Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basel to Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've never skiied in Switzerland before, usually France, so fancy a change this winter. Zermatt (and the hop over to Cervinia) looks like a potential place to go. We normally like to go out there a few days before the weekend and slowly make our way from the airport to the resort via other resorts en route, where we ski for the day. Last time we did this we went Geneva - Megeve - Overnighted in Albertville - La Plagne. We've found some good flight deals to Basel and wonder is there anywhere along the way to Zermatt that we should consider visiting for a spot of skiing?

Also, If we fly to Geneva then there's tons of places to go - is it easy to get from Chamonix to Zermatt in the winter via the N506 Vallorcine - Le Chatelard road? Or is this closed by the snowfalls?

Lastly, is there anywhere in Zermatt where we should (or should not) look to stay? I notice there aren't many Ski-in Ski-out places, so what's the best alternative, which parts of town are the most convenient for the slopes?

Cheers
SkiSkool

6ish Months to go, and counting....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiskool, bus from the airport to Basle station, then if you get a good connection you go straight to Brig, change there (short walk) and next stop Zermatt, if you are lucky it takes about 4 hours.

If you prefer you could do Basle to Wengen in arround 3 hours wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basel to Zermatt would be quite a jaunt. The airport bus to the Banhof is a 20 min bus ride for a couple of francs, but the taxi is about 30-40 IIRCC.

You would need to change at Lucerne, I believe, and you may get straight through to Brig...or take the ride to Andermatt which is slow and maybe a few changes and one of them is forced ..not quite sure why... If the train does indeed go straight through to Brig you have done yourself a favour as Andermatt is best viewed as an Off-piste resort and I'm not sure the normal skiing warrants a detour. The glacier express goes through this route so the majority of he ride should be VG scenery.

Once in Zermatt there are 3 main lifts out of town and none are too close to each other. The nearest to the Banhof is the Gornergrat cogged railway which is slow but has spectaclar views on a sunny day. This is a must at least once IMV. Opposite that hill and connected is the Sunnega which is a funival type lift. This is about 10 mins walk over the river from the station. It wouldn't be a bad place to stay as its the top of one of the main streets and easy-ish walk to the big Klien Matterhorn lift. Although the main bars at night are down nearer the station its probably better to stay up nearer the Sunnega and KM lifts. I never found it any problem walking between these lifts but I can imagine others might
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are also electric buses that will connect the main lifts/hotels...however these can get busy at peak periods.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, presumably you mean either the Sunegga or KM lifts, since they're about a mile apart ?? The good thing is Zermatt sits in a fairly flat valley floor so walking is doable, especially if you come down at the KM side and see the bus queue Shocked

skiskool, I'm guessing by the Chamonix comment you're planning to have a car ? In which case from Basel, I think the easiest way to go is via Bern, Fribourg and Montreux in which case you're going to pass Gstaad, Villars, Verbier and the 4Vs, Crans/Montana and numerous small stations.

I believe the Col de la Forclaz between Chamonix and Switzerland is open year round (but obviously could be shut short term by snowfall).

Might be worth dropping in at mysnowsports.com and asking ex-snowHead ise , who is a resident of Fribourg and all round expert in Swiss stations from the famous to the obscure.

Assume you knew but just in case, if you drive to Zermatt you'll have to leave the car down the valley in Taesch. There are numerous garages there that'll give you a parking+taxi deal.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brian,

That far? just goes to show walking around is a doddle as I regualrly used to walk from the KM via Murphy's down to the Banhof
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did Basle to Zermatt last Jan. Were planning on using the train, but if the flight had been delayed by 2 hours, wouldn't have been able to get there, so we hired a car instead. Was easy enough, headed towards Interlaken, turned for Kanderstegg and got on the car transporter train for 20 minutes. Was about an hour from there to Tasch. Took about 3 1/2 hrs
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all your advice. Sorry I didn't include the bit about hiring a car. Although I've heard lots about the fantastic train rides through Switzerland (certainly fantastic compared to the less than average excuses for trains we have over here) I prefer the flexibility of a car. And just found out that there is a massive new purpose built covered car park just down the valley from Zermatt, so no worries about leaving it somewhere safe.

I'm interested in the car transporter. What is this? Does the road run out and the train take over for part of the journey?

Sounds like there'll be no end of opportunities to visit places along the way, might visit more than a couple if we can get away from the UK a bit early.

Skiskool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just realised I've made a schoolboy error with the spelling of Basle in the thread title. I am referring of course to the Swiss city, and not the ginger 70s stuffed fox thing. Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiskool wrote:
ginger 70s stuffed fox thing. Smile

Oi less of that!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No offence. I quite like real foxes. but that's a whole other ban blood sport conversation
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiskool, no you haven't, you just used the native German (i.e. proper) spelling Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skiskool, the car transporter takes you through a tunnel through a mountain range. Just imagine Eurotunnel on a basic level....and far far cheaper!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skiskool, yup, as Elizabeth B says was only about 9 quid each way, ran every 1/2 hour, and saved about 2 hrs off the journey. http://www.bls.ch/autoverlad/index_e.html is the train info site. You want the Kanderstegg to Goppenstein one. From Goppenstein it's just 60km to Tasch.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy