Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet Winter Flight Release

Poster: A snowHead
Just to let you all know I've had an email alert from EasyJet to say they expect to release their winter flights in the next 10 days.

Get in early to bag a bargain!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[Reposted in your thread, seeing as you got in first by a minute!]

Not trying to do Easyjet's job for them, but the following press release has just materialised. It will be interesting to see if the flight only offers are as attractive as they make out....
Quote:

We anticipate releasing our winter seats for sale within the next ten days, exclusively online at www.easyJet.com , allowing you to book flights from 31 October 2004 until 26 March 2005.
As we are expecting phenomenal demand for these seats, we will release them in blocks throughout July, and will be giving regular updates on the latest routes available to book on the easyJet.com home page and via email.
So if you're planning a trip this winter - perhaps you're going skiing, or fancy a city break - hold on just a little longer to get the best deals this winter!
Don't forget, the earlier you book, the lower the fare!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About time, I'm trying to book a weekend in amsterdam returning on 31st Oct & this has been holding me up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eeyore, You might find the reds a bit scary, the slopes are often a little bare, and visibility is frequently poor as well - permanent haze around the Central Station area.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Eeyore, lots of different mogul fields to try though, some more artifically enhanced that other but lovely none the less.

Also you probably wont find any "fresh tracks" or wonderfull new "off piste" as it will all have been tracked out before!! NehNeh Laughing Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The piste map is some times very unreliable and you'll not be quite sure what run you're on. One minute you think it's a blue with a nice set of moguls up top and nicely prepared piste down below, then shock horror a dodgy "tree stump" is found in the middle of the lovely bashed piste......... Shocked (- remember the crying game?)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan, Sounds like you are speaking from personal experience?!?! Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarah L, errrr errrrr Shocked I haven't had a "Crying Game" incident............at least not to my knowledge..............and living in Brighton I guess it may raise more questions than answer............ NehNeh rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More news from EasyJet....

They're doing away with the weight restrictions on hand luggage. As long as it's not more than 55x40x20 cms and you can lift it up into the overhead locker yourself you can take it on board!!

That's really going to help out with taking kit away on skiing holidays because ski boots will be able to go as hand baggage!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know about EasyJet but with Ryanair this is being viewed as a preliminary to charging for hold baggage...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Hopkinson, I know that on long haul flights I was surprised at the cost of excess baggage with BA when booking Sydney for Hannah, and the relatively low limits before the excess charge cuts in. Strictly 23kgs hold and 6 kgs hand luggage - but GS plus slalom skis, two sets of poles, boots etc alone came to 16kgs - then there's ski tuning equipment which she 'had' to take. When you're away for more than a month, that doesn't leave much room for essentials like clothing!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've mixed feelings about this - I quite like sticking my luggage in the hold - but I don't like waiting for it to come out the other end! And doing it all as carry on is okay, until 100 people all try to reach the limit...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit OFF TOPIC but might be useful ........
PG, my experience on BA long haul is you can usually get away with a few kgs extra without charge. If you can hold up the hand baggage at check in without obvious distress, they'll rarely weigh it. Size of hand baggage so it fits the locker is more important for all airlines. Here's a bit from the BA web about checked baggage. It seems grossly unfair that you can have 64kgs to many destinations but incur high charges for the per/kg excess baggage to others. There's no justice.
Quote:
To, from or via USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Brazil and Nigeria:
Two pieces each weighing no more than 32kg (70lbs) and being more than 158cms (62ins) total dimensions (length+width+height).

UK Domestic:
One piece weighing no more than 32kg (70lbs) and being more than 158cms (62ins) total dimensions (length+width+height).

For all other routes, total baggage allowance by cabin:
FIRST 40kg (88lbs), Club World and Club Europe 30kg (66lbs), World Traveller Plus, World Traveller and Euro Traveller 23kg (51lbs).

Single pieces of baggage
Please note, it is not possible to accept any single piece of baggage weighing more than 32kg. This is due to Health and Safety reasons. Please check the weight of your baggage before you leave home.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At the end of the day everyone has to pay for their own weight they take on board etc. It will come to the stage where you get weighed with your baggage. I can't really help too much the weight I am as I am 6ft 4. It may come to chopping off my legs or something and getting some light weight titanium ones Wink I know i'll end up paying more, but then i'm weighing more than others so i guess it's fairish Evil or Very Mad

In south america, can't remember where, but there is a total limit of something like 100kgs - that's you and your bags!

PG, I think the international allowance here is usually 32Kgs + hand luggage.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dan,
I heard something on the news the other day that 'larger' people would start paying extra if some airlines get their way. Can't remember which airline in particular was quoted, but I think it was on the BBC breakfast show. I'm also over 6 foot, and it paying extra meant you were guaranteed extra leg room then there could be some value in it.

If they did calculate the total weight allowance based on the person + baggage, then just think how much luggage I could pack 'on behalf of' my 2 year old (who has to pay full price btw) !
snow report
This is all from reading between the lines, so it might not all be accurate.

It seems to me that they're more pedantic on longer haul flights because it's more critical. They have less excess fuel, they burn more fuel anyway, and they need to reduce the number of fuelling stops as they can cost a fortune. Short haul, where you think it might be more critical, they often have fuel for two flights on board so refuel while they're landed anyway.

The first major cost an airline has to outlay is on the airframe, hence the lost cost model of using the aircraft as much as possible (which makes it difficult to apply it to long haul), and then it's the fuel. The reason why catering and stuff is paired back is because they can be. You can't cut the fuel usage unless you restrict the weight, and I think that most airlines realise that that might be commercially disadvantageous.

It's the very small aircraft where they have to put total weight limits. Wasn't there a crash in the US not too long ago caused by over-loading of passengers and luggage?

Weight is estimated by using an average passenger weight plus luggage limits (that's why, if there's more than one person travelling, if you can, get all the bags on the scales together, they weigh the total and divide by the number of people). The average weight of a passenger is now higher than the earlier estimates, so they have to come up with a new formula.

Dan, it's 20Kgs + hand luggage for some routes.
snow report
Jet2.com have released winter flights alresdt, and they do leeds-bradford to geneva. I can do leeds from our house as easily as liverpool, so I thought I'd check out either a cheap weekend early season like late november in Tignes, or perhaps later on for a birthday trip (Jane is 17th Aprl and I'm 18th)

Flights run from 18th december to 3rd April. Grrrrrr
snow conditions
Quote:
To, from or via USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, Bermuda, Brazil and Nigeria:
Two pieces each weighing no more than 32kg (70lbs) and being more than 158cms (62ins) total dimensions (length+width+height).

UK Domestic:
One piece weighing no more than 32kg (70lbs) and being more than 158cms (62ins) total dimensions (length+width+height).

For all other routes, total baggage allowance by cabin:
FIRST 40kg (88lbs), Club World and Club Europe 30kg (66lbs), World Traveller Plus, World Traveller and Euro Traveller 23kg (51lbs).

Single pieces of baggage
Please note, it is not possible to accept any single piece of baggage weighing more than 32kg. This is due to Health and Safety reasons. Please check the weight of your baggage before you leave home.

It's worth noting that the following on BA:

Snow Ski Equipment
Defined as one pair of skis and ski poles, one pair of bindings and boots - is carried as one piece of baggage under the piece system. Under the weight system the equipment is included in the baggage allowance and then normal excess baggage charges apply.
A snowboard or monoski will be classed as one piece of baggage for the piece system and within the passengers total weight allowance for the weight system with normal excess baggage rates applied if excess to the allowance.

So you can take those plus a 32Kg suitcase with no extra costs where the piece system applies - ie US & Canada.
latest report
Swiss (used to) add the skis and boots on top of the baggage allowance for no extra cost. That may change, especially when they become Lufthansa (Switzerland) Wink
ski holidays
davehk wrote:
It's worth noting that the following on BA:
Snow Ski Equipment
Defined as one pair of skis and ski poles, one pair of bindings and boots - is carried as one piece of baggage under the piece system. Under the weight system the equipment is included in the baggage allowance and then normal excess baggage charges apply.
A snowboard or monoski will be classed as one piece of baggage for the piece system and within the passengers total weight allowance for the weight system with normal excess baggage rates applied if excess to the allowance.

Yes, I was intrigued by that (applies for Oz/NZ too) but didn't press it when booking with BA as my daughter had two pairs of skis, poles, etc. Don't really see what difference it makes (ie whether one or more pairs) as long as the weight limits are adhered to? In the event, no questions were asked when checking in, so that was one argument I didn't have. Impressed so far - their unaccompanied minor service was excellent getting out there, involved changing planes at Heathrow plus a stopover in Singapore...

On another issue, we weighed her gear to the nearest gramme before leaving home and the BA scales were at least 15% out! (Under.) Good news for us but a bit worrying if their calculations are similarly 'accurate' for the total weight of the aircraft!
ski holidays
Quite, U wouldn't want to run 15% early - or even 0.15% early for that matter.
snow report
I was at Southend airport many moons ago when a BAC1 11 went off the end of the runway - always a bit tight in those days for the landing of jets. A 15% underestimate of the actual weight being carried wouldn't help in such circumstances....

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-07-04 18:56; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
These off-piste pilots terrify me.
latest report
PG, usually book 2 pairs of skis as one pair, as we carry them in one bag. Have got away with it every time so far.
ski holidays
Ditto Helen!
snow report
OFF TOPIC but so are most of the posts here
Quote:

These off-piste pilots terrify me.
Laughing
Got stuck in Lyons Airport charter tent (sic) once when Air Algerie managed to aquaplane a 737 off the end of the runway on a wet day. Well it doesn't rain much in Algiers. No practice.
Closed the airport for a few hours. Until they build a proper terminal, I will never ever use Lyons again. On the charter side there are queues for everything, it's filthy (waste bins overflowing) and nothing to eat or drink (sold out even before the delays).
snow conditions
Luck of the draw I suppose - I've always preferred Lyon to the likes of Geneva. Was there last Tuesday - quiet, few queues, clean, about as 'efficient' as regional French airports get.

On north African airlines, Air Tangiers flew us from Gib to Tangiers once in a Dakota I think, I could see the spray from the waves all the way. An unforgettable experience - unfortunately!
ski holidays
Continung off theme last yr at Lyon I noticed what looked like bird droppings on the lattice steelwork just above the "food" sales counter. I was in the queue and looked over the partition to see about 30 more drops on the counter (not overly fresh). One of our party was an environmental health officer who confirmed the nature of the mess.

Still bought a sandwich though, which was not of the usual french standard. Lyon departure lounge is a cattle shed. Oh yeh, another of our party was a dairy farmer who reckoned his shed was cleaner and had more facilities.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any departure lounge can be a 'cattle shed' if you're there at the wrong moment. I've flown to and from Lyon myself not far short of 100 times, and have dropped off/collected people there on plenty of other occasions. Standards there are perfectly 'average', in my experience.
latest report
PG, I'm talking only of the charter side of Lyons which was (probably still is) the pits. A glorified tent. The scheduled airlines terminal might be OK. Is that what you used ?
I'm with you on Geneva. Used it last two seasons and deeply unimpressed. So with Chambery now overloaded by Crystal's billies and often fog bound, it might have to be the snow train next time..........

Edit - you beat me to the post PG. I do agree any airport can be bad in times of trouble but I've hit rock bottom standards of service and cleanliness on each of the 3 times I've used Lyon. That was a few years ago, I concede but I've heard reports it hasn't changed. Been around a bit and it is my all time worst airport experience.
Glad that you and your clients have not experienced this but you've been very lucky, I think. And already I have some support in naming and shaming Lyons so I'm not making this up. Cool

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 7-07-04 9:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
kuwait_ian, I've never taken a charter flight. All my holidays, to any part of the world, have been diy. And reading all the horror stories, queues, transfers etc, I'm not about to start now!
snow report
PG, if you can afford it - very wise.

Of course low cost airlines give the charter boys a good run for their money but do contribute significantly to airport overloading. I was amazed at the number of Easyjet flights in and out of Geneva - and pleased when my last airport transfer took 10 hours (Belle Plagne - Geneva !!)
and Easyjet got us all home.

I think we have to get used to the idea that any glamour there ever was in air travel is long gone. But I'd still like to be able to buy a bottle of water and a baguette in an international airport lounge. Not too much to hope for surely.
Rant over. I feel better now. Cool
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, I don't think it has cost me any more. Last-minute flights, standbys, self-catering accommodation booked up direct with owners, sometimes only when I've got to the airport. It doesn't really matter where you're going, it's possible to get a bargain at least on an equivalent with charter prices, but it does imply a lot of work sorting it all out. Worth it though, in the end, I reckon.

Of course I realise that it makes all the difference not having to arrange holiday dates in advance at work.
snow report
PG, I hear what you say. I've been impressed by the experiences of DIY related by you and other snowHeads. My impression is it's all a lot easier these days with the internet and low cost airlines. More work and less chance of success perhaps a few years back when you might have needed the help of a friendly travel agent? I'd guess, however, that most 1st time skiing holidays, if not taken as part of a group of friends, still use a package operator for convenience. And most are trouble free and enjoyable. Cool
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, last experience of EJ from Geneva I'm aware of is a couple of colleagues who had to drive home (from Geneva) Shocked

And I'm flying out there with them in September Skullie

Anyway, I've recently changed ski holiday booking to DIY and wouldn't go back to pakage. I find it easier to DIY it and I get to know the destination better.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, I agree with you....the charter side of Lyons Airport is the absolute pits!

Advice to anyone flying through Lyon is check in at the Charter terminal then use the covered walkway to get into the main terminal building - have coffee/sandwiches there and relax until it's nearly time to board...only then go an get trapped in the awful departure "lounge"! The only problem then is if your plane is delayed and you're still stuck in that dreadful tent on those horrible plastic seats for hours!!
snow report
homphomp, TVM - Good Advice. But isn't there a security check before you get into the holding pen ? That also had horrendous queues when I was there so wandering off to the nicer areas was less of an option. Take care, people. Can't remember any problems in-bound however.
OFF TOPIC - again ........
Why don't more operators do 10 day holidays with one journey mid-week? So much more civilised. What do they do with all these planes and coaches during the rest of the week ? Sunday transfers are a good idea if you are using a package deal. Quieter airports and roads to most resorts. 7 days is often too short for a ski holiday and 14 days often too long (especially for smaller resorts where you'd run out of runs on Day 3) and too expensive. I can remember 10 day packages in the late 70s / 80s. But I don't think any company now offers them.
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, I'm going to have to go and explore next time I'm at the Lyon airport (early August), sounds a fascinating place! I'm seriously intrigued now. Tents, pens, bird droppings, cattle sheds, sounds like a good feature for the snowHead articles section....

I suppose the almost universal Sat - Sat accommodation bookings system is the major obstacle to your 10 day hol suggestion. The only easy way to get around this is via the DIY method - book a week somewhere, with a B&B night or two at either end, somewhere else. Just think of the luxury of those delay-free trips to and from the airport!
ski holidays
There is improvement work going on now to Terminal 2 but going by the photos this is NOT the hated charter terminal and doesn't include lounge facilities pdf file - needs adobe acrobat

Also found refs to St Etienne airport - is that another of the tiny ones in the area ? Might be a better option for independent travellers. Ryanair go there.
ski holidays
Quote:

the almost universal Sat - Sat accommodation bookings system is the major obstacle to your 10 day hol suggestion
but for the club hotels or chalets where an operator takes the whole place that need not apply. Since it did exist once, I assume it just died due to lack of demand. I loved them. If you had an iffy day health or weather wise, you could miss out on the slopes or visit a nearby town and still get a deal of skiing done.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy