Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking about Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Just starting to consider options for next season. Will be taking the teenagers away for the first week of April (2nd week of Easter) and am wondering about Les Arcs as a destination?

Will probably self-drive, and self-cater, and would be looking for a mix of intermediate runs with some off-but-near-piste bits (for the snowboarder). Ski in/out would be nice, as would a few nearby bars and restaurants (but don't need a lot of them).

Les Arcs 1800 seems to fit the bill and looks a good bet for late season snow. Any got any recommendations/warnings? A good S/C chalet with three bedrooms would be ideal.

Thanx in advance! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Thinking about Les Arcs

me too, 4.5 months to go...

Its ticks all your boxes, you could conside Vallandry where there are lots of small s/c chalets and its quicker into the Paradiski if you want to cross away from Les Arcs for some slow lifts and easy runs
Les Arcs is a good choice if you like to spend time on the snow, I recon this resort has one of the best lift time to snow time ratios anywhere in the Alps, although I'm not sure how one would measure these things comparitively without a serious 3 months of anoraking. Any volunteers?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have skied Les Arcs 3 months in a row now and don't think I will tire of it in the near future.

Always good snow when I have been there and quite good for dipping your toe in a bit of off piste

Also easy to avoid queues and the ski area is vast

Bon Ski !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1800 doesn't have much by way of chalets, lots of s/c apartments though - I've been twice and loved it both times - highly recommended. aj xx
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's a great ski domain, although I'm probably a bit biased! You have a great range of skiing: high altitude, tree-lined runs, lots of off-piste including some classic routes, endless motorway cruising, lots of bump runs, etc. There is terrain to suit all weather and snow conditions.

Access to La Plagne via the Vanois Express lift is very easy from all the Arc villages. I think JimW timed it last season as less than 25 minutes from his place in Arc 2000 to be skiing in the La Plagne domain.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
(I'm a snowboarder, 19yrs) Visited Les Arcs 1800 about 2 years ago and thought it was fantastic. We went early April and the snow conditions were fab, highly recommend it particularly if your looking for somewhere to satisfy your teenagers. Plenty of good bars and places to eat in close proximity and the slopes are excellent. Again lots of apartments, not sure about chalets but.....definitely worth a visit Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, sounds like it's well worth a visit, now I just need to find a 3 bedroom appartment (or Chalet) neer the slopes and village... rob@rar.org.uk, Yours sounds ideal (I checked your site) but not quite big enough for all six of us Sad Do you have any neighbours with larger ones?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Yours sounds ideal (I checked your site) but not quite big enough for all six of us Sad Do you have any neighbours with larger ones?

A few of my neighbours rent their apartments out via My French Chalet, and I think they have a couple of 3-bedroom apartments available.

PS I have no connection with this company.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed in those last time and (sorry rob) I wouldn't recommend it if you want to go out in the evenings, especially if you want to let the teens out solo - I'd be a bit worried about them going up and down on their own as the apts are quite a way up the road from town (there is a bus) or straight up a bit of blue piste...absolutely fab for skiing, and great spec apartments but we found going out for a quick drink or two in town was just too much hassle to be enjoyable. That said if you want 3 beds s/c in 1800 they may be your only choice? I don't think the maeva or p&v go that big and both are very 'effcient' in terms of space anyway so wouldn't want to be fully occupied. If you don't mind a walk back up in the snow (it's about 200-300m I guess but steep!) or a wait for the bus then it's not a problem, but I prefer easy access to the shops/bars if possible! If you are interested anyway I can vouch myfrenchtravel were fine - smoothly organised and no probs with apartment. Sometimes a little tricky to get hold of but they are only small!

If you want a chalet what about vallandry? http://www.ernalow.co.uk/accommodation-overview.aspx?qs=productid_e_74765
You could also consider the big apts over in 1950? http://www.ernalow.co.uk/accommodation-overview.aspx?qs=productid_e_73762
http://www.ernalow.co.uk/accommodation-overview.aspx?qs=productid_e_73761

If you find any decent sized chalets or aprtments in 1800 I'd love to hear about them. I want to go back again in '08 but always find getting suitable accomodation the hardest part!

Good luck with the search,

aj xx
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajhainey, Yes it is a bit of a short but steep walk up the piste, or a quick ride on the free resort shuttle (runs every 20 minutes I think, until late). It's never bothered me, although we're not into late night apres every night of the week. I think you're right that all of the apartments closer to the centre of the resort are shoe-box sized.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ajhainey, Thanks for your comments. Will checkout the links. Not too worried about a bit of a walk into the centre, I'd rather walk in the evening and stagger back pi$$ed, than walk in the morning carrying Skis and wearing boots. (of course no walk at all would be ideal, but is often difficult to achieve! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup, I know others have thought the location fine (the apts came highly recommended to me from someone elses previous visit) maybe my friends are just lazy Happy And in my case at least terminally unfit! Going down was ok, it was coming back up that was the killer! aj xx
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan, thanks for starting this, I was thinking of Les Arcs too for next season. Not sure what dates though as I don't know exactly what I'm doing next year. Keep the info coming then folks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Late season - not convinced I was there in early March and I got fairly proficient at skiing on grass lower down. Actually liked the ski area apart from that. No big nights out to be had.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon,

As Rob says, you can get from 1950 to Vanoise in about 20 mins from boot-room to lift-line, just one lift out of the 2000 valley, (Bois de L'Ours) and then all downhill from there...

Interesting comparisons now with prices being announced from Eurostar - 1950 is coming in cheaper by the day than the new 1800 MGMs which is a bit disappointing for us owners who are relying on others to rent our places for us (oh how I wonder how the swear filter would really translate what I think of that...) , but fantastic for anyone thinking of going out there...

We are now booked for a week in Jan and first two weeks in April (school holidays don'cha know): last year the late season in the 2000 valley was fine, as some of the regulars here will attest.

Night life in 1950 is getting there, with the night club under Luigi's open until 2am most nights, live bands in the Belle Pintes at least twice a week, and street entertainment early evening for those who like a post-ski beer but not a complete blow out.

Of course I'm going to recommend it - but then we wouldn't have bought there if we didn't like the skiing on offer in the region!

PS just got back from a week of summer activities in Tremblant (amongst other things in Quebec) , which is a far more 'sugary' experience and OTT chocolate box 'disneyfication' than Intrawest's offering in Europe. A bit too much methinks.
snow report
AxsMan,
Have a look at the Nova apartments in 1800. They're not exactly luxurious but they are very reasonably priced and bang next to the lifts, ski school meeting place etc. Some of the aprtments sleep 6/7 people. We booked there using CIS immobilier. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
AxsMan, I stayed at the 1950 set up last year and agree it's a good spot.

This year we're off to Vallandry stopping at the L'Oree des Cimes which also looks nice.

Both would seem to tick all your boxes.
snow report
Thanks for all the info guys. I have now booked with MFC. Cheers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy