Volkl P50 slaloms 163 are spot on 5 Kg - which seems light. Not going downstairs to fetch the Fischer's though!
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:
Bathroom scales tend not to be much good at the lower end. Weigh yourself + skis, then yourself - skis. Difference should be the weight of the skis.

OK have moved into realm of accurately pre-loaded bathroom scale ski measurement. (Isn't this fun on a Bank Holiday Monday Very Happy)

weighed self with and without ski's 3 times* to ensure repeatable results:

174 Bandits - 5.3 kg
154 Saphirs - 4.2 Kg

*scales now overheating
snow report
Quote:

your bodyfat %

I dont want to know that Laughing FenlandSkier, Ski's still weigh the same rolling eyes
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

SWMBO(junior) indicated preference for styling of saphir100 over Miss Demeanors which probably rules them out!

Easiski - yes had spotted that, they are 'fatter' than my B2's!
snow report
AxsMan,

The ski was out of stock so I didn't think it too relevant. And after I posted I saw the link to the skis so deleted mine. Took too long to work out the code for links as I'd forgotten how to do it...Laughing

Apart from that I don't know the ski but a snowHead search would put up a few reviews, I seem to remember.
ski holidays
Three reviews here...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/skireviewlist.php?model=MissDemeanor
latest report
AxsMan, If she wants to improve I really would not recommend the Saphirs. they are squarely aimed at the pretty feeble intermediate lady, who isn't going anywhere with her skiing. She cannot just pick skis for their colour - she needs skis (after all they're too expensive to get it wrong) that will accommodate her needs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, I have Saphirs, DON'T buy them!!!
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Are you threatening to give them away? Thats not nice. Mad
snow report
easiski,

Thanks again, very good advice, which I have also explained to her. (But seeing it in writing helps!). Saphirs are out of the equation, she really doesn't like the look of the Mis Demenors, and is now leaning heavily towards the B2W's. Her only reservation is the weight, which as she's a big strong girl shouldn't really be a problem. Smile

B2's also have the advantage that she has skied them already (and liked them), and she could easily demo a pair at Xscape. She has a slight reservation about their length (min 158) as she 'normally' skis 154's. But since she is 166 tall and weighs around 60Kg I think 158 might be better for her anyway.

Thanks all for your very helpful suggestions. Now comes the painful bit - parting with the cash! Smile
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,

Don't worry, they have been dropped as an option. (Unfortunately the negative coments on the 'beginers only' nature of the Saphirs has had the side effect of Mrs Axs also considering an upgrade, so it could be TWO sets of ski's to buy) Shocked Shocked Shocked

(Hmm, wonder If I shoud upgrade my B2's? Nah, still lovin them Very Happy)
latest report
Have you looked at the roxy range of skis, which are merely rebranded dynastar skis. http://www.roxy.com/snow/ski.aspx . I think the snow angel skis are the same as the dynastar sweet trouble, though these skis are twin tips.
snow report
Edmundh009 wrote:
Have you looked at the roxy range of skis, which are merely rebranded dynastar skis. http://www.roxy.com/snow/ski.aspx . I think the snow angel skis are the same as the dynastar sweet trouble, though these skis are twin tips.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Sidewalk Surf Shocked Shocked Shocked Now those really are Gurly Ski's! Very Happy

Sadly she'll probably love them, more sadly, the site doesn't list a UK vendor.

Ho Hum

(and thanks for the link BTW Very Happy)
ski holidays
Have a look on filarinskis.com .If you use their ski selector there are plenty of womens specific skis and it may help your daughter to create a short lsit, also I see the burning luv are now gold as opposed to bright yellow.
ski holidays
AxsMan, Just don't show her the website! If she already likes the B2W and likes the graphics, then she should probably get them in the 158 sort of length, which will encourage her to ski better. She's about the same height and weight as me. I would ski that 10cms longer, so 158 would probably be about right. Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan, Please ask her to look at the B3 lady, requires the same effort/engagement but has more possibilites should she fancy wondering SAFELY off-piste. Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've heard that the B3 is a much better ski than the B2. Haven't had a chance to ski it yet - hopefully at the mondial.
ski holidays
Thanks all for the input, message to Edmundh009, from Miss Axs (re the Roxy skis):

"Which Roxy ski's would work better for me, the Pink flowery ones, or the Black polka-dots"?

SMALLZOOKEEPER, NOooooooo, please dont expand the options, just when I'd got it down to a choice of 3! Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan, There is no option, do the B3 lady! trust me!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy